Realignment Super Thread

vp98

It shall be interesting to see who will first play in a bowl game.....SFA, UIW, ACU, Tarleton, Jax St or TXST. Let the arms race begin! Who ever would have thought a decade after departing the Southland we would still be compared to FCS peers
No, that's UTA. We might have lost to an FCS team last year but for now are solidly in an improved G5 conference. Just need to at least reach middle of pack in football. Our Olympic sports are ok. Like nUTSAck, one of those teams in the weak CUSA may lose a bowl game or two before we do and everybody will be mad about it. nUTSAck will get theirs in the new AAC.

Last edited:

vp98

It may not immediately in football but I bet JMU comes to dominate the Sunbelt in most sports in a few years.

Bullcat

The conference competition has been enhanced with the 2022 arrival. This program had "Better buckle up".

vp98

This development less than two weeks after UTA names their new president on 2/1. That's what I call service.

UTA Athletics director Jim Baker to retire effective Sept. 1 | Sports | theshorthorn.com

Athletics director Jim Baker announced his retirement Tuesday and will step down officially on Sept. 1, according to a UTA Athletics press release. The university will announce a new Athletics director as soon as it is finalized, stated interim President Teik Lim in an Office of the President email Tuesday. In the email, Baker said he appreciates the university administration’s support during his tenure at UTA. He has been the Athletics director at UTA since Feb. 1, 2012, the same day UTA Athletics moved into the College Park Center.

“It’s amazing how fast the past 10 years have flown by and participating in the growth of the university has been wonderful,” Baker said.
Baker previously worked at Ohio State University, the University of Florida and spent 20 years with the University of Texas at Austin.
During his tenure at UTA, UTA Athletics has won 22 conference championships and made 12 NCAA Tournament appearances, according to the press release.

Baker played a key role in establishing the women’s golf program, the 15th intercollegiate sport at UTA.
Baker was a part of UTA Athletics' decision through three different conference changes, beginning with moving from the Southland Conference to the Western Athletic Conference realignment July 1, 2012. The decision took into effect for the 2012-2013 academic year.

UTA left the Western Athletic Conference after one academic year to join the Sun Belt Conference on July 1, 2013. On Jan. 21, the university announced its departure from the Sun Belt to rejoin the Western Athletic Conference, effective for the 2022-2023 academic year.

“I also want to thank the coaches and athletic staff for their engagement and assistance,” Baker said. “Most importantly, thank you to the student-athletes for making my job incredibly rewarding.”
@D_Tineo4
sports-editor.shorthorn@uta.edu
Andrew Tineo

atxman

So messy. Honestly, I think schools should honor their contracts. As an example, I don’t see why the remaining Big 12 schools should give up anything to let UT and OU out early unless those two schools pay what the current Big 12 rules say they owe. If rules are meaningless, it just creates a lot of instability. Big dollar schools like UT and OU can handle the instability. But instability is a bigger risk for schools like Texas State.

Bobcat2010

Signing a contract and canceling a contract are equal efforts. Plan accordingly.

I can’t wait to lose to JMU, Marshall, ODU, and USM in the Fall 2022. Or any combination. We still need a new AD and Football Coach.

atxman

What a cluster. Both conferences could release schedules on March 1, but that won't really provide clarity if this is stuck in some sort of legal process.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I mean, the Sun Belt one will be fine. It's CUSA that has the issue.

atxman

Maybe, unless a judge decides to issue some sort of order compelling all parties to stay put until resolution of disputes over their contractual obligations. I don’t think that’s happened in past cases, but I‘m trying to remember when schools just left while their previous conference was refusing to let them go without some sort of penalty. I also don’t know what penalties are in place for C-USA schools that leave before the departure time frame laid out in conference rules everyone agreed to years earlier. This is just unnecessarily messy.

gatorcat

M&G Collective Member
In the end it's all about money. I'm guessing there is a substantial amount of money at risk for CUSA.