Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
thats an interesting concept. a coach swap relieving atm of their buyout. id be curious if jimbo could do better at txst than gj. but id also be curious if gj could do better at atm than jumbo
I’d prefer to watch it play out between Sam and ATM. The two are only an hour apart so the coaches technically would not even have to move.

Mpf43

Only conceivable if the salaries were close but the gap make it impossible to image a scenario that would work.

B

Bakertxst04

GJ 42, Eric Morris' defense against the QB whisperer: zero

That was an interesting game, UNT got curb-stomped by Cal. Genuinely expected more from Morris' first game, but we'll see how the team does throughout the season.

I also want to know where this offense was during Spav's tenure. I don't think we ever put up 58 points in a single game during his time with us.

TxSt1992

That was an interesting game, UNT got curb-stomped by Cal. Genuinely expected more from Morris' first game, but we'll see how the team does throughout the season.

I also want to know where this offense was during Spav's tenure. I don't think we ever put up 58 points in a single game during his time with us.
1 Spav's offenses absolutely need at least a 3-4 ypc from the running game to get that offense going. Shut the run game down and that offense goes nowhere. Which is what happened to us more often than not.

2. Cal has an especially good RB this year. Expect Spav to look like a genius again.

3. Spav is a really good coach from the x's and o's perspective. He just wasn't ready to take over a program. I wish him well, but I'm certainly glad he's gone, he was here one year to long IMO.

B

Bakertxst04

1 Spav's offenses absolutely need at least a 3-4 ypc from the running game to get that offense going. Shut the run game down and that offense goes nowhere. Which is what happened to us more often than not.

2. Cal has an especially good RB this year. Expect Spav to look like a genius again.

3. Spav is a really good coach from the x's and o's perspective. He just wasn't ready to take over a program. I wish him well, but I'm certainly glad he's gone, he was here one year to long IMO.

I agree. Although the "here too long" feels like it should apply more to T&T than to Spav. I don't feel like he got a fair shot since he was trying to start so far behind the curve with so little help. Maybe he'll get a chance at another program eventually or maybe his ceiling is OC.

Still, Kinne goes out there and beats a Big XII team in his first game, whereas we had to get to conference play and edge out an equally bad South Alabama team in OT.

Bobcat1

I agree. Although the "here too long" feels like it should apply more to T&T than to Spav. I don't feel like he got a fair shot since he was trying to start so far behind the curve with so little help. Maybe he'll get a chance at another program eventually or maybe his ceiling is OC.

Still, Kinne goes out there and beats a Big XII team in his first game, whereas we had to get to conference play and edge out an equally bad South Alabama team in OT.
That was just a crutch he used for his own shortcoming to blame T&T. No one asked him to start back to back 5’9” QBs with marginal arms for two years. I’ll beat this horse down beyond oblivion: with Vitt & Evans as starters, we win at least a dozen more games from 2020-2022.

But it was a blessing in disguise he was so obtuse, because it opened the door for Kinne.

Mpf43

Your Vitt/Evans is an easy claim to make, especially when you have absolutely no way to prove it.
Just one more thing you pull out of your . . . well, you know . ..
Agree. Vitt played a lot of football for txst too and threw more int’s than td’s? Evans never made his way up the depth chart and retired from football. It is a weak argument that these two were the saviors overlooked by the coaching staff. Fans of bad teams always like the backup qb but this argument needs to go away.

franslasttwinkie

It's wild to think that a handful of y'all were floating around Traylor's name to replace Withers, if not even a little earlier to replace Fran. Crazy to think if Traylor had been running our program for 5 years or so prior to bolting and handing things over to Kinne what kind of situation we would be in right now.

What's even more disgusting is that he wound up at a program 40 miles away that barely so much as existed when we hired Fran yet they've been arguably a top 40 team now going on their 3rd season...

B

Bakertxst04

That was just a crutch he used for his own shortcoming to blame T&T. No one asked him to start back to back 5’9” QBs with marginal arms for two years. I’ll beat this horse down beyond oblivion: with Vitt & Evans as starters, we win at least a dozen more games from 2020-2022.

