2020 Commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Go back and look at how bad ULs recruitment was when they got their new coach. Terrible, but here they are.
This is only a good comparison if we start killing it immediately.

Napier was hired December 2017. Spavital was hired November of 2018. So really easy to compare.

Louisiana's 2018 class that was mostly completed by previous coach = 5th in the Sun Belt (105th nationally), only 18 total commits and 6 3-stars, 80.01 average
TXST's 2019 class that was mostly completed by previous coach = last in the Sun Belt (133rd nationally) , only 16 commits and 5 3-stars, 79.73 average
I can see plenty of similarities with these classes though Louisiana's was certainly better on paper.

Louisiana's 2019 class that was Napier's first full class = 1st in the Sun Belt (76th nationally), 26 commits and 22 3-stars, 81.96 average
TXST's 2020 class that is Spav's first full class so far = last in the Sun Belt (132nd nationally), 6 commits and 4 3-stars, 81.08 average

Napier's first full class at Louisiana was really, really good. We don't appear to be on pace for really, really good right now with Spav's first full class. But we shall see.

BobcatRaider

Napier was hired December 2017. Spavital was hired November of 2018. So really easy to compare.

Louisiana's 2018 class that was mostly completed by previous coach = 5th in the Sun Belt (105th nationally), only 18 total commits and 6 3-stars, 80.01 average
TXST's 2019 class that was mostly completed by previous coach = last in the Sun Belt (133rd nationally) , only 16 commits and 5 3-stars, 79.73 average
I can see plenty of similarities with these classes though Louisiana's was certainly better on paper.

Louisiana's 2019 class that was Napier's first full class = 1st in the Sun Belt (76th nationally), 26 commits and 22 3-stars, 81.96 average
TXST's 2020 class that is Spav's first full class so far = last in the Sun Belt (132nd nationally), 6 commits and 4 3-stars, 81.08 average

Napier's first full class at Louisiana was really, really good. We don't appear to be on pace for really, really good right now with Spav's first full class. But we shall see.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member

I don't understand how we aren't at least beating ULL in recruiting. I've been to Lafayette and driven through on I10 several times. They literally have nothing to sell recruits on. Not to mention that Napier's first class that was 1st in the Belt was built while they weren't good and were on a downward trajectory. So, you can't say "well they win, so recruits want to go there."

In my opinion, we have been under performing in recruiting since the move up and that's a huge reason we have under performed on the field. We had one class in 2017 under Withers that I would consider on par with what we should expect every year, but outside of that class, we haven't done anything.

LSU Bobcat

I don't understand how we aren't at least beating ULL in recruiting. I've been to Lafayette and driven through on I10 several times. They literally have nothing to sell recruits on. Not to mention that Napier's first class that was 1st in the Belt was built while they weren't good and were on a downward trajectory. So, you can't say "well they win, so recruits want to go there."

In my opinion, we have been under performing in recruiting since the move up and that's a huge reason we have under performed on the field. We had one class in 2017 under Withers that I would consider on par with what we should expect every year, but outside of that class, we haven't done anything.

They've been FBS since the 70's and Hudspeth did a good job of making them relevant since 2011. Not too surprising they can recruit better than us. Louisiana as a place to live sucks. Luckily I only lived there for 5 years, but damn it blows outside of everything outdoors related. Which i did love. And frankly Louisiana kids > Texas kids. Texas kids are soft. 7 v 7 has seems like it killed defense in Texas. Our staff will have to do a better job to recruit between Louisiana all the way to Georgia.

txphi592

M&G Gift Planner/Donor
M&G Collective Member
Half of my family is from and around Lafayette, great people, great culture, great food....city is a total shithole. No way they have more draw to a 18yr old kid than San Marcos. I wonder if they recruit LA locals, I can see some local studs staying close to home.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Half of my family is from and around Lafayette, great people, great culture, great food....city is a total shithole. No way they have more draw to a 18yr old kid than San Marcos. I wonder if they recruit LA locals, I can see some local studs staying close to home.
great people, great culture, great food....city is a total shithole.

Leave out the culture part and that fully describes Troy, Statesboro and Funroe. Conway is no garden spot.

TheRevSWT

You really can't see how we aren't beating the Cajuns in recruiting? They have a history of at least being competitive, have a great party atmosphere, have an engaged (debatable, I'll grant you, but definitely FAR more engaged than ours) fanbase, are in a solid recruiting area, an indoor practice facility, and a great gameday "event" feel to it.

They have the intangibles that we lack tremendously (except for the indoor practice facility, which obviously is an objective benefit over us).

I don't think anyone can truly argue the other side to this. We have (for our competition) tremendous facilities, have had coaches with pedigrees of varying success, a great location/campus, and plenty of opportunity for growth/playing time. We should be absolutely killing it in recruiting. I'd even argue we should be one of the top recruiting schools in G5. Yet, we struggle year over year.

TheRevSWT

As much as San Marcos should have going for it in recruiting, you're still just putting makeup on a pig with a 29-67 record since joining FBS football.
No, it's not putting lipstick on a pig... Because nobody is trying to say we are not as bad as we think we are. We all are explaining that we are underachieving and we are struggling to understand why given that we have many positives in our favor.

I'd love to hear why we are struggling from someone that has some reasonable rational reason... Because it's escaping me.

- We have facilities
- We have location
- We have decent (and I think that's downplaying it) facilities
- We have a fanbase that is proven to show up and support a winner
- We have, in some form or another, "name" coaches...

