Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

John Dutton

High school coaches for a first job make me more nervous than a safeties coach that’s a big name recruiter. As often as it’s successful I think it bites you in the tail just as much. I’d love to see Scott be a part of the staff though. As a position coach/recruiting coordinator.
With you on the Gary Patterson idea though. I’ll do some digging on that front.
We need someone that has proven they have a good offensive scheme and have executed one as a coordinator or head coach. I’m a fan of Morris background, Texas Tech OC then Head Coach. I would be buying him some steak dinners.

Who is the OC for Coastal? That offensive attack had us so scared that our corners were 10 yards off the line. Call him

Bobcat2010

You should probably specify what you mean by "this", because while it's possible for Spav to be fired w/ a bad loss to a bad ARST team, there's zero chance of us hiring JWash to replace him.
If every point in the statement comes true, I will kiss both of you.

Coach loses to Ak St.
Coach gets fired
Don hires Washington

It’s a beautiful dream and I would enjoy each action.

*Don would then only be referred to as Big Dick Don.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Who is the OC for Coastal?
Willy Korn calls the plays. Would think he's at the top of their list if/when Chadwell is hired away.

That offensive attack had us so scared that our corners were 10 yards off the line.
That's our base D. We are allergic to the LOS on the edges.

We need someone that has proven they have a good offensive scheme and have executed one as a coordinator or head coach. I’m a fan of Morris background, Texas Tech OC then Head Coach. I would be buying him some steak dinners.

Who is the OC for Coastal? That offensive attack had us so scared that our corners were 10 yards off the line. Call him
I think Spav was reigned as an offensive and developmental guru no? Also, like someone said, the OC at coastal will likely replace chadwell this year.

Also, Washington might bring a Leach disciple. That’s as proven of an offense as any. Lincoln Riley, Sonny Dykes, Graham Harrell all offensive coordinators coming from that tree. With Washington being under leach, that might be your offensive scheme answer.

John Dutton

I think Spav was reigned as an offensive and developmental guru no? Also, like someone said, the OC at coastal will likely replace chadwell this year.
My Aggie buddies warned me about the bubble screens and draws and unfortunately they were right. Perhaps this time. we can actually try to understand the type of offense our coach plans to run. . Who better than someone that showed us first hand on the field. Morris and Korn/Chadwell. I agree Korn looks young and that would be a gamble with all recruiting ties in SC. Although looks like a strong recruiter as he recruited those wide receivers that made us look inferior.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Sources tell me Spavital’s job is riding on this Ark State game. I also have on good account that Jason Washington is eyeing his alma mater eagerly. Again, I want what is best for TXST. I do not think Spav continues to run the program, and I would wish him the best if we were to part ways.
With that in mind, I think Washington is the best choice to be the next leader of our program, providing Morris doesn’t want the job (as I have also been told is the case).
I will do my part and have already started to make my voice heard to administration, but if you agree with me, please don’t hesitate to call and email Coryell, etc. We as long time fans should have a say, and it would be good for everyone to know how much we care about the program. So again, call, email, and push for who you think the candidate should be. Multiple people can influence this decision.
I don’t want someone who isn’t right for the job. I believe Washington is the right guy!
Great news and if that is the case, I hope we lose 44-0 but where did the buyout money we supposedly do not have suddenly come from?

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Did one of those 2 go straight from HS head coach to college HC? Nope. So no. McGuire is certainly a big risk, but cut his teeth at Baylor prior to getting a head coaching gig in college. Neither of those is even close to the stupidity of UNT.
those guys didn’t land head coaching jobs because of their college resumes.They can simply recruit because of their HS connections. Austin is a hot HS football market and if there is a coach that can help us recruit that area, that wouldn’t be too bad. Granted you knew Spav couldn’t coach before I did.

DrumCat

Also, Washington might bring a Leach disciple. That’s as proven of an offense as any. Lincoln Riley, Sonny Dykes, Graham Harrell all offensive coordinators coming from that tree. With Washington being under leach, that might be your offensive scheme answer.
Uhh, that's what we were promised with Spav, so I don't think that's a big sell to Bobcats right now.

Uhh, that's what we were promised with Spav, so I don't think that's a big sell to Bobcats right now.
I don’t disagree, but I was responding to another post about the need for someone with great offensive schematics. Believe it or not, being good on offense is still important! Despite Spavitals pitfalls.

B

Bakertxst04

Spav can recruit, but he’s not a head coach.

Go Redwolves.

Speaking of the Redwolves, I wonder why Butch Jones is having such a terrible first season? Blake Anderson generally fielded a competitive team each year, but they seem to have really fallen off this year. It's certainly possible that Anderson felt that he wasn't able to focus on his team as much as he should and that was part of what led him to take the job at USU, but it seems like they are one of the few teams out there doing worse than we are.