Episode 16 - 2005: A Football Odyssey

TXST Marty

Co-op Gift Contributor
Pull out your RAZR's because we are taking a step back in time; a blast from the past; a recap of the 2005 season. Eat your heart out, Mariah.

Let us know if you have a favorite memory from the 2005 season.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
2005 may still be my favorite year of TXST football. And even more special cause it was year 1 for me.

Some highlights (and lowlights):
Game 1: Delta State - First ever TXST game! Didn't know what to expect going in. Started a chant in the student section making fun of some poor Delta State player (not my proudest moment looking back), met some random girls at the tailgate and took them back to my apt to drink my new roommates vodka who I had just met a week prior at halftime (also not my proudest moment looking back, x was a dick at 20). Bobcats struggled to win but did win.
@ A&M - First ever TXST away game! And #2 wouldn't come for years later. Just moved from Bryan to SM a couple weeks prior so had friends there and a free ticket. The drive there was eerie as I was about the only car heading towards the coast as Hurricane Rita was heading our way, bumper to bumper traffic heading the other way. Game was competitive and Aggies were squirming till the end. Drank lots more vodka. Had one final hookup with an old fling who was an Aggie. Got back in SM Friday morning in time for my 11am class.
Panhandle State - Think we had about 50 points at halftime in this one. Panhandle State was D2, but it was varsity vs. JV out there. We were 5-1 after this game and I started to realize we were for real.
@ Nicholls - Listened to this game on the radio (yeah radio, yall kids are spoiled with your ESPN+ and 3 these days). This was a rivalry for a reason. One of only 2 regular season losses along with A&M as Nicholls won as a big home underdog in OT. Had a friend come into town that weekend, went to square that night, got snaked up to shake off the loss.
McNeese - I was new to TXST/Southland/FCS football. Everyone said "oh this McNeese is the team in the conference you have to watch out for! They're so good!" Bobcats rolled 49-7. Next.
@ SFA - First Texas "rivalry" game on the schedule. I actually made plans to go to this game in Nacogdoches and stay with someone I knew from HS, but square got me the night before and I couldn't make the drive. I'm noticing a trend here, I probably drank too much at that age.
SHSU - Other rivalry game. This time at home. Bobcats win a share of the conference championship with a win. TXST wins in OT and student section rushes the field and celebrates with the players. One of the big highlights of the season.
Georgia Southern - This was the only home game I missed that year. It was thanksgiving weekend and I decided to stay at my parents for the holiday weekend instead of heading back to San Marcos, plus it was on ESPN2 (TV games of any capacity were exceedingly rare back then). After falling behind early we score a ton unanswered to head to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Cal Poly - By this point of the season we were selling out the stadium (which held 16k at the time). Even as a student by this game you had to go to the ticket office to get a ticket the week before the game. First come, first serve. Me and some friends got tickets on a weekday before they sold out. Bobcats won a close game 14-7 to make it to the semi-finals. We were ranked something like 4th in the country at this point. Hell maybe as high as 2nd going into UNI.
Northern Iowa - Student tickets were all taken for this game about 2 hours after the end of the Cal Poly game and I didn't get one. None of my usual group I went to games with did. To this day, this is the one and only TXST game I've ever had to buy a ticket off a scalper for. Yes, there were scalpers roaming outside Bobcat Stadium for this game. Weird to think about. This is the first TXST game I ever went to by myself. Student section was shoulder to shoulder and nobody sat the entire game. Kid in front of me had a camelback on filled with vodka and fell down about 9 times before the cops dragged him out. I had a group of girls around me who didn't know much about football and kept asking me questions. As we took a knee with about 90 seconds and 2 timeouts left in a tie-game shootout I didn't have an answer for them. The entire stadium was looking around asking what we were doing. The rest is history.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
As we took a knee with about 90 seconds and 2 timeouts left in a tie-game shootout I didn't have an answer for them. The entire stadium was looking around asking what we were doing. The rest is history.
Ahh, the infamous knee...

Pretty sure I was in middle school during this season. Never knew TXST was making a run for a national championship. I was following UT's run though. It seems like every year we have a good season, UT also has a good season. If we ever catch fire like that 05 season or even 08 season while UT is having a down year, we'll likely pull in a lot more casual fans.

Bobcat1

As we took a knee with about 90 seconds and 2 timeouts left in a tie-game shootout I didn't have an answer for them. The entire stadium was looking around asking what we were doing. The rest is history.

1:23 and we had all three time outs left and the wind at our backs. Not that I (or any of the Bobcat faithful there that day) remember. If you've never been to a Bobcat game in late December with everything on the line, let me tell y'all it was an incredible experience.

Bobcat1

Ahh, the infamous knee...

Pretty sure I was in middle school during this season. Never knew TXST was making a run for a national championship. I was following UT's run though. It seems like every year we have a good season, UT also has a good season. If we ever catch fire like that 05 season or even 08 season while UT is having a down year, we'll likely pull in a lot more casual fans.

Nealy had an identical season (stats wise) as Vince Young and ran faster than him at the NFL Combine that year too.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
1:23 and we had all three time outs left and the wind at our backs. Not that I (or any of the Bobcat faithful there that day) remember. If you've never been to a Bobcat game in late December with everything on the line, let me tell y'all it was an incredible experience.
That was before I was a student and a fan so all I know about this is what other fans have shared about that game.

That sounds pretty shady to me. Like we were taking a dive at the end.

Did local media press him on that? Did Bailiff ever explain his thinking?

Bobcat1

That was before I was a student and a fan so all I know about this is what other fans have shared about that game.

That sounds pretty shady to me. Like we were taking a dive at the end.

Did local media press him on that? Did Bailiff ever explain his thinking?

