Women's Golf/SBC Championship

GolfCat

Was a little busy yesterday and didn't post. The ladies struggled a little on day one shooting a 17 over 305 total and were 11 shots behind leaving them in 8th. Matilda Svahn lead the way with a 2 over 74. GA Southern were the fist day leaders with a 6 over 294 with Mia Kness shooting a -3 to lead their scoring and lead the individual race.

A little change in the leaderboard today. The girls brought it back today to shave 10 shots off of their first day total and shoot a 7 over 295 giving them a total of +24 at 600 even, moving them up 4 places to 4th . Federica Tavelli-Westerlund and Matilda Svahn lead the way with a +4 total 148 and are sitting tied at 8th. GA Southern still holds the lead at +17 sitting at 593 giving them a 2 shot lead over Coastal Carolina with the Bobcats trailing by 7 going into the final day. First round individual leader Mia Kness fired a 4 over 76 to leave her tied for 2nd with UTA's Heidrun Hlynsdottir (71-74) three shots behind leader Sarunchana Rattanasin of GA Southern who is sitting at -2 for the championship with rounds of 72-70=142.

Not sue what the weather forecast is but it could be anybody's day tomorrow. From what I can tell if the ladies can eliminate the big numbers then they realistically have a chance at winnint. In both rounds the team yielded 4 double bogeys and one triple bogey with the same player making triple on the same hole both days. The same player has also had a double bogey in each of the first two rounds along with another player making one in the first round and two in the second.

I always revert back to the saying from my friend Tim Hobby who coached a Baylor for 8 years. We were sitting on the back of the 7th green at Victoria CC during the NCAA Regionals one year watching groups come through. There was an instance where a kid from Northwestern had hit his approach long and left with the hole cut on the back right. He tried to play a shot towards the hole with a severe downslope between him and the hole. There was water beyond the hole. The kid was looking directly at the hole and Tim just looked at me and shook his head. The kid hit a really good shot but there was no way he could stop it as the greens were August fast that week. His ball trickled off the green, down the slope and into the water. He walked off that green with a double. A couple groups later Jimmy Walker (Baylor) hits his shot not 2 feet from where the kid from Northwestern had hit his. Tim gets out of the cart we were sitting in and walks over to Jimmy. They are having a discussion on where he should play it. Tim is telling him to just play it safe and back towards the middle of the green. Jimmy is constantly looking towards the hole and Tim keeps pointing to the middle of the green. Reluctantly, Jimmy follows his coaches advice and plays to the middle of the green. He two putts for bogey and walks off the green a little disgusted but it was the right play. Tim comes and gets back in the cart. He looks at me and says "You know the secrete to playing good college golf is knowing when to make bogey". I looked at him and said your are exactly right, I wish someone had told me that years ago.

GolfCat

Ladies are losing ground today in the early going. +6 on the day and have dropped two spots and trail by 12. GA Southern and Coastal are +1 and +2 for the day respectively. Troy has the best team round of the day going at -1.

geezer

Looks like Georgia Southern is the class of the conference this year. Our girls are 8 over right now 32 over and in 6th place.
Maybe they get hot on the back.
14 over now, but moved into 5th.
Finished at 40 over and probably 4th. Not good--the same team was second last and led by six after the first round.
Bad start cost them.

Last edited:

GolfCat

Looks like Georgia Southern is the class of the conference this year. Our girls are 8 over right now 32 over and in 6th place.
Maybe they get hot on the back.
14 over now, but moved into 5th.
Finished at 40 over and probably 4th. Not good--the same team was second last and led by six after the first round.
Bad start cost them.
Of the scores that counted each day there were a total of eight double bogeys that were counted. On day two we had to count a triple bogey for the day. If they take bogey on all of those holes that is 9 shots which gets them in a playoff for the championship. I would damn sure have something posted in the team "room" at the beginning of next year. Stressing the importance of knowing when it is ok to make a bogey.

geezer

I watched most of the broadcast and saw really poor putting from our girls.
They only showed three holes so that's a small sample, but the only birdie that I saw, came on a chip-in.
I would assume that the triple and doubles involved short stick problems.
Approach putts were really bad.