Game Thread - Vs. Mid-American Christian

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
If you can't tell I haven't been as active around here lately. That will probably continue so unfortunately I don't think I can be relied on to create game threads for basketball/baseball anymore. Particularly detailed ones.

Home opener is tonight in Strahan vs. NAIA Mid-American Christian. They won the NAIA National Championship in 2016 and went 20-13 last year so not a terrible lower level team by any means. Still should be a cakewalk for TXST though. MACU lost to D1 Omaha by 25 the other day.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
43-21 at halftime.

Got a little sloppy defensively towards the end of the half.

Shooting well, 56% from the field, 46% from 3, and 77% from the FT line.

Newcomer Brandon Davis leads all scorers with 13, Dawson has 11 with three 3s made, Harrell has 7, and freshman Davion Sykes has 5.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Cats get their first W of the season 71-53.

That's probably a pretty good NAIA team, but after a really hot start we just didn't look great on either end of the court really for the last 60% of the game or so. MACU actually cut it to 9 in the 2nd half at one point.

Asberry and Small are going to be difficult to replace. And we really need to get healthy with Ceaser, Gatkek, and Kennedy out for various reasons. Anyone have any info on Kennedy yet? No clue what's up there. Gatkek was dressed out but didn't play so hopefully he'll be back soon. Ceaser's injury looks long-term unfortunately. Hopefully we can get him back at some point this year. I'm predicting we'll struggle in non-conference play but hopefully we start to figure things out by January. Either way, this will probably be a bit of a rebuilding year compared to the last 2 years.

Shot poorly in the 2nd half after a pretty good 1st half and turned it over waaaaaay too much. Improved at the FT line tremendously from game 1 to game 2 at least.

4 guys in double figures. Davis (15), Harrell and Dawson (13 each), and freshman Sykes (12). Hopefully Sykes turns into a great player for this program. He's been in double figures in his first two career games as a true freshman so that's a good start.

At Rhode Island on Saturday.

carmanjello325

no excuses whatsoever. we just got outscored in the 2nd half by a naia team.

for reference omaha almost scored 100 points against them and finished dead last net ranking 346 in the summit last year. but sure in tj we trust i guess glad we signed that extension. the last 2 seasons have been made abundantly clear that he was still benefiting from a pretty decent squad that kaspar left him...

carmanjello325

but fear not we have a chance for redemption against rhode island who finished 11th in the a-10 last year a conference that is light years better than the sun belt but a team that finished with a similar net ranking as we did last season. but rhode island just lost to an ice hockey school quinnipiac that finished 8th in the maac and had a 231 net ranking last season. things are looking up tomorrow