Bailiff said Nealy had been struggling with the 2:00 offense all week and throwing INTs in practice, so he felt the percentages were better to win it in OT. He was right on all accounts, but since we lost the game anyway we all would have preferred to try and get the 30-40 yards needed to give our kicker a chance and end it in regulation.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
The 2005 season was my first season as a student at TXST. I transferred from a community college in Waco down to TXST in January ‘05. Just so happens TXST played Baylor the season in Waco so I was able to go to my first TXST game in ‘04. We weren’t all that good so I didn’t have very high expectations going into the ‘05 season.
It’s been so long now that I don’t remember who I went to the first game with, I’m pretty sure it was the Delta State game. I went to the game as someone who loved college football but wasn’t really a fan of TXST, yet. I just remember having a lot of fun at those early games even though the stadium was pretty empty. I seriously considered going to the A&M game but decided against it at the last second. My friends and I got together to watch it on TV. Even though we lost, that game changed all of our minds and made us TXST fans. We went to just about every home game after that, watching the team get better and better, and watching the stands get fuller and fuller. I remember being stunned that we lost to Nicholls, it almost seemed that we were guaranteed to win every game by that point. Then the Sam game. From what I remember it was a sell out (if not it seems like it was close to a sell out). When we scored during OT to win, it was if then entire student section reacted without thinking twice about rushing the field. Being the klutz that I am, I jammed my toe jumping down from the stands onto the track, but I didn’t care I ran onto the field as fast as I could. I would definitely hurt myself if i tried that today, lol.
When the playoffs came, I remember ESPN showing up early in the week to setup at Bobcat Stadium. They had a giant crane with with extra blinding lights that peaked out from above the press box because our lights must have been too old and too dark for their cameras. The first game against GASO was Thanksgiving weekend so the stadium wasn’t sold out, but it was still a good crowd. It was awesome watching us come from behind to beat the crap out of them. We then played Cal Poly at a sold out BCS. Then came UNI. I remember the tailgate leading up to the game. My friends and I were shooting flaming Dr Peppers back at our apartments at Bobcat Village. It’s was really really cold. I’m trying to remember if I had to buy tickets or if I was lucky enough to get fee tickets (I think they were free). When they opened the gates to the stadium we all rushed up the ramps to try and get good seats. The students were in the stadium during warmups for what seemed like an hour before the game, chanting and getting rowdy. We stood on the bleachers for the entire game, never sitting and rarely getting quiet. I even made plans with other students I had never met to go to the Championship Game (I’m pretty sure it was In Chattanooga at that point). The memory from the playoff games that stood out to me was just how electric the atmosphere was. The cheerleaders took the giant maroon Supercat flag on top of the press box getting the fans riled up. And of course the back and forth Texas State chant that we were actually able to execute properly. I heard that you could hear us chanting that all the way across town. UNI didn’t go the way we wanted, but we all know that story.
My take away from the 2005 season was that I believe this was the point the school and students truly began to embrace the Texas State name. Even though I hadn’t been a student very long, before that season nobody seemed to care about TXST and there still seemed to be hard feeling about the name change. But the vibe I got on campus was that we were proud to be Texas State and we embraced it. That season solidified me at a life long bobcat, no matter what. I can’t wait for us to bring that magic back to San Marcos.

TXST04

I still hold on to the conspiracy theory that it was our young OC by the name of Tom Herman who decided to call the kneel down plays and instead play for overtime.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
And of course the back and forth Texas State chant that we were actually able to execute properly. I heard that you could hear us chanting that all the way across town.
Man 2005 TXST chant >>>>>> current TXST chant.

Not sure when it become normal to do 3 chants then "eat em up eat em up go cats go", but the chant was so much better back then before it somehow became ritual to stop after just 3 chants.

Used to build and build and get LOUD.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Man 2005 TXST chant >>>>>> current TXST chant.

Not sure when it become normal to do 3 chants then "eat em up eat em up go cats go", but the chant was so much better back then before it somehow became ritual to stop after just 3 chants.

Used to build and build and get LOUD.
Yea, I hate that it doesn't go back and forth. It's usually 1 or 2 guys saying Texas and the rest of the crowd in just that section saying State.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
Now that the student section is back on the “light side” I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t try it again. Back then part of the cheerleaders would hold up a sign to the “dark side” that said “TEXAS”, the other cheerleaders would hold up a sign to the “light side” that said “STATE” and everyone would just follow along. It worked really well.

Bobcat1

Now that the student section is back on the “light side” I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t try it again. Back then part of the cheerleaders would hold up a sign to the “dark side” that said “TEXAS”, the other cheerleaders would hold up a sign to the “light side” that said “STATE” and everyone would just follow along. It worked really well.

It was a young marketing intern in '04 (***cough*** me ***cough***) who had the idea to have the cheerleaders (they were my responsibility on football and basketball game days, make sure they showed up on time, make sure we had a BOKO, make sure there were at least enough for decent visibility) coordinating at specific time periods (i.e. at the 8:00 mark of the 2nd quarter, after touchdowns, at the 8:00 mark of the 4th qtr) to do it from one side of the stadium to the other. Have to say it worked better when both sides of the stadium were full, so it would probably work better now that we have more numbers than back then.

To give y'all an idea how far Texas State has come: back then there legitimately were concerns whether or not the cheerleaders would show up (it was loosely "mandatory"). Some football games we'd have 3 or 4 total cheerleaders show up. During one basketball game, we had 2 show up and yours truly had to be BOKO until one of the student volunteers (we rotated two at the time) finally showed up early in the first half.

Cheerleaders/marketing need to get on the ball on that again, with better communications it should be easier to coordinate the chant from one side of the stadium to the other.