Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
ADs don't typically involve themselves in coaching staff hires.

Going from OC to position coach is not a step up. It's the same spot he was in before he came to SMTX.
Going from a cellar dweller in the SBC even to a cellar dweller in the SEC is a step up. Drinkowtz is a real coach who has had success and you would think he’s makin more bacon at Mizzou.

John Dutton

Agreed, but I would think convincing anyone worth trying to hire would be almost impossible.
I have a feeling next season is going to be more of the usual misery.
There are always talented people ready to get their shot. I don’t know what we were paying those coaches but there is someone out there that would love the opportunity and can do a good job. It happens all the time, it’s time for our leadership to find those guys. Obviously, hasn’t been a strength of ours. To take the year off because we have a lame duck President and coaching staff is the Bobcat way. That’s why we’ve produced the results weve enjoyed forever. If I was the AD, I would go down swinging.

John Dutton

ADs don't typically involve themselves in coaching staff hires.

Going from OC to position coach is not a step up. It's the same spot he was in before he came to SMTX.
Who would be responsible for telling the Head Coach, he should no longer be calling plays and should hire a solid OC to replace Peeler. Are all those decisions left up to the Head Coach that reports to the AD? I would think the AD would want some control over those decisions because those decisions will impact the evaluation of his performance as AD.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
You can think that all you want, but that’s not how it works. ADs veto red flag hires, but they don’t go find assistants for HCs. Not that it hasn’t been done, but the results are predictably poor.

John Dutton

You can think that all you want, but that’s not how it works. ADs veto red flag hires, but they don’t go find assistants for HCs. Not that it hasn’t been done, but the results are predictably poor.
I was responding to a post that said we will most likely promote from within because we are in some lame duck status. My point is that is not going to work out well for our program or the current leadership. If you’re the AD, would you just let Spav say we’re hiring from within and just nod your head ok???

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
If I was AD, I’d have already fired Spav, so that’s not a particularly realistic way to approach this topic.

You’ve got multiple hypotheticals going on, but your overriding theme is you want the AD to dictate who the HC hires, to keep the HC from further fucking up. While I don’t disagree whatsoever with your why, an AD deciding how a HC’s staff gets filled out isn’t exactly a recipe for success either. That causes problems in the staff, between the HC & AD, and messes w/ the chain of command.

That said, why does it matter who is named OC or where they come from? Spav is the OC, and we know that doesn’t change because someone else has the title.

John Dutton

If I was AD, I’d have already fired Spav, so that’s not a particularly realistic way to approach this topic.

You’ve got multiple hypotheticals going on, but your overriding theme is you want the AD to dictate who the HC hires, to keep the HC from further fucking up. While I don’t disagree whatsoever with your why, an AD deciding how a HC’s staff gets filled out isn’t exactly a recipe for success either. That causes problems in the staff, between the HC & AD, and messes w/ the chain of command.

That said, why does it matter who is named OC or where they come from? Spav is the OC, and we know that doesn’t change because someone else has the title.
We’ve spent more brain cells on this conversation than our dumpster fire is worth. I guess Spav is running the entire football program and we’re destined to hire a Tight Ends coach from current staff as co offensive coordinator to relay in the bubble screens and qb draws for 1 more year.. Perhaps the money we save in salary can be invested in that research firm that has made so many great recommendations in the past. If we are waiting on this new President to fix things, we will be even further in the hole.

Bobcat2010

The money TXST would save does not justify the harm the staff is doing during a lame duck off season. That recruiting pitch has to be depressing as hell.

I think I have arrived at the fire AD Don station. 1 ticket please.

TxSt1992

Who would be responsible for telling the Head Coach, he should no longer be calling plays and should hire a solid OC to replace Peeler. Are all those decisions left up to the Head Coach that reports to the AD? I would think the AD would want some control over those decisions because those decisions will impact the evaluation of his performance as AD.
Well. I think that is something to have considered at the end of this past season. Now that we're past the point on no return, as far as firing Spavital and hiring a new staff, now you have to trust Spavital's decision making through the end of next season. Anything else is just micro-management.

Mpf43

Ltk, i agree it is spavs offense but i want him to bring in somebody to help replace peelers recruiting. If i were spav that is what i would be looking for in an oc.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I mean, he's definitely going to backfill the position(s). Is there some concern that he's going to try and coach w/ 8 this season?

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Based on the TXST football twitter and recruiting if it isn’t a lock for Hamilton it’s atleast an audition. Like spav said “you want the OC gig? Go earn it. Lock down some recruits before signing day and it’s yours”

Bobcat1

With Evans at the helm finally at QB (or even Hatcher), In Spav I Trust. 😎

I see us winning 7-9 games, and a Bowl invite.

“We’re going to win games, we’re going to win championships, we’re going to win bowl games”~Jake Spavital, Nov 2018.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor

vp98

At least he is under 120. Look at Louisiana's coach at 129. Even better, our first opponent's coach is dead last. Total three coaches on our schedule are ranked lower than Spav.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
At least he is under 120. Look at Louisiana's coach at 129. Even better, our first opponent's coach is dead last. Total three coaches on our schedule are ranked lower than Spav.
The Nevada coach’s ranking is half the reason I posted it.

Bobcat1

We’re halfway there for a bowl game then! 😅