New Athletic Director Search

dirtbag

One name i havent seen anyone mention (and doubt hes interested) is Tim McMurray. Was with us from 2000-2006.

Oh and he has a twitter :)

Will be interesting to see what happens for sure! :)
Whoa, someone who left our AD and advanced his career by taking jobs with greater responsibilities! Crazy!

slycat

I just don't understand the logic of keeping it in house. What has the current group done that can be considered a success?

Consistent winning in major sports? No
Fundraising? No
Season Tickets? No
Student Athlete APR? No
Facilities? Yes
Move to FBS? Yes, but had to be led there kicking and screaming by the students.

TheRevSWT

I just don't understand the logic of keeping it in house. What has the current group done that can be considered a success?

Consistent winning in major sports? No
Fundraising? No
Season Tickets? No
Student Athlete APR? No
Facilities? Yes
Move to FBS? Yes, but had to be led there kicking and screaming by the students.
the success (from what I have been told by a few folks connected to the university) is that there are no violations. This keeps the programs out of Trauth's hair. That seems to be her primary goal, and benchmark for success.

Bobkat34

Just listened to it. Not bad in regards to his responses and definitely a positive to have him on radio. Very opposite of Teis (rarely on social media, no tv and definitely didn't want to answer questions are pressers). In today's game... ADs must be more in front of the media be it their own small interviews like A&M TexAgs radio does or Conte doing twitter and things like that.

carmanjello325

This guy sounds great.

withers didnt sound great with his party in the endzone, were going to get rings, bring an exciting brand of football to san marcos introductory chant? should have known he was full of it when he basically said he confessed he had trust in teis. maybe he should have been open, honest and transparent that he was going to burn this mother down because that was obviously his intention from the get go!

im willing to give don benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise but not yet ready to take him at face value but this interview already proves to be a vast improvement over teis whatever it is that even means. and if don were to clean house on the administration side the same way withers did with the football roster then we could be in for a real treat and the gig should probably be his for the next 2 years at least.

Last edited:

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I enjoyed hearing Don on The Horn! Nice Change of Pace if i do say so myself!

geezer

Whether he’s “Larry 2.0” is certainly up for debate. Hell, I hope he’s not. I hope that all the years he spent watching Larry taught him what NOT to do.

But the fact remains . . . When “most” Big Boy Schools make a change in AD, they DO not (typically) keep the previous guy on, and make an underling interim for the foreseeable future. Most Big Boy Schools conduct a National Search, and bring in (what they believe to be ) the best guy/gal to get the job done.

I guess my mistake was thinking that just because we’re FBS, that we’re a Big Boy School.

Oh my, it’s TXST, so by all means, let us carry on the “traditions” which have served our Athletic Dept. so we’ll all these years .. ..
What do you have against Don? Is it personal or anything factual you could tell us?

TheRevSWT

What do you have against Don? Is it personal or anything factual you could tell us?
I think most are concerned with continuation of the status quo.

The guy hasn't advanced his position in 17 years (that concerns me).
He worked under Teis for those 17 years (that scares the ever loving stuffing out of me).
He was the marketing, ticket sales, and licensing (a whole lot more, to be fair), and those aren't high marks for any of them.

That's why I'm still happy as a pig in poop, but still concerned.

also, to the best of my knowledge, the closest he has to a twitter account is Con Doryell.

I think most were excited about the possibility of some fresh blood in the department and a cessation of the good ol' boy network to maintain how things are. That's me at least.

Last edited:

Bobcat1

One name i havent seen anyone mention (and doubt hes interested) is Tim McMurray. Was with us from 2000-2006.

Oh and he has a twitter :)

Will be interesting to see what happens for sure! :)

If you thought Teis was bad, just wait to see what he would bring to the table. Greg LaFleur 2.0 if given the chance.

Bobcat1

I had the same thoughts yesterday. With having 4 months until LT is gone, and then giving a guy a year interim tag within the department, maybe it's aligning with a potential new president who would want to pick his/her new AD.

This is the most plausible scenario, but let's not forget that Coach Johnson was able to get the permanent gig once he proved his mettle. I'm still in the camp that Don would be a good choice if given a fair chance.