What Players Has Johnson Recruited?

BobcatRaider

Terrence Johnson has been one of the VERY few promising things about watching TXST athletics the last couple years, but what players did he actually bring into the program on the last two rosters vs. inherit from his predecessor? The portal had an insane amount of talent this past off season and while he brought in 2 seemingly useless UF transfers, he stuck to recruiting unranked HS projects and JUCO kids who continue to have low hit rates.

I’m certainly overreacting about basketball considering it’s November, but what a change from last year. It seems like the 2023 class is more of the same. Gumbs looks good out of SMHS, but then we took 2 JUCO guys with the same average stats as the Drinnion’s, Coleman’s, etc. of the roster.

It’s nice that Morgan looks like he’s finally come along as a senior but that may be more out of necessity. The Dawson/Martin HS class not panning out like we hoped is unfortunate. I’d say that 1/2 of our HS takes look like reaches, so that’s not surprising.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
The argument I've heard frequently is that Terrence Johnson brought in all the recruits we got under Kaspar.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I think that is the case. He’s the one w/ the AAU connections.

carmanjello325

great to see us back to davalos levels of competition and recruiting but nobody believed my criticism until now after face planting after some regular season titles. at least wbb looks finally serviceable. as the qaxi says the proof is in the pudding but we knew that after pvam mauled wazzu didnt we?

Last edited:

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Johnson was part of the staff that got Asberry here but he leveled up to be 6th man for OK State his last season.

They signed Shawn Jones last class but let him out of his NLI when bigger schools came calling. He’s played double digit minutes every game for Mississippi State so far.

Then you add in Ceasar hurt and both Florida transfers giving you nothing, that’s a lot of hits before the season starts. I’m assuming Kennedy isn’t part of the program at this point.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I swear I can't tell if this guy is intentionally trolling us, or if he really believes this.
I refuse to click “show ignored content.” I’m assuming it is Carmelo or whatever the name was as it’s my only block. I am not letting myself cuss them out this year regardless how bad the season gets 🤣😂

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Slycat is correct. I spoke at length with a division 1 assistant and his feeling was that the Sun Belt will remain a 1 bid league most seasons given the lack of financial support around basketball. Realistic expectations for this program are to finish at or near the top of the conference most seasons with the occasional conference tourney win. The nature of college basketball is that it is incredibly difficult to win a conference tournament even if you have a great team. You not only need to have the horses, but you need a number of other factors to go your way in 3-4 consecutive games.

The reality is the entire league needs big donors to step in to buy more workable schedules if it is ever going to be a perennial multi-bid league. Or we need to do away with the conference tournament altogether to guarantee the Sun Belt sends one of their best teams to the tournament every single year.

franslasttwinkie

Are you making the assertion that you can buy athletes? I thought paying players was against NIL policy? A lot of folks on the old board talked about after Houston's 13-win 2015 campaign in football that it was only a matter of time before Paul Wall's grills and donation money dried up at some point. Have yet to see the day but it will be a pleasant surprise the day when/if it arrives...

I'm also pretty sure they had Fertitta money back in 2011 when we beat them in basketball and in 2012 in football. LT/DT can't be the only reason why we were once in a peer group with Houston and we are now distant relatives.

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Are you making the assertion that you can buy athletes?
No. I'm saying that you can buy better schedules that make you more competitive for "at large bids" when you don't win the conference tournament.

If you make the tournament regularly, or your conference representative regularly wins first round NCAA tourney matchups, - it's going to increase the density of talent available to you in recruiting.