Lineup predictions?

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We’ll get the season thread tomorrow but the game notes are out and has the projected info. Elroy had the scoop on the starters

Fri- Eaton
Sat- Stroud
Sun- Zabel

My first thought was where is Robie? Maybe he stunk in the Fall or has an injury, but I think I’m going with they will start him Tuesday at TCU then work his way into the weekend.

Projected lineup is interesting.

C- Collier (juco transfer)
1b - Patino (Ohio transfer)
2b- Farber (freshman)
3b- Mora
SS- Powell
LF- Pena
CF- Manning
RF- Thompson (Purdue transfer)
DH- Ramirez

First thing is OF defense worries me with Pena out there and Manning in CF. Obviously going for offense first. Collier beating out Galloway/Ramirez behind the plate.

Roster is also updated with the 40 man list (it was 46). Leary is listed as a redshirt (assume injury) while Keithley LHP/OF, Kerbow RHP, Hamilton RHP, Perez OF/RHP, Kimball RHP aren’t on the game notes.

franslasttwinkie

Fri- Eaton
Sat- Stroud
Sun- Zabel

My first thought was where is Robie? Maybe he stunk in the Fall or has an injury

C- Collier (juco transfer)
1b - Patino (Ohio transfer)
2b- Farber (freshman)
Do we have 3 newcomers in lineup spots 1-3 because we are just mixing things up in OOC, we recruited very well and are still very deep or were the stars just in a long offseason slump?

Robie was the #3/4ish guy last year when pitching/defense wasn’t always great and Wood and Wells didn’t look as good as peak 2022 did .. I assume Stroud has improved on the UT message board they referred to him as the “ace” on their board when he was named starter against them last year.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Do we have 3 newcomers in lineup spots 1-3 because we are just mixing things up in OOC, we recruited very well and are still very deep or were the stars just in a long offseason slump?

Robie was the #3/4ish guy last year when pitching/defense wasn’t always great.. I assume Stroud has improved on the UT message board they referred to him as the “ace” on their board when he was named starter against them last year.
It’s position order, not lineup order. But by all accounts at least Farber and Patino could be in the top half of the lineup.

I think Stroud should be solid. He’s had good k:bb numbers as a starter at juco then out of the pen last season. Eaton is getting the most draft buzz out of the draft eligible guys at least from D1 baseball outlet and Trout said he’s 92-94. Robie had the best era as a starter during conference play (Wells had over a 6era). But that’s pretty small sample and didn’t have the K numbers Wood/Wells had. Zabel hasn’t done much his couple of years so just assume Robie will take his place in a weekend spot.

Meant to link the game notes.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/sidearm.nextgen.sites/txstate.sidearmsports.com/documents/2024/2/15/BSB_2024_Game_Notes_01-03_YSU.pdf

franslasttwinkie

Split the series back to back years and suddenly TXST pops up on a one sport Austin radar. I’m certain the bevo egos that be have not forgotten the not very long ago 24 game win streak.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I don't have a ton to add to what's already been discussed, but I did a little roster dive earlier today.

Replacing Wells/Wood at the top of the rotation was never gonna be easy, excited to see what Eaton brings. Was also expecting to see Robie in the weekend rotation, just hoping that's not injury related. There are a lot of new arms this year in the pitching staff, and I'm hopeful a handful of them can step up and be major contributors. Some guys I have some expectations for are Drayton Brown, Matthew Tippie, and Keller Eberly. Seems we're always short on left-handed pitching. Just Stroud and McCaffety returning as far as guys who have actually played before.

I think we have a chance to improve offensively. The big, glaring loss is Jose Gonzalez obviously, but I'm hopeful we can piece together a few guys to replace his offensive production. Not too worried about Pena playing left, its the least demanding defensive position at this level and he's an athlete. Cam Thompson's numbers last year at Purdue aren't impressive but 2 years ago he had a 1+ OPS and hit 13 homers and our ballpark is hitter-friendly so he could end up being solid as a Bobcat. Farber apparently had a ridiculous fall, so I'd expect him to improve us in the infield. We have stupid depth in the IF between Powell, Mora, Farber, Leary, Benesh, etc. OF not so much. Will probably need to stay healthy there but Weil can play anywhere out there if we need him. Hopefully Collier is solid at C. If he's expecting to start over 3 returners at the position though I'd consider that a good thing.

Excited to get things started tomorrow. Basketball's been rough this year...

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Split the series back to back years and suddenly TXST pops up on a one sport Austin radar. I’m certain the bevo egos that be have not forgotten the not very long ago 24 game win streak.
That's the #1 UT baseball twitter account and one of the biggest college baseball fans overall around. He's at most every UT game in SMTX - I sold him tickets to one about 10yrs ago. Not sure why you take that tweet some kind of way, but he's literally just posting who they're playing. You'd kill to have a program big enough to have fans that knew and cared that much about our team.

franslasttwinkie

You'd kill to have a program big enough to have fans that knew and cared that much about our team.
Was on the verge of enrolling at LSU if not for out of state tuition and the difficulty in getting scholarships to major public schools. LSU is the next closest thing to UT in a lot of those same ways.

