2020 Commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmanjello325

We have quite a few offers out there and still no bites... it seemed like last summer we were starting to get some takers around this time.

DrumCat

Keff confirmed that Party In The Park will continue to happen this summer. I'd be surprised if that doesn't yield some good results.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I'm extremely curious to see what kind of recruiting classes we'll be pulling in under this staff. We really don't know much more now than we did the day Spav was hired. Really hasn't been any big excitement from the recruiting front yet under Spav. Hoping for some excitement this summer.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I expect our recruiting will get better every year from here on out. I think Spav gets our first bowl game ever next year and that will be a huge momentum booster. I think it's only going to take 6-6 to get a bowl since the belt will have 5 bowl games next year. Since our 2014 season, there have only been 2 years when more than 5 teams were bowl eligible. Meaning that if we hit that magic 6 win number, we should get a bid from the Sun Belt.

Bobcat87

JMO, but we’re coming off 3 horrendous years (I know that you can probably go back farther, but most potential recruits probably won’t), coupled with the fact that Spav and his staff are still relative “unknowns.”
Coupled together, I think it’s natural that recruits might be a little “cool” to the prospect of playing for “the school on the hill.” I hope that things heat up this summer, I wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t.
I think that Spav and company need to: put a good year together, play over their heads, produce better than expected, insert your favorite cliche here:
in order to get potential recruits excited about playing for State.

dshedd14

I expect our recruiting will get better every year from here on out. I think Spav gets our first bowl game ever next year and that will be a huge momentum booster. I think it's only going to take 6-6 to get a bowl since the belt will have 5 bowl games next year. Since our 2014 season, there have only been 2 years when more than 5 teams were bowl eligible. Meaning that if we hit that magic 6 win number, we should get a bid from the Sun Belt.
Spav is a national name so that in itself should help us a lot in the recruiting front. Who wouldn't want to go play for someone who coached a HEISMAN WINNER..

carmanjello325

JMO, but we’re coming off 3 horrendous years (I know that you can probably go back farther, but most potential recruits probably won’t)
let's go back to 2015... why does everyone seem to think that season wasn't terrible? we've had 4 straight terrible years so why do I keep hearing 3?

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, it's been 4 bad years preceded by 2 mediocre seasons, preceded by 1 bad season in transition, preceded by a ton of mediocre seasons lol.

We haven't had a truly great season since 05... Nearly 15 years ago. Before that was the early 80's championships in D2...

For us to reach the potential I believe we are capable of, we will need to have several 8-12 win seasons over the next 5 to 10 years. That will completely change the landscape of Texas recruiting and where we fit in the hierarchy of Texas FBS football.

Bobcat87

let's go back to 2015... why does everyone seem to think that season wasn't terrible? we've had 4 straight terrible years so why do I keep hearing 3?
I was being kind . . . .

If you want the complete unvarnished fugly truth, we’ve had like 7 winning seasons in the last 30 some odd. I actually figured out the “actual numbers” once, but just don’t feel like going through it again . . .

. . . Besides, it harshes my mellow . . .

slycat

We had good recruiting under EW. Top of SBC or near the top a couple of years. So far Spav had done zero on the recruiting front. Until he does literally something, it is hard to say he will do well or bad.

As far as going 6-6 this year, I just don't see it. I expect more of the same with the defense slipping a little. Maybe next year but I don't think we have the QB to really be good yet and we haven't recruited one yet either so that puts us a few years out from getting one to the JR to SR level.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
If Withers hadn't been let go before the last game, we probably would have won that final game and been 4-8 on the season. That's with 4 games lost by a touchdown or fewer and the South Alabama game that ended up being a 10 point loss that we were winning with just a few minutes left. I fully expected Withers to win a minimum of 6 games next year and think we easily traded up on coaching staff capabilities.

Our offense only needs to be moderately improved to win 6 next year. Let me put it this way, if we don't win at least 6 next year, it will be a failure of a year.

Bobcat87

If Withers hadn't been let go before the last game, we probably would have won that final game and been 4-8 on the season. That's with 4 games lost by a touchdown or fewer and the South Alabama game that ended up being a 10 point loss that we were winning with just a few minutes left. I fully expected Withers to win a minimum of 6 games next year and think we easily traded up on coaching staff capabilities.

