Frank C. Erwin Center Days are Numbered

Bullcat

The local news this morning had a story about the last Texas MBB home game in the Erwin Center tonight. The Bon Jovi and Cinderella tour was my first concert at "The Drum." We sat in the mezzanine and the show is still one of the best that I ever attended, but one thing happened which will stay with me. Felt a tap on the shoulder from the guy sitting behind me. Turned around to see what he wanted-could not hear what he said over the volume. He pointed under our seats and there was a half-smoked cigarette. I got my share of second-hand smoke before the ban in the 90s. I picked it up and handed it back to him. After the show, he thanked me for giving him back his joint. If you are still out there after 35 years, you are welcome. Good memories from another venue that will go away in the name of progress.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Good memories from another venue that will go away in the name of progress.
This is written in the same tone as so many I see about crappy places being razed - as if that progress is a bad thing and something awesome is being detroyed for no reason. Just because you have good memories somewhere doesn't mean it should remain forever. The FEC was built during an era where venues tried to be all things for all events, and ended up failing for all. Just like Three Rivers, RFK, the Astrodome, Kingdome, etc. Good riddance to that dump. Already have tickets to Iron Maiden at the Moody Center in Sept.

Bullcat

This is written in the same tone as so many I see about crappy places being razed - as if that progress is a bad thing and something awesome is being detroyed for no reason. Just because you have good memories somewhere doesn't mean it should remain forever. The FEC was built during an era where venues tried to be all things for all events, and ended up failing for all. Just like Three Rivers, RFK, the Astrodome, Kingdome, etc. Good riddance to that dump. Already have tickets to Iron Maiden at the Moody Center in Sept.
Interesting response to a personal experience at FEC that made no mention of the arena's usefulness. Appreciate the history lesson on the multi-purpose stadiums of the 60s and 70s. Enjoy the concert.

Jecbobcat

I spent a little bit of time working for UT, and directly for Sodexo which oversees the concessions at all of their venues.

Although the FEC is a cool building with a lot of history, it's severely outdated and a pain to operate. It's falling apart and would've taken a ton of effort to repair even if that was an option.

It was always cool going into the lower levels and storage areas, a lot of cool things down there with some historical significance collecting dust that I hope they save