President Selection Action Thread

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
We can argue blue in the face about coaches, but one thing is for sure. Nothing less than the fate of Bobcat football is at stake with the selection of the new university president. We are a small, vulgar, angry, but dedicated group. I suggest we do something useful instead of smacking our keyboards late into the night.

We should take focused action to lobby for candidates we believe who will support and understanding the importance of athletics. We may not be able to change the outcome directly, but with the right pressure we can make our intentions known, and let candidates being considered understand this is not an issue that should be taken lightly.

In the Coming weeks let's focus our Bobcat self loath into coming up with specific plans, and messaging we can rally behind.

Ideas from the top of my head

We need to keep an eye on selected canidates to avoid same old / same old.

Start some Twitter campaigns. Maybe a slogan, related to not accepting complacency.

(Here is a really bad example maroon and golden, needs to bolden)

I'm from the young(ish) side of bobcats. What's the best way to reach the people making these choices? Letters, emails?

I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of a culture built on losing. I can't walk up to the building and coach players, but I can write and voice my opinions.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
As someone who works in government, lobbying is exactly what we need to do.

Do we know anyone who has an “in” with the university or TXST system? We need to come up with a list of what we, as fans, want for our university.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
As someone who works in government, lobbying is exactly what we need to do.

Do we know anyone who has an “in” with the university or TXST system? We need to come up with a list of what we, as fans, want for our university.
I mean I'm a grad student. I don't know if that makes me "in". I know a grad student rep to student government ... Doubt that had any power ...

I don't even think my advisor is on the facility senate. I not professor bobcat is on factility senate.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
Who is PikesPete? I have seen his name brought up on here and he seems like he has insider knowledge of the team. Maybe he knows someone with some power who could give us a voice?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Hilts dad.

Y'all...just start w/ the list of the search committee names. Find their emails and send them your comments. You don't know any of the decision makers, big money donors, or candidates. You're not going to get some twitter crusade going for a pro-athletics president. You don't have the kind of money that makes a difference.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Hilts dad.

Y'all...just start w/ the list of the search committee names. Find their emails and send them your comments. You don't know any of the decision makers, big money donors, or candidates. You're not going to get some twitter crusade going for a pro-athletics president. You don't have the kind of money that makes a difference.
Good call LTK5H. I'm going to draft up some intial comments and I will post them here in a day or two. Hopefully we can all refine what we want so as to be clear and send a consistent message. Y'all can use my base email as a template if that makes it easier.

profcat

M&G FB Prediction Champ 2021
Contacting search committee members directly is a great idea. Flores and the other Regents at the top of the list are probably most important. Here is the list of search committee members....
  • Don Flores (Committee Chair) – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Charlie Amato – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Garry Crain – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Nicki Harle – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Janet Bezner, Ph.D. – Chair and Professor, Department of Physical Therapy
  • Darryl Borgonah – Associate Vice President for Financial Services
  • Scott Bowman, Ph.D. – Professor, School of Criminal Justice and Criminology
  • Jaime Chahin, Ph.D. – Dean, College of Applied Arts
  • Andrew Gryce – President, Student Government Association
  • Ken Huewitt – Chief Financial Officer, Texas Southern University, and Distinguished Alumnus
  • Jane Hughson – Mayor, City of San Marcos, and Texas State University Alumna
  • Lynn Ledbetter, Ph.D. – Chair, Faculty Senate, and Professor, School of Music
  • Robert McLean, Ph.D. – Regents’ Professor, Department of Biology
  • Jack Martin – Co-Chairman, Martin + Crumpton Group LLC, and Distinguished Alumnus
  • Bryan Miller – Associate Athletics Director
  • Ron Mitchell – Vice Chairman/President, Horseshoe Bay Resort, and Distinguished Alumnus
  • Vincent Morton, Ph.D. – Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
  • Patrick Rose – President, Corridor Title
  • Annalisa Turner – Chair, Texas State University Staff Council

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Contacting search committee members directly is a great idea. Flores and the other Regents at the top of the list are probably most important. Here is the list of search committee members....
  • Don Flores (Committee Chair) – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Charlie Amato – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Garry Crain – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Nicki Harle – Regent, Texas State University System
  • Janet Bezner, Ph.D. – Chair and Professor, Department of Physical Therapy
  • Darryl Borgonah – Associate Vice President for Financial Services
  • Scott Bowman, Ph.D. – Professor, School of Criminal Justice and Criminology
  • Jaime Chahin, Ph.D. – Dean, College of Applied Arts
  • Andrew Gryce – President, Student Government Association
  • Ken Huewitt – Chief Financial Officer, Texas Southern University, and Distinguished Alumnus
  • Jane Hughson – Mayor, City of San Marcos, and Texas State University Alumna
  • Lynn Ledbetter, Ph.D. – Chair, Faculty Senate, and Professor, School of Music
  • Robert McLean, Ph.D. – Regents’ Professor, Department of Biology
  • Jack Martin – Co-Chairman, Martin + Crumpton Group LLC, and Distinguished Alumnus
  • Bryan Miller – Associate Athletics Director
  • Ron Mitchell – Vice Chairman/President, Horseshoe Bay Resort, and Distinguished Alumnus
  • Vincent Morton, Ph.D. – Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
  • Patrick Rose – President, Corridor Title
  • Annalisa Turner – Chair, Texas State University Staff Council
Thank you profcat for this list!

Sending an email to Bryan Miller probably isn't worth our time if we are trying to suggest someone who in all likelihood should replace him 😂

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
Hilts dad.

Agreed, Twitter is not going to work, nor what I really had in mind. And yeah…. I definitely don’t have the money to sway any opinions, truth hurts, lol.
I think Code is going in the right direction. I would like to see something a little more formal that we can all (mostly) agree on that we can communicate together to the powers that be.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Agreed, Twitter is not going to work, nor what I really had in mind. And yeah…. I definitely don’t have the money to sway any opinions, truth hurts, lol.
I think Code is going in the right direction. I would like to see something a little more formal that we can all (mostly) agree on that we can communicate together to the powers that be.
I'll get a draft of some writing going and get everyone's thoughts. Obviously everyone is free to do what they want, but I think if we circle around a core message that will help. (Considering we don't have money, or personal connections)

PikesPete

Who is PikesPete? I have seen his name brought up on here and he seems like he has insider knowledge of the team. Maybe he knows someone with some power who could give us a voice?
No influence, just overconfidence. I watch team dynamics carefully (twitter, who gets featured on media, what they say at pressers) but I'm careful not to generalize from my kid's experience or disclose anything said in confidence. I wish I had an insider connection, but no. I think whoever will lead TXST out of the wilderness will have to be Texan through and through with deep credibility.

dirtbag

We should talk to these donors as well. They obviously have money. They might also still have the universities ear.
Monica is the type of alum who should have been on the search committee. She loves the school, supports athletics, and even taught classes a bunch of years in McCoy. I can't help but notice that there is no one on the committee from the business or engineering schools. WTF?

profcat

M&G FB Prediction Champ 2021
Monica is the type of alum who should have been on the search committee. She loves the school, supports athletics, and even taught classes a bunch of years in McCoy. I can't help but notice that there is no one on the committee from the business or engineering schools. WTF?
There is also no one from the social sciences, humanities, or education. The faculty on there and the one person from the staff council will act as tokens with no voice. The regents and private business people will likely have the most influence.