HisBoyElroy

I don't have a ton to add to what's already been discussed, but I did a little roster dive earlier today.

Replacing Wells/Wood at the top of the rotation was never gonna be easy, excited to see what Eaton brings. Was also expecting to see Robie in the weekend rotation, just hoping that's not injury related. There are a lot of new arms this year in the pitching staff, and I'm hopeful a handful of them can step up and be major contributors. Some guys I have some expectations for are Drayton Brown, Matthew Tippie, and Keller Eberly. Seems we're always short on left-handed pitching. Just Stroud and McCaffety returning as far as guys who have actually played before.

I think we have a chance to improve offensively. The big, glaring loss is Jose Gonzalez obviously, but I'm hopeful we can piece together a few guys to replace his offensive production. Not too worried about Pena playing left, its the least demanding defensive position at this level and he's an athlete. Cam Thompson's numbers last year at Purdue aren't impressive but 2 years ago he had a 1+ OPS and hit 13 homers and our ballpark is hitter-friendly so he could end up being solid as a Bobcat. Farber apparently had a ridiculous fall, so I'd expect him to improve us in the infield. We have stupid depth in the IF between Powell, Mora, Farber, Leary, Benesh, etc. OF not so much. Will probably need to stay healthy there but Weil can play anywhere out there if we need him. Hopefully Collier is solid at C. If he's expecting to start over 3 returners at the position though I'd consider that a good thing.

Excited to get things started tomorrow. Basketball's been rough this year...
I still am most concerned about the pitching rotation.
Our Friday had 1 year of juco experience, it was a great year but still.
Stroud has been great in the relief role, he has only pitched over 3 innings once. Plus he is small in stature, can he last over a long season.
Our Sunday also has limited experience and a high era.
We did bring in a ton of pitching from juco and the portal. Hope it works out.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I still am most concerned about the pitching rotation.
Our Friday had 1 year of juco experience, it was a great year but still.
Stroud has been great in the relief role, he has only pitched over 3 innings once. Plus he is small in stature, can he last over a long season.
Our Sunday also has limited experience and a high era.
We did bring in a ton of pitching from juco and the portal. Hope it works out.
Yeah that's my top concern also. We'll need Eaton's 1 great year to translate, we'll need Stroud to prove he can be a starter, and we'll probably need at least 2 other guys to step up. Be it Robie or one of the many newcomers we have. Drayton Brown, Matthew Tippie, and Nicholas Holbrook were all weekend rotation guys last year at their respective teams. I wouldn't say Zabel has limited experience. He's a 6th year senior who has started 22 games in his career, including 10 at Texas State. His issue has always been being effective past 3-4 innings. We'll need him to show the ability to get deeper into games I think this year unless we can find Friday/Saturday guys who can eat up tons of innings for the bullpen.

Poseidon

Stivors as our closer went 7 full against Stanford so I think we will be ok there. It's the number 3 pitcher I'm most concerned about. I hope Zabel has made the kind of strides in the offseason to earn the spot but only time will tell.

franslasttwinkie

Everyone is worried about starters but just like in the MLB a lot of important games are won and lost out of the pen. Especially with how many games last year got ugly from innings 6-9. Specifically GCU series comes to mind.

Dixon may prove to be the biggest loss than Wood and Wells combined.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Well like you said, our bullpen wasn't particularly deep last year. Meanwhile the top of the rotation was very strong last year. That makes starting pitching the bigger concern to me to start the year. I'm hopeful we'll actually have a deeper pen this year given how many pitchers we brought in. Just need to hit on enough of them.

HisBoyElroy

Venting... So I go to ESPN to check college baseball scores from yesterday, I look at the banner on top of the page.... NFL, NBA, NCAAM NCAAW. They have an arrow that opens a dropdown box... in the box they have sports listed NHL, NCAAF, Golf, Soccer, WNBA... even Cricket, XGames and Rugby. No NCAA baseball. Finally, I click on "College Sports." I find baseball in there with college hockey, volleyball and gymnastics. Just sayin.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I don't really understand the gripe. Where else would you expect to find college baseball scores on ESPN?

franslasttwinkie

Yep @HisBoyElroy that’s always been the case since forever. That’s why Kendall Rogers’ D1 Baseball or Warren Nolan are about the only websites to follow CBSB besides clicking a bunch of times on each individual game and waiting for Sidearm to load.

On D1 baseball you can select all of which games of the day you want to put together on the screen to follow. That’s what I did when I was following all the games last season towards the end of the season that had bubble implications.