The past controversy and future of the Texas State University Campground

Howdy Cats, just an informational post here. While considering the nature of some recent decision-making on the Bobcats football roster, I had a moment of deja vu that brought me back to November of last year. News had just come to light regarding the slated sale of the Texas State University campground. River-loving Bobcat that I am, I was shocked and dismayed that this humble haven along the Blanco had been put up on the developer auction block, so to speak. I wasn't the only one who felt this way, and a pretty rapid public outcry ensued. I'll drop the pertinent news links below, but thankfully, President Damphouse reconsidered the agenda item that was slated for the Board of Trustee's meeting, and all was calm again. During the couple of days between the discovery of the plans and the decision to rescind them, multiple social media groups spring up for Alumni and Citizens to coordinate on saving the camp. I can attest that a good number of Bobcats felt dismayed and betrayed at the plans to sell our camp, but thankfully the waters calmed quickly, so to speak.

So what does all this mean for the future of the Ucamp? Well as noted, the prospective deal was done under the radar and seemingly without a competitive bid process. The planned buyer, Needmore Ranch, has made quite a reputation of getting what they want out of the land and community at all costs. Those in the Wimberley area know that battling Needmore over permitting and water concerns means battling entrenched interests and cronyism. Those same elements appeared to be at play in the decision making process by the regents and president. Probably in this case and all major decisions. Screenshot_20240120-091406.png

Last edited:

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
So what does all this mean for the future of the Ucamp? Well as noted, the prospective deal was done under the radar and seemingly without a competitive bid process. The planned buyer, Needmore Ranch, has made quite a reputation of getting what they want out of the land and community at all costs. Those in the Wimberley area know that battling Needmore over permitting and water concerns means battling entrenched interests and cronyism. Those same elements appeared to be at play in the decision making process by the regents and president. Probably in this case and all major decisions. View attachment 6336
Haven’t been since I was a kid in jrhigh or high school. Really need to get out there… when there is water in the river that is