Wilson selected as Sun Belt Conference's Women's Field Athlete of the Week

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Press Release:

NEW ORLEANS — Participating in just her second event as a member of the Texas State track and field program, graduate student Alyssa Wilson picked up her first Sun Belt Conference Women's Field Athlete of the Week honor, the conference announced Wednesday morning.

"Alyssa has worked hard and has big goals this year," said Texas State Director of Track and Field John Frazier. "I am very excited she was able to get a good mark early, so now she can focus on getting ready for bigger things."

At last weekend's FasTrack Challenge on the campus on the University of Houston, Wilson set a program record with a 22.26m (73.03 feet) throw during her fifth of six attempts during the women's weight throw finals. Wilson's record-breaking throw is good enough for the third-longest throw in the country so far this season.

Wilson's throw was 2.3m further than any other student-athlete — male or female — in the Sun Belt Conference has thrown so far this season. The throw also made Wilson the only Sun Belt Conference student-athlete — male or female — to throw a weight 20-or-more meters so far this indoor season.

Additionally, the 22.26m throw was, personally, the third-longest throw of Wilson's track and field career.

Wilson is the Bobcats' first Sun Belt Conference women's field athlete of the week since Naomi Ferdinand picked up the honor on April 29, 2021, following a conference-leading long jump mark of 5.99m (19 feet, 8 inches) at the Drake Relays.

UP NEXT

The Texas State track and field program will return to action on Friday, Jan. 28, when the Bobcats travel to Lincoln, Neb., to participate in the Adidas Classic hosted by the University of Nebraska.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I know there are at the Conference and National Tournaments, but are there Team points/standings at the in-season tournaments? I look at the recap or results in the schedule page and see individual results/placings, but nothing for the team. Is there not a 1st, 2nd, 3rd Team at these?