The Positivity Thread

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor

After a disappointing season this at-least puts a smile on my face. I'm glad to see players with the team that still believe in competing for a championship next season. The mood of the lockeroom this spring season is as important as anything. Players putting in the extra effort during strength and conditional and getting the details right during spring ball (and *caring*) will matter.

franslasttwinkie

Poor Louisiana....could finish with 13 wins and had to settle for the contractual RL Carrier Bowl vs a meager 7-win soon to be conference foe. We have to renegotiate a P5 matchup for our top 3 SBC teams next time contracts are up. ULL would definitely get more fired up to play 6-win Auburn or SDSU who just suffered blowout loss to Utah St. It's looking like SBC is still ways away for placing a team in a NY6

Our top 3 teams this year combined for 8 more wins than their bowl opponents and with that they got those wins in CUSA and MAC...meanwhile 8-win UAB gets to play 10-win BYU in Independence Bowl

Last edited:
B

Bakertxst04

I do hope we get a better draw than a mid-tier G5 if we ever win our conference. Although for now I'd be thrilled to play in any bowl game so beggars cannot be choosers at this point.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
I do hope we get a better draw than a mid-tier G5 if we ever win our conference. Although for now I'd be thrilled to play in any bowl game so beggars cannot be choosers at this point.
One would assume ESPN would help make some changes to the bowl situation if the Sunbelt continues to have top 25 finishing teams. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because they will make more money with good bowl matchups.

Marcato

One would assume ESPN would help make some changes to the bowl situation if the Sunbelt continues to have top 25 finishing teams. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because they will make more money with good bowl matchups.
I really hope so

Bullcat

Watched the Independence Bowl between UAB and BYU. UAB won 31-28. The UAB program started in 1991. Gained 1-A status in 1996. Shuttered the program in 2015 and 2016 for financial reasons. Reinstated football for the 2017 season. The Administration should look at the path taken by UAB since the end results are not too shabby - 43 wins over five seasons.

2017 8-5
2018 11-3
2019 9-5
2020 6-3
2021 9-4

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Apologies, I've been trying to log in every day but I was very busy over the holiday. I didn't see this until I got home from work this afternoon - though I probably should have logged in last night before bed.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience y'all.

Last edited:

Bullcat

Another peer program that bears watching - Central Michigan. The Chippewas are playing well in the Sun Bowl against Washington St. A solid 8-4 MAC team. The uniform is sharp, not to mention good school colors. No good reason that cannot be the Cats someday.

Use the Texas weather as another recruiting tool - quite a few Texas players go north and end up transferring back to the state. Reminds me of the kinfolk that resided in St. Paul, MN and Buffalo, NY - the winters are a tad bit colder. One good memory of the Buffalo relatives - great aunt's homemade Italian meatballs.

Wishing all Bobcat fans and supporters a Safe and Happy New Year.

Edit: The Chippewas played with intensity and made the most of the bowl game experience. Even had a common opponent, FIU, a 31 - 27 win.

The state of Michigan bowl wins:
Western Michigan 52 ; Nevada 24
Michigan St 31 ; Pitt 21
Central Michigan 24 ; Washington St 21
Georgia and Michigan

Nemesis: Eastern Michigan 20 ; Liberty 56

The big schools should send thanks to the MAC for representing the state well.

For what it is worth: The Cowboys have had two backup QBs from Central Michigan: Cooper Rush and Gary Hogeboom.

Last edited:

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Spav and crew put together a game plan that lended success to the Bobcats against Baylor, who has proven to be an excellent team. Where did that go the rest of the year? Who knows. But maybe the guys can coach, and maybe we will win a lot of games next year.

vp98

For what it is worth: The Cowboys have had two backup QBs from Central Michigan: Cooper Rush and Gary Hogeboom.
Hogeboom actually started 10 games for the Cowboys. Danny White was nearing the end of his career and they were hoping Hogeboom could take over. He was compared to Staubach (you can stop laughing now) as he had a quick release and a great arm. He just threw too many interceptions. He was traded to the Colts where he was the starter for a while and ended his career with the Cardinals and then the Redskins. You might also remember he was on Survivor in 2005 until they figured out he was a former NFL quarterback and voted him out.

Bullcat

Hogeboom actually started 10 games for the Cowboys. Danny White was nearing the end of his career and they were hoping Hogeboom could take over. He was compared to Staubach (you can stop laughing now) as he had a quick release and a great arm. He just threw too many interceptions. He was traded to the Colts where he was the starter for a while and ended his career with the Cardinals and then the Redskins. You might also remember he was on Survivor in 2005 until they figured out he was a former NFL quarterback and voted him out.
@vp98 Thanks for the good and not so good Cowboy memories. The other early to mid 80s backups were Glenn Carano - Nevada-Las Vegas and Steve Pelluer - Washington. I will have to look for the ol' Blue Books - encyclopedias of Cowboy information.

The '83 Cowboys were the last of the great teams built by Schramm and Landry. The '84 team missed the playoffs for the first time since 1974. The '85 team made the playoffs as the NFC East division champion with a 10-6 record. The '86 team began the inevitable spiral downward due to age, injuries, and draft misses. Another example of building a franchise/program back up. It was painful to watch, but the end results were more than worthwhile.