Our offense only needs to be moderately improved to win 6 next year. Let me put it this way, if we don't win at least 6 next year, it will be a failure of a year.
If the team coming back were to run the O and D schemes they’d learned under Withers, then I think your expectations of 6 is a little more realistic. Yes, we have some talent coming back, but they’re having to learn totally new O and D schemes. Could be some mistakes in that learning process, especially early on (could even cost us some games . . . we’ll see). Not sure I’d lock in a hard 6 or it’s a bad year, but I do agree that 6 is within reach.

DevilDog7396$

M&G Gift Contributor
We had good recruiting under EW. Top of SBC or near the top a couple of years. So far Spav had done zero on the recruiting front. Until he does literally something, it is hard to say he will do well or bad.

As far as going 6-6 this year, I just don't see it. I expect more of the same with the defense slipping a little. Maybe next year but I don't think we have the QB to really be good yet and we haven't recruited one yet either so that puts us a few years out from getting one to the JR to SR level.
I feel our defense will be our strong suit for this upcoming season. I feel it will be an easier transition for our defense than our offense learning the new offense. My biggest concern for the defense will be the defensive line. Overall, we need to improve greatly in our kicking game/special teams. As for wins this upcoming season, I'm seeing four to six wins. Having a much improved kicking game will definitely help us reaching six wins. Really looking forward to this upcoming season. As I have done for the last thirteen seasons, I will have my motorhome at each home game always looking forward to meeting fellow Bobcats.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
The best anyone should expect is steady improvement throughout the year. The team will probably look like garbage the first few games. As they get more comfortable with the offense and they start to put up points, recruits should start to take notice.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's definitely concerning that we don't have any commits just yet. Even though I expect it to pick up at some point, especially as we improve, it's odd that no one has committed.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I think it's definitely concerning that we don't have any commits just yet. Even though I expect it to pick up at some point, especially as we improve, it's odd that no one has committed.
Compared to Frank Wilson, Spavital is an amateur recruiter. Bobcats can remain optimistic because Seth Littrell started off slowly his first couple of years. After proving his system worked, he's now a beast on the recruiting trail. It's a wait and see for me (I suppose for recruits as well), but Spavital better be a damn good coach. Otherwise, the program will be in trouble for at least a few more years.

Last edited:

Bobkat34

While many of you are discussing starters, I'm beginning to wonder if the defense will have a major shift in 2020 since we have 7 LBs graduating (Vinson, Graham, Lewis, Griffin, London, Daniels, Alley) not including Hines at DE. Its been noted we'll be versatile by DC so we'll go 3-4 and 4-3 or anything in between (3-3-5 probably some, etc...). Will be interesting how we recruit this year.

Nothing from early offers seem to show much difference but currently we only show 7 OLB offers and 3 ILB offers. Seems low with 7 leaving at this point and considering we likely sign most in December.

Part of me feels this staff more than others past will care less about stars based on some of their signees this 2019 class but it was a short time to recruit so I could be wrong. Sure hope the Party in the Park has good results.

For what its worth, A&M had not had many recruits visit yes but they have plans to soon as I'm sure TXST does.

Bobkat34

Quick look at 24/7 offers:
QB - 5 (wondering if we expect someone to leave or will take 1 QB per class as HC mentioned liking to have many QBs)
RB - 7 (with about 5 on ship but Taylor graduating, seems we'll take 1 or 2)
WR - 10 (with this system and 2 seniors in Hays/White and only taking 2 last year, my guess is we'll take 4-5 this year)
TE - 3 (currently have 5 TEs on roster but Rushing will graduate; I'd expect 1)
OT - 6 (need is still 2)
OG - 10 (need with 10 offers may be 2-3)
C - 5 (def 1-2)
WDE - 3 (maybe 1 with 3 brought in from 2017 class all RS last season)
SDE - 5 (def need 2 with Davis and Hines as seniors)
DT - 4 (need 2 with Taylor gone and for depth)
ILB - 3 (must have 2-3 with only Brannon back on ship with Coleman returning and if Harris is a ILB)
OLB - 6 (must have 3-4 with only Martinez and/or Harris there) - HC mentioned we'd take a good amount next season
CB - 11 - (when CB Taylor moved to S, DC said they expect S to play corner and vice versa so don't be surprised we look for more CBs to play both positions over going to just "S" type players any longer)
S - 5 (note CBs above for reason so less S offers is my guess)
ATH - 5 (find best that fit your team needs at ATH is my guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.