Some Texas State Baseball History: 1904-2023

Artycat

M&G Collective Member
Many at Texas State University believe that the move to Division 1 athletics in 1984 was the beginning of Bobcat baseball but that’s not the entire story. I had started to gather information to create a book on the history of Texas State University baseball team (and one for football) but soon found out that information about the early years is incredibly difficult to find. However, finding pictures of some of the early teams was a fairly straight forward process thanks to the university archives digitizing the Pedagog, the former Texas State University yearbook (1904-1999). So, with that in mind I changed the idea to a photography book with brief descriptions of each picture etc. but after doing research for self-publishing I decided to shelf the project all together due to price etc. etc. I did want to show some pics, plus an interview with Dr. William C. Pool, a Texas State history professor and the baseball coach when the sport was an intramural self-funded activity (1929-1983), like Texas State Hockey today. Dr. Pool an amazing job to help keep a baseball presence on campus and was the first head coach after the revival of baseball in 1984.

1904-1929
I could not find any reason baseball was dropped in 1929 but if I had to make an educated guess it was related to the stock market crash and funding.

1905 bb team.jpg
1905 Baseball Team

07319b50daff5696917142586e72a435c15a1198.jpg
1906 Baseball Team

1908 bb team 3.png
1908 Baseball Team

1910 bb team sr.jpg
1910 Baseball Team

1920 bb team.jpg
1920 Baseball Team

1920 coaches.jpg
1920 Coaches
1929 bb team.jpg
1929 Baseball Team

1929-1983

Intramural baseball years couldn’t locate much information at all about this period, except for this interview.
Creator
Interviewee: Pool, William C.
Interviewer: Krchnak, Kent A.
Date
1985-November-13A
William Pool talks about his responsibilities as a history professor and baseball coach since coming to SWTSU in 1947.
https://archivesspace.library.txstate.edu/repositories/2/resources/86

Krchnak: You also served as the baseball coach here at Southwest Texas for a number of years? Is that correct?
Pool: Yes, off and on. Baseball’s one of my avocations. We had a fine team back in the student veteran days in ’48, ’49, and ’50, ’51. Then the Korean War came along and that sort of squelched it. Then we started university varsity ball in 1957, I believe, the spring of 1957, and it lasted until the year 1969 and ’70 when it was canceled out. We tried to start again as a club team in 1967, I believe it was, and finally after six long, hard years, [we] managed to get a NCAA varsity team, which we have now. Yes, I worked in that. I certainly did.
Krchnak: Was it enjoyable for you?
Pool: It was enjoyable. It was time-consuming. [It was] very enjoyable and sometimes a real financial hassle to try to keep our heads above water financially. We made it with the help of some good people downtown simply by subscription method—donations.
Krchnak: Uh-huh.
Pool: We were able to do it.
Krchnak: Did any of the students receive scholarships for playing baseball?
Pool: Not until two years ago. Since then, we have some of them on scholarship.
Pool: a limited number of course. The money goes into football, as you know, everyone knows.

1984-present
Baseball restarts at Texas State University in 1984
1984 bb pic4.jpg
1984: Dr. Pool and his team
1984 bb pic2.jpg
1984: Baseball Restarts

Last edited by a moderator:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Interesting takeaways from looking at those pics: Coach Strahn...w/ only the 1 a.... we had a gymnastics team? ....Coach Pool's jumpsuit/onesie had to be hotter than Hades in the TX sun.

geezer

The women's gymnastics team was very good when I was attending good old SWT in the 68-73 time-frame.

franslasttwinkie

The women's gymnastics team was very good when I was attending good old SWT in the 68-73 time-frame.
Did you by chance know any Kappa Sigs back then? My mom’s best friend was a DZ and her husband was a Kappa Sig in the 66-70 timeframe I believe.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I was browsing some of the original pedagogues last night and came across this photo of the 1906 team. Adding it to the OP for the record (hope that's ok)
07319b50daff5696917142586e72a435c15a1198.jpg

I also found a 1919 reference to a 9-2 victory over Baylor by a Normals pitcher named "Sigh" Tate.
pedagog00sout_0141.jpg

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Did you by chance know any Kappa Sigs back then? My mom’s best friend was a DZ and her husband was a Kappa Sig in the 66-70 timeframe I believe.
3 of our bigger donors were kappa Sigs but from mid to late 70s (Mike Bowman & Jim West) and one late 70s early 80s (Darren Casey)

CFOPhiCat

Many at Texas State University believe that the move to Division 1 athletics in 1984 was the beginning of Bobcat baseball but that’s not the entire story. I had started to gather information to create a book on the history of Texas State University baseball team (and one for football) but soon found out that information about the early years is incredibly difficult to find. However, finding pictures of some of the early teams was a fairly straight forward process thanks to the university archives digitizing the Pedagog, the former Texas State University yearbook (1904-1999). So, with that in mind I changed the idea to a photography book with brief descriptions of each picture etc. but after doing research for self-publishing I decided to shelf the project all together due to price etc. etc. I did want to show some pics, plus an interview with Dr. William C. Pool, a Texas State history professor and the baseball coach when the sport was an intramural self-funded activity (1929-1983), like Texas State Hockey today. Dr. Pool an amazing job to help keep a baseball presence on campus and was the first head coach after the revival of baseball in 1984.

1904-1929
I could not find any reason baseball was dropped in 1929 but if I had to make an educated guess it was related to the stock market crash and funding.

View attachment 4371
1905 Baseball Team

View attachment 6252
1906 Baseball Team

View attachment 4372
1908 Baseball Team

View attachment 4373
1910 Baseball Team

View attachment 4374
1920 Baseball Team

View attachment 4375
1920 Coaches
View attachment 4376
1929 Baseball Team

1929-1983

Intramural baseball years couldn’t locate much information at all about this period, except for this interview.
Creator
Interviewee: Pool, William C.
Interviewer: Krchnak, Kent A.
Date
1985-November-13A
William Pool talks about his responsibilities as a history professor and baseball coach since coming to SWTSU in 1947.
https://archivesspace.library.txstate.edu/repositories/2/resources/86

Krchnak: You also served as the baseball coach here at Southwest Texas for a number of years? Is that correct?
Pool: Yes, off and on. Baseball’s one of my avocations. We had a fine team back in the student veteran days in ’48, ’49, and ’50, ’51. Then the Korean War came along and that sort of squelched it. Then we started university varsity ball in 1957, I believe, the spring of 1957, and it lasted until the year 1969 and ’70 when it was canceled out. We tried to start again as a club team in 1967, I believe it was, and finally after six long, hard years, [we] managed to get a NCAA varsity team, which we have now. Yes, I worked in that. I certainly did.
Krchnak: Was it enjoyable for you?
Pool: It was enjoyable. It was time-consuming. [It was] very enjoyable and sometimes a real financial hassle to try to keep our heads above water financially. We made it with the help of some good people downtown simply by subscription method—donations.
Pool: We were able to do it.
Krchnak: Did any of the students receive scholarships for playing baseball?
Pool: Not until two years ago. Since then, we have some of them on scholarship.
Pool: a limited number of course. The money goes into football, as you know, everyone knows.

1984-present
Baseball restarts at Texas State University in 1984
View attachment 4377
1984: Dr. Pool and his team
View attachment 4378
1984: Baseball Restarts
Coach Pool was misquoted where he talks about starting club ball in 1967 - i should read 1977 - I was on the 77 club and it was a real struggle. Six years later, 1983, the club became a varsity sport again.