2024 Depth Chart

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the two-deep. Do you believe our talent level is better or worse than last year?

Concerns:

1. Center remains a concern.
  2. Our starting cornerbacks struggled against the run, recorded zero interceptions, and allowed opposing quarterbacks a passer rating of over 100. The backups didn't fare much better at their previous spots.
  3. Can our linebackers fill the void left by Brian Holloway?
  4. Can Beau Sparks and Kylen Evans step up to match Ashtyn's production, minus the dropped balls?
  5. Depth at Safety. Can our backups play?

Strengths:

1. Starting safeties may be the best duo in the conference.
2. Deep at the DT/DE positions.
3. 4 out of 5 Olinemen have all-conference abilities.
4. Our skill position players are explosive and reliable.
5. Jordan McCloud.

Attachments

slycat

How will defense adapt to new coordinator?

I feel good on offense but would like to see more WRs get in on the action this season.

How quick will McCloud get going in the new system? JMU fans say he had a work ethic problem. Is that real? How much more can Kinne coach up a polished player?

Mpf43

Mcloud caught onto jmu quickly

Love halloways play but he was on the roster and barely played before last year. We have proven starters and i think the combo may be better than last year even if hallaway cant be replaced.

Center looked like an issue going into last year as well and i think we have better overall depth.

Maybe i am too optimistic?

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Having a new defensive coordinator, especially one who is a rookie, is definitely a concern.

As far as McCloud catching on at JMU, it actually took him a while. Btw, he wasn't the opening day starter. Slycat mentioned concerns about his work ethic. In fact, there's an article where JMU's head coach kinda ripped McCloud for being out of shape and not preparing hard enough in practice or the gym. It was the second half of the year where Jordan found his rhythm and produced most of his stats.

Hope you're right Mpf43 about the combination of our new starters at LB being more productive than last year's duo. That Holloway didn't start ahead of Sione Tupou is more evidence that the Spavital brothers stunk as coaches.

Good stuff!

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

Hope I. Walker can find a place on the depth chart to have an immediate impact. Liked what I saw from Landry in limited capacity last season and would like to see him have a big impact as well as a true so.

Simbo0722

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the two-deep. Do you believe our talent level is better or worse than last year?

Concerns:

1. Center remains a concern.
  2. Our starting cornerbacks struggled against the run, recorded zero interceptions, and allowed opposing quarterbacks a passer rating of over 100. The backups didn't fare much better at their previous spots.
  3. Can our linebackers fill the void left by Brian Holloway?
  4. Can Beau Sparks and Kylen Evans step up to match Ashtyn's production, minus the dropped balls?
  5. Depth at Safety. Can our backups play?

Strengths:

1. Starting safeties may be the best duo in the conference.
2. Deep at the DT/DE positions.
3. 4 out of 5 Olinemen have all-conference abilities.
4. Our skill position players are explosive and reliable.
5. Jordan McCloud.

View attachment 6471
I think we have plenty of O lineman to fill all the gaps. Todd played well last year as did Scott. The corners did struggle but the new DC is a DB coach and that has to help. We also have a very experienced CO- DC to assist. I agree with others the new LB duo is much better on paper than last years pair. Although Holloway was a beast and single handedly made the LB position succeed. Don't sell Donley short at WR I think he will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup. Ashton will be missed but I think we have enough to fill his void, not to mention we still have the Spring portal to sign more WR's. Safeties will absolutely shine, and both the OL and DL will be much better than last year. The RB room will be very good and don't sleep on Pare he should be RB2. Again, if McCloud is not killing it we have the portal "Chandler Morris". One more thought what is the status of Adeleye, Tummise has he been dismissed?

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I think we have plenty of O lineman to fill all the gaps. Todd played well last year as did Scott. The corners did struggle but the new DC is a DB coach and that has to help. We also have a very experienced CO- DC to assist. I agree with others the new LB duo is much better on paper than last years pair. Although Holloway was a beast and single handedly made the LB position succeed. Don't sell Donley short at WR I think he will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup. Ashton will be missed but I think we have enough to fill his void, not to mention we still have the Spring portal to sign more WR's. Safeties will absolutely shine, and both the OL and DL will be much better than last year. The RB room will be very good and don't sleep on Pare he should be RB2. Again, if McCloud is not killing it we have the portal "Chandler Morris". One more thought what is the status of Adeleye, Tummise has he been dismissed?
Ashtyn had a very average season last year. He fell to our #3 and ran the risk of coming off the bench this year. Crazy to think, but his drops and looseness with the ball changed the way the staff viewed him. Hopefully Spav's system helps him recapture what he had with Hatcher.

Love where your head is at about McCloud possibly "not killing it" in spring. Though he's "anointed", this staff has shown they don't tolerate a lack of production on the field. If you can't, they will find someone who can.

RB room is deep. Hankins and Burgess were all-conference players last year, so will be interesting to see how it plays out with Pare.

Adeleye is done. He needs to focus on becoming a productive member of society.

dont. tell. hunter. hell install the next version of his kangaroo court and rally the pitchforks in masses.
Hadn't heard about this one. Yeah, evading arrest is dumb but nobody got hurt so who cares. Looks like the unlawful carry of a weapon charge was probably because of his age - he was arrested just 9 days before his 21st birthday when it would have been legal...oof. 🥴

BiggThadd

Just wanted to say thank you to those of you who have already signed up and join the collective! We really appreciate the support.

we do need help growing the social media pages on Twitter/X and Instagram.

@golden_nil_

were using the hashtags #GoldenEra and #GoldenAthlete

Simbo0722

Hadn't heard about this one. Yeah, evading arrest is dumb but nobody got hurt so who cares. Looks like the unlawful carry of a weapon charge was probably because of his age - he was arrested just 9 days before his 21st birthday when it would have been legal...oof. 🥴
Yea there is a good chance the evading is just a class "A" Misdemeanor. Hope fully he learned a Lifes lesson.

Bobcat1

I won’t give out any details, but I’d be surprised if he’s on the team even this Spring. There’s a reason why he went the evading route. 😬🤐