Win Now or Get Bent Podcast

Mittens

I follow Keff on twitter and generally like his Win Now or Get Bent podcast. However his recent podcast following last weekend’s loss rubbed me the wrong way for two reasons.

1) Keff kept saying that while the loss was bad, there’s still 75% of the season left so no need to get too worked up. I mean ya, it’s true that there’s a good chunk of games left. However I’ve seen nothing from the team over the first three games to make me think that they’re on the right track or there’s going to be a dramatic turnaround for the remaining 75% of the season. If anything it seems like the team is trending the wrong direction this season (the same could be said about the general direction of the team overall since Spav was hired back in 2019.) I’m more worried about the remaining 75% of the season than being optimistic like Keff kept saying.

2) Keff was saying it would be bad optics to fire Spav after the season as this would be two consecutive firings of head football coaches after a three year run and it would scare off potential candidates. That reasoning makes little sense and is really letting the tail wag the dog. Withers was no prize with his 7 - 28 record. Spav hasn’t proven to be a winner either with an overall record of 6 - 22. Putting aside the remaining salary due to Spav (which Keff didn’t mention), why keep riding with the same horse when there has been little improvement in the team and things don’t seem to be clicking?!? Cleaning house (or at least having a new President that takes athletics seriously) would do wonders for bringing in a quality hire. Ya, the culture around the program has sucked for years. But if you told me I’d be missing the golden days of Fran when he at least fielded some winners, I would’ve thought you were crazy. Bottom line, if Spav isn’t working, get rid of him rather than delaying the inevitable rebuild.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
1) What Keff is getting at is there is still time for the team to take shape and show improvement. In theory, this team could turn itself around and show the needed improvement which would play favorably for Spav staying.
That said I agree with you that I'm not overly optimistic.
2) I agree with Keff on this one. He is saying that firing yet another coach after three miserable losing seasons would lead to potential coaches seeing that TXST's athletic department is a toxic environment that doesn't have the necessary items to win. I get not wanting to accept losing coaches, but after going through so many coaches that have the same results, maybe it's not the coaches fault they can't find success here.

Mittens

1) What Keff is getting at is there is still time for the team to take shape and show improvement. In theory, this team could turn itself around and show the needed improvement which would play favorably for Spav staying.
That said I agree with you that I'm not overly optimistic.
2) I agree with Keff on this one. He is saying that firing yet another coach after three miserable losing seasons would lead to potential coaches seeing that TXST's athletic department is a toxic environment that doesn't have the necessary items to win. I get not wanting to accept losing coaches, but after going through so many coaches that have the same results, maybe it's not the coaches fault they can't find success here.
Fair points. Although in regard to the program/athletics being toxic, I think that is an open secret. Given what came out after Withers was let go about the state of the program/issues with the AD, any applicant that goes in with their eyes open should know the state of things hasn’t been great.

With that being said, having followed the program since the 90’s, I’m tired of taking the wait and see approach and staying with coaches that aren’t getting it done. If things aren’t working, rip the bandaid off and figure out how to right the ship. Is Spav the right guy to lead the program for the remaining two years left on his contract? I honestly don’t think so.

franslasttwinkie

I get that Keff is a reporter and all and gets paid but he’s also a grad and deep down doesn’t seem to care much about whether or not TXST wins. All he seems to care about is that because we have been so bad for so long he pretty much runs a monopoly on TXST coverage because nobody else is even remotely interested in taking our stories.

His TXST passion is certainly a step up on Brandt though …that guy is straight up miserable being associated with TXST

TXST

I get that Keff is a reporter and all and gets paid but he’s also a grad and deep down doesn’t seem to care much about whether or not TXST wins. All he seems to care about is that because we have been so bad for so long he pretty much runs a monopoly on TXST coverage because nobody else is even remotely interested in taking our stories.

His TXST passion is certainly a step up on Brandt though …that guy is straight up miserable being associated with TXST
Not sure I agree with you on his feelings towards winning/losing. Why would anyone, reporter or not, enjoy following for a poor performing team?

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor

Keff absolutely wants the bobcats to be successful. Both on a personal level, and professional level. He even said he gets more listens after wins. He certainly has established himself well, but I think he sells more shirts, gets more plays, and has more opportunities with a winning TXST.

Bobcat1

I follow Keff on twitter and generally like his Win Now or Get Bent podcast. However his recent podcast following last weekend’s loss rubbed me the wrong way for two reasons.

1) Keff kept saying that while the loss was bad, there’s still 75% of the season left so no need to get too worked up. I mean ya, it’s true that there’s a good chunk of games left. However I’ve seen nothing from the team over the first three games to make me think that they’re on the right track or there’s going to be a dramatic turnaround for the remaining 75% of the season. If anything it seems like the team is trending the wrong direction this season (the same could be said about the general direction of the team overall since Spav was hired back in 2019.) I’m more worried about the remaining 75% of the season than being optimistic like Keff kept saying.

2) Keff was saying it would be bad optics to fire Spav after the season as this would be two consecutive firings of head football coaches after a three year run and it would scare off potential candidates. That reasoning makes little sense and is really letting the tail wag the dog. Withers was no prize with his 7 - 28 record. Spav hasn’t proven to be a winner either with an overall record of 6 - 22. Putting aside the remaining salary due to Spav (which Keff didn’t mention), why keep riding with the same horse when there has been little improvement in the team and things don’t seem to be clicking?!? Cleaning house (or at least having a new President that takes athletics seriously) would do wonders for bringing in a quality hire. Ya, the culture around the program has sucked for years. But if you told me I’d be missing the golden days of Fran when he at least fielded some winners, I would’ve thought you were crazy. Bottom line, if Spav isn’t working, get rid of him rather than delaying the inevitable rebuild.

I'm telling you guys, I've seen what this team can do with the right pieces in place. Once those are in, two on offense and one on defense, this team will be a different type of animal. I don't think Keff is wrong on this one.

franslasttwinkie

Sounds like the plan is to have end zone complex completed by around the time spring camp kicks off for 2025 but only if it gets funded in its entirety