2019 Preview: The Jake Spavital Era

dshedd14

I've read the introduction and defensive previews and i must say job well done. Thank you for putting that together. I will read the offensive preview later!

Bobkat34

Interesting depth chart:
Offense
Do you truly feel those 3 RBs will stay in tact once Smith and Brown are fit to practice this August? Smith has been the fastest of the RBs we've had and Brown has a similar burst of quickness as well.
I like your OL guesses but I'm still not sure if Jemison is good enough over Cooks. We'll see.
WRs will be interesting who becomes play makers. I think Twyford will play inside slot with Sheread and White may play both. Twyford has shown ability to be elusive. If TEs are not effective, I'm sure we'll see more 2 backs or 4 WRs.

Defense
DE you have Smith over Hines? I heard more about Hines than Smith this Spring. If Hines is used as that Edge rusher with say Vinson, then I'd believe Smith as backup to Davis. Sure hope Smith put on some good weight or at least is at 230-235 by now.
Interesting LB depth chart. Vinson backing up Griffin, very different players. I do think Lewis may deserve a starting spot over Vinson but not sure I see Griffin and Vinson fighting for similar position.
DBs look about what I'd expect too. Going with pretty much 4 CBs or experience CBs in secondary should help us.
I would so be asking Graham to redshirt and back that position up with say London Harris, who has yet to take any/many reps.

Lastly, I'm not sure hyping up that #1 ranked recruiting class is worth noting:
Jaylin Nelson (3/4 string last season), John Brannon (backup for 2 seasons, likely this one too), Gjemar Daniels (3/4 string), Josh Newman (2nd string but last season got many starts due to Waddy injury; if he's still a backup... not saying