Men's Golf Gets Win

GolfCat

Men have a little break until April 11-12 where they will travel to Charlottesville, VA to play in the inaugural Lewis Chitengwa Memorial Invitational hosted by UVA. This will be the last tune up before the SBC conference tournament April 24-27 in Eldorado, Arkansas at Mystic Creek Golf Club.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
So is golf just a bunch of tournaments to warm up before the conference and national tournaments? There isn't any "conference play"?

GolfCat

I'm not sure "warm up" is the correct term and you probably didn't mean it that way. I would look at it more as giving the coach an opportunity to take different players to find out how certain players are playing and how they compete while also fine tuning their games in certain situations all while trying to win. Golf can be very streaky for an individual and one can play great in the fall and then struggle in the spring or vice versa. Ideally as a coach you would like to field your best 5 players at every tournament. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. Now days there is really not any "conference" play. I would say that is because of conference realignment. Maybe for some of the bigger conferences you will have more teams within that conference playing at the same events. For example the teams in the SBC would almost require and extra day of travel to get to an event in some cases. Not sure what SBC schools hosted events this year but if you look at the schedule the Bobcats were scheduled to host and event in Dallas that was cancelled due to weather and So. Alabama hosted one. Those were the only two "conference" events we were scheduled to compete in. Years ago it was much different. SHSU, UTA, McNeese, SFA, ACU, Centenary, UT Pan American, along with a couple other LA schools hosted events so we didn't travel very far when we were in the SLC. Most tournaments are 54 holes with rounds one and two played on the first day and round three played on day two then travel home. We very rarely flew to a tournament, now it looks like they fly to several tournaments per year.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Thanks GolfCat. I've never paid attention to college golf unless it was in front of me (on the local news, SportsCenter, etc). Seems weird to me that there isn't conference specific play, but that's just because that's what the sports I follow do so I'm used to that format.

geezer

Don't they still play each other during the time between tournaments?
Then the coach uses those scores to rate his players.

GolfCat

Don't they still play each other during the time between tournaments?
Then the coach uses those scores to rate his players.
Just speaking from experience, there are qualifying rounds conducted between tournaments within the team to determine what players will go to the next tournament. In certain instances if a player or multiple players performed well at the previous tournament they could be exempt from qualifying and already have a spot locked up for the next event. In other cases a player may qualify for an event and may not be able to go due to a scheduling conflict with an exam in a class where maybe a professor may not be willing to work with the player on being able to take the exam at a different date. Of course, things are probably much different in today's age. I am referring to the way it was 35+ years ago.

GolfCat

This one annoys me. Both his parents are Bobcats, and I see their updates on FB all the time. (I'm annoyed he isn't a Bobcat, not that his parents are proud of him)

View attachment 2434
Struggled a little in that event. However, seems like a solid player. RS Fr. in the fall and had a 73.3 scoring average in 4 events. My guess is he was recruited by Joey Ashley who was our assistant and left for UTSA last year.

Years ago it was really hard to recruit golfers to San Marcos. The main reason was lack of facilities and especially a home course. Let's face it, the old Quail Creek wasn't much of a test or eye appealing for a collegiate golfer. Speaking from experience we had 4 or 5 different "home" courses. My first year we played QC and Woodcreek. The next year we played QC and Northcliffe in Cibolo. Northcliffe was definitely a step up to what we had been playing. In my later years we would travel up to Berry Creek in Georgetown which was a pretty good drive for a "home" course. We were able to finally play some at Onion Creek. They allowed us to play there some because we helped on the driving range and parking lot when the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf was played there. Every once in a while I could get a group on Tapatio Springs (my sister was the merchandiser) and Barton Creek Lakeside (my brother had a good PGA relationship with Jack Bertram). Thanks to the generosity of Jim and Carol West the team now has pretty much a permanent home at Plum Creek with a really good facility. This move will allow the golf team to improve and be competitive in years to come.

Just a few of the accomplishments over the last several years, quite a few school records including five of the top eight player career scoring averages, four of the top six team season scoring marks, 10 of the top 13 player season scoring averages, three of the top four low team rounds and six of the top 10 low tournament totals in program history. Texas State set a single-season record for the lowest scoring average in 2018-19. The Bobcats also registered the lowest team scores for a single round at the 2019 Big Texan Tournament and two lowest 54-hole totals at the 2019 Big Texan and Lake Charles Invitational. The Bobcats also have turned in the top four individual averages in a single season and two best career averages since his arrival.

Now, here is the crazy part. Most of the Conference Championships (10) and one National Championship were all won back in the 80's and 90's when the Bobcats probably didn't play the nicest courses. I would venture to guess that those teams from the late 60's and 70 played at Aquarena Springs.

GolfCat

Guys struggled a bit in Virginia shooting +19 for the event and finishing 13th. Kaspar Nyland was lob Bobcat finishing at +3 for the event and tied for 34th. Virginia wins it with a team total of -15 nipping Tennessee by a shot. Coastal Carolina had the best score for the final round today at -6 for the team. Conference Tournament is next event.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor

GolfCat

Evan White won the SBC individual championship, team only finished like 6th or 7th or something unfortunately. Still, White will compete at regionals in Bryan this weekend:

Yea, I kind of slacked off for the men's conference tournament. Congrats to Evan for his fine play and individual championship.