Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Dude has 2+ years to go on that contract. Definitely not a lame duck right now.

I like it. Not a lot else he can do but support what we have. Telling that we're not already at full COA - that was supposed to be done YEARS ago.
I'm guessing Don knows he really isn't in a position to fire spav. He wants to keep his job when a new president comes in. This is pretty much the only lever he can pull. This letter maybe gives Spav the push to fire his brother (although the defense really hasn't been the biggest issue the last two weeks honestly).

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
I'm guessing Don knows he really isn't in a position to fire spav. He wants to keep his job when a new president comes in. This is pretty much the only lever he can pull. This letter maybe gives Spav the push to fire his brother (although the defense really hasn't been the biggest issue the last two weeks honestly).
And he’s effectively shut down the reason for this thread. We can collectively quit pissing in the wind about something that will not be happening any time soon (sorry Gary Patterson).

TxSt1992

Hello.

View attachment 2159

Increased recruiting and operating budgets for a lame duck head coach. I am conflicted.
This needed to be done. Being wishy, washy in the situation that we find ourselves in, just invites more disaster and negative energy unto the program. All things being equal, its the difference between finishing 2-10 vs a 4-8 or better. Granted both records suck, but, if no one is leaving this year or next, you can at least build somewhat better with a couple of wins in November. I genuinely believe that this team has the talent to finish up the year undefeated in November, including an upset of Coastal to finish at 6-6, but it would require a monumental change in attitude within the football program. Coryell is one of the very few people that can give that "pep talk" to Spavital. Or at least try, which to Don's credit, he is doing.

TxSt1992

This is just par for the course for TXST during the Larry Teis era. Cereal, no milk. Eggs, no bacon. Ham, no cheese. Build a nice stadium and basketball arena, but almost nothing on the training side of things. Essentially show a shiny surface to the world, and do the best you can to hide the hollow interior so no one can see. This is truly the bobcat way of doing things. Wouldn't be surprised if cost of attendance was promised with extremely slow implementation.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Better article:

SchoolAnnual Athletic Fee% of Revenue paid by student fees
TXST
$600​
49%​
UTSA
480​
43%​
ULL
$30​
1%​
ULM
$40​
2%​
Sam
$593​
52%​
SFA
$0​
0%​
UH
$90​
16%​
Marshall
$420​
22%​
USM
$600​
26%​

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Started reading that and was pleasantly surprised at Don announcing the firing of Spav, just to be wrong. What a weird email. More money to reach out to kids in the portal?
Timing is curious. Is that what they're using Tom Madden's $25K for?

EatEmUpCats

It's been a while since I put any real thought into this, because I know it isn't happening at all, but w/ everyone else wishcasting, I'll throw this one out there:

HC: Jim Leavitt
Current DC @ SMU
Former HC @ USF - he started the program and had solid results from Day 1: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jim-leavitt-1.html

OC: Kevin Kelley
Current HC @ Presbyterian (FCS)
Former HC @ Pulaski Academy (HS) - the guy who never punts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kelley_(American_football)

That would give us the older, established head coach who knows what it takes to run a program and has experience coaching in Texas. As well as an exciting offense that's going to score points.
Leavitt sure I’d be down with. Hard hard pass on Kelley. Gimmick guy…getting his hat handed to him vs real competition this year.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Gimmick guy…getting his hat handed to him vs real competition this year.
In his 1st year on the job. Absolutely dominated in HS. Bet next year looks more competitive for him. Besides, don't need him to be 100% no punt guy, but he's incredibly innovative and creative on offense and wins with lesser athletes. Lord knows we could use some x/o help.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
In his 1st year on the job. Absolutely dominated in HS. Bet next year looks more competitive for him. Besides, don't need him to be 100% no punt guy, but he's incredibly innovative and creative on offense and wins with lesser athletes. Lord knows we could use some x/o help.

Here is a segment Gameday did on him:

View attachment 2163

EatEmUpCats

View attachment 2163
Yes it’s year one, but he doing significantly worse than the guy they canned for him. He didn’t have lesser athletes in his time at Pulaski Academy. Recruited and had much better than anyone he played. Too much of a “hey look at me” offensive genius type for my taste…but I could be wrong (but I’m not) 😉

franslasttwinkie

Pretty solid retread hire. Didn't realize he was from that corner of the country.

This is what competent programs do...... they make hires before there are several dozen openings across the country so they don’t have to pick dead last. 💡What a novel idea eh. We get behind the chains on offense and coaching hires.....nothing to see here