I know what is missing is a dedicated fanbase and a gameday atmosphere that makes it apparent that we are serious about football. And truthfully we lack a history of consistently putting players in the NFL. Our guys seem to historically go in spurts, not the consistent one or two a year in perpetuity like I'd prefer to see.

DrumCat

No, it's not putting lipstick on a pig... Because nobody is trying to say we are not as bad as we think we are. We all are explaining that we are underachieving and we are struggling to understand why given that we have many positives in our favor.

I'd love to hear why we are struggling from someone that has some reasonable rational reason... Because it's escaping me.

- We have facilities
- We have location

I know what is missing is a dedicated fanbase and a gameday atmosphere that makes it apparent that we are serious about football. And truthfully we lack a history of consistently putting players in the NFL. Our guys seem to historically go in spurts, not the consistent one or two a year in perpetuity like I'd prefer to see.
I guess the "pig" I'm referring to is our record. We can show a recruit shiny facilities and a river, but at the end of the day it's hard to sell someone on a losing program.

Don't get me wrong, I entirely agree that we should be able to out-recruit the conference every year. This is why I like the juco route. Do whatever it takes to get the wins, the bowl game, the conference championship. The recruits will follow.

thevaklav

I guess the "pig" I'm referring to is our record. We can show a recruit shiny facilities and a river, but at the end of the day it's hard to sell someone on a losing program.

Don't get me wrong, I entirely agree that we should be able to out-recruit the conference every year. This is why I like the juco route. Do whatever it takes to get the wins, the bowl game, the conference championship. The recruits will follow.
Yeah, I'm sick of hearing about the "potential" our program has. I'm ready for us to freaking realize that potential.

Funniest I heard was "we should be the Boise State of the south" I can't remember who said it, but damn I wish that were true.

Bobkat34

Justin... not sure I agree or disagree with this point.

Like Withers that was only removed from 1 bad season by Fran (3-9), he could sell a team that was 6-6 and 7-5 in years before that. And I'm sure he did. Could argue ULL has been able to do the same thing. Its not like ULL has been like us the last 5+ years. They haven't.

At this time (most juniors), what has that 2017 class done so far?
Starters: Twyford, King, Rodgers?, Haydel, Jordan, Patton.. that is it
Backkups: DT Daniels, Newman,
Barely play: RB Nelson, Brannon, Dimery, Roach, Smith, QB Gipson, LB Harris
Others that aren't to this point sniffing PT: Carlile and Wilkins

So 8 out of 30 are important players on this team with at least 3-4 transfer or kicked off team. That is what got Kevin Sumlin fired at A&M. Signed 6 LBs in his 1st true class and only 1 played entire 4 seasons at LB while 1 moved to 3rd/4th string DT, another quit after year 1, and 2-3 transferred out. The next 2-3 seasons they were moving people to LB.

My point is 8 out of 30 playing by junior year is not great. We missed on a good amount and have a few we still hope pan out be it backups or the barely playing now group (8-9 that may see more PT next season like Brannon, Gipson at WR, Nelson or Smith at RB, etc...)

LSU Bobcat

- We have facilities
- We have location
Just to play devil's advocate:

-Our facilities (indoor practice for example) lack compared to others like u la la, arkie stat, and others.
-We have far more competition in recruiting in-state kids compared to other universities in our conference
-We've only been in FBS for a few year
-We've been pretty irreverent in college football
-Our fan base would rather party and drink, float the river, or go watch their favorite sports team in Orange down in Austin
-Our coaches are fairly young and we have a very young HC who probably isn't qualified to be HC

I imagine it's quite easy to negatively recruit against us.

It's probably going to take a ton to change the direction of our football program and that change probably starts at the top.

Bobkat34

LSU may be harsh in some of his statements but I don't think he's wrong.

I too am disappointed in the same ol thing (O is less than and D is better than). Its just going to take longer than we had hoped. I've been saying it since I realized that we were losing so many experienced players and yes one could say impactful like LBs London/Daniels to go with 3-4 more in Griffin/Vinson/Alley and then another solid group of Davis, Waddy, CB/S Taylor, S Smith to go with O guys like Brewer, Hays and White. While not the most dominant players on O, they've still be important. I'm telling you... 8-9 transfer (JC/grad -think SMU) guys togo with another 8-9 Freshmen is likely our plan.

QB - McBride is transfer #1 but I would NOT be surprised they take the best option to them be it JC/grad transfer or a FR talent they like
RB - Maybe but not most pressing need, especially if Smith is ready to go come Spring drills
WR - A pressing need to find minimum 2-3 (play makers any way possible by JC/grad or FR)
TE - Likely to take at least 1 to go with Hilts, Calloeutt, and maybe Aragon (if he grows into position)
OL - MOST PRESSING NEED; take 5 is my guess with likely 2-3 transfers and 2-3 FR
DL - must find replacement for DE Davis; I'd expect to bring in 2-3 still here unless needs are elsewhere LB/DB
LB - I would think 4-5 (thought 6 before but with Graham likely to return, I hope, 4-5 should do and have 4 committed now)
CB - Always important to take 2-3 here almost every year
S - Again, take 2-3
K/P seem to be in better position since Fran's tenure
That comes to about (1 QB, 0 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 5 OL, 3 DL, 5 LB, 3 CB, 3 S) that is 24 ships and if McBride is #25, there you go. Not sure if K we took late Orona is blueshirt or grayshirt this year. Again, some of those 3 like DL or even DB may be 2.

My best guess but I'm willing to bet I'm not far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.