But it was a blessing in disguise he was so obtuse, because it opened the door for Kinne.

Ehhhh.... the fact that we had one great year (playoff run) and about three good years (shared SLC championship, 6-6 & 7-5 years under Fran) in the roughly 20 years that those two ran the school and athl dept says a lot about them. KD and Don are personally invested in this program, which is more than I could ever say for their predecessors.

Twinkie's post above mine mentioning the idea of us hiring Traylor instead of UTSA (edit: and Sly mentioning Willie Fritz as well) shows that our previous administration was more out of touch with the CFB landscape than they would have ever cared to publicly admit. Spav and EW made good candidates on paper, but neither really materialized the potential that the administration felt they had for our program.

Now, I'm not debating that Spav made a lot of poor choices as HFC that he personally should own. His overly conservative play calling and dedication to only playing Hatcher at QB (at least he split playtime for McBride and Vitt) are completely on him. Maybe some time working as OC under a different coach at a different program will allow him some time for growth and experience.

I'm thrilled with Kinne as a hire. He brings a lot more charisma to the program which I feel like we have SORELY needed for the past few decades. His staff all seem to have great synergy with each other and the team is performing very well on the field. I'm also thrilled that they have embraced social media with their #TakeBackTexas campaign. Our alumni base is more fired up than I've seen them... ever... and maybe just maybe this is finally the turning point we have waited for since we moved to FBS.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
It's wild to think that a handful of y'all were floating around Traylor's name to replace Withers, if not even a little earlier to replace Fran. Crazy to think if Traylor had been running our program for 5 years or so prior to bolting and handing things over to Kinne what kind of situation we would be in right now.

What's even more disgusting is that he wound up at a program 40 miles away that barely so much as existed when we hired Fran yet they've been arguably a top 40 team now going on their 3rd season...
That’s what happens when you pay a search firm to find a washed up former coach who was begging for the job right under your nose. The fee we paid plus Fran’s salary should be deducted from the former AD’s retirement.

B

Bakertxst04

That’s what happens when you pay a search firm to find a washed up former coach who was begging for the job right under your nose. The fee we paid plus Fran’s salary should be deducted from the former AD’s retirement.
That's an excellent point that I hadn't thought about. Don and KD personally decided on the candidates. (I can't remember - was there anyone besides Kinne, Morris, and Keeler?)

T&T outsourced their work to a third party.

slycat

I think the search form helps with making sure their aren't back pocket deals or other unlawful things. Or at least a fake cover for it.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
After learning about UT's new WR coach, I'd go w/ him at OC in a heartbeat. Unique offense that doesn't require a great passing QB to be successful. Dude has even written a book on it.

Brennan Marion
Amazon: Go-Go Offense
YT:Brennan Marion Breaks Down the Basics of the Go-Go Offense!
YT:Go-Go Football Offense: Running Out of the Right Formation!
YT:FBGPU's Talkin' Ball with The Czar: Brennan Marion talks Go-Go Offense & NFL
Marion ended up the OC at UNLV, who is currently 7-2. What's interesting about these stats is that we blow the doors off them in yardage, but they're still scoring more than us. Their Red Zone Offense is the key differentiator.
........................................UNLV........................................................................................TXST

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Marion ended up the OC at UNLV, who is currently 7-2. What's interesting about these stats is that we blow the doors off them in yardage, but they're still scoring more than us. Their Red Zone Offense is the key differentiator.
........................................UNLV........................................................................................TXST
View attachment 5690
We would easily be 7-2 if we could execute in the Red Zone. Way too many missed opps but glad to be bowl bound. Hopefully we have it figured out.

carmanjello325

what was the price tag on marion when he was hired? mac was pretty expensive in texas state terms so im sure we could have been able to pay marion

carmanjello325

the difference is unlv is 75/142 on 3rd down and we are not. plus most of their unsuccessful 3rd downs happen outside of where points are possible