2019 Preview: The Jake Spavital Era

Bobkat34

Let me say this... From what I've heard (Jake comments since being hired on radio interviews), he sounds like he's going with Kevin Sumlin's style of coaching as the head (away from the coaching rooms) and leading the program from farther up. From watching Sumlin at A&M, he had some success with Johnny there and even after continued to win but for A&M... 7-5 was not enough. I'm somewhat indifferent if Sumlin's style will work but in general all HCs must find their way and go with it. Personally, I'd hope he would follow his previous HC's style (now at UH) over Sumlin's style.

We'll see how it plays out. I do want to see improvements across the board but I think that will not happen until he gets more of his players in here come year 2.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is going to be his best year for a couple years. We lose a lot of players next season and we had a small 2019 recruiting class with 0 commits for 2020 as of now.

We actually have a pretty solid roster this year with a lot of experience, depth, and talent. If Spavital can utilize the talent better than Withers did, this could be a great season.

Bobkat34

I hope so Justin.... Its hard to get excited until I see what we really have in a game and A&M may not be the game that tells us but I sure hope we see some good moments to show we are going in right direction.

I need to see who become our go to players and play makers.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed.

A&M will tell us a lot if we make it competitive or even get the upset, but it won't tell us anything if we get blown out.

If we can hang with them, we should be able to hang with every other team on our schedule. If we can't, it doesn't necessarily mean we won't be good or get some wins against teams like smu, Wyoming, ULM, ULL, etc.

LSU Bobcat

We lose a lot of players next season and we had a small 2019 recruiting class with 0 commits for 2020 as of now
This part is starting to worry me a little bit. When is party in the park? I believe I read he is still doing that this year. Next couple of years could be very rough years. If we come out and win some games this year hopefully our recruiting picks up throughout the season.

LSU Bobcat

As much as A&M lost on defense last year we SHOULD be able to put a few points up. That's about all i'm expecting.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
A&M may have lost a lot on defense, but they're still replacing those guys with 4 and 5 star recruits. They will have talent on that side of the ball even if it's not experienced talent.

Our only hope for putting up points is going to be reliant on the offensive scheme Spavital and Stitt are able to execute.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, he was amazing. I remember watching him warm up for the spring game as he hit a 70 yard field goal.

We left a lot of points on the board last year because we couldn't hit field goals and missed extra points.

Bobkat34

Guys... I think it would be best to separate each article because having to go back to discuss something that was already talked about is hard to do. Please separate the offense, defense articles to separate message board posts so we can discuss that way.

Thanks!

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
This was meant as a thread to discuss the preview as a whole. I separated the articles just because of the length. That, and we really need more content on the news site. So, adding each section to the same article each day like SWC Roundup did was an option, but I felt like things might get lost.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
It's going to end up being 4 parts. The preview to the preview that was released Sunday night, the offense, the defense, and final thoughts/predictions.

Bobkat34

Honestly, I'm more excited to move out "old regime" players because then a coach (HC, OC, DC) can bring in there guys. Yes, I know that means buy to London/Daniels but they were going to have to leave at some point.

My point is don't get too mushy on losing 6-7 LBs (only a 4 of them were impact guys and I'm not even putting Vinson as one of those 4 since he misses 3-4 games each season). Yes, that can be scary but it can also be a quick turnaround on bringing in some JCs (say 1-2) and freshmen to quickly turn the scheme to exactly what DC wants be it a 4-3 hybrid or 34 hybrid with more edge rusher types that can cover. If we go to say a 4-3 hybrid going into next season (which to me anytime you talk about being multiple you are saying both 4-3 hybrid AND 34 hybrid, possibly other schemes too 3-3 stack), I would expect us to look similar but maybe less true LBs and a few more "edge rusher" length guys like a 6'3ish 215lb guy we build up like Hines has been built up in 2-3 years and you may say we can't wait... which is why you go get a JC guy to go with J. Smith already here and maybe Calvin moves to this position in the future. Just a hunch.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with all of that in regards to LB's. My concern with losing "the old regime" guys is primarily because we don't have anyone committed for 2020 and we had a small recruiting class for 2019. We're going to have to get some JUCO guys to fill the gap, but I haven't seen that happen yet either.

We lose a lot after this year, both on offense and defense and we don't seem to be making the recruiting moves to replace them.

Bobkat34

This was meant as a thread to discuss the preview as a whole. I separated the articles just because of the length. That, and we really need more content on the news site. So, adding each section to the same article each day like SWC Roundup did was an option, but I felt like things might get lost.
I understand but if I just want to discuss offense and the current discussion is on the defense... it does not stay on the same discussion point and continues to go back and forth, which is why I'd post different topics for each post I make. Its up to you. Personally, i feel you get more discussion this way than the current one post. I'll get tired of having to go back a page or two to keep up with the discussion than just add to it on a discussion point. Its your board. Just looking for ways to be more effective, that s all.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I understand but if I just want to discuss offense and the current discussion is on the defense... it does not stay on the same discussion point and continues to go back and forth, which is why I'd post different topics for each post I make. Its up to you. Personally, i feel you get more discussion this way than the current one post. I'll get tired of having to go back a page or two to keep up with the discussion than just add to it on a discussion point. Its your board. Just looking for ways to be more effective, that s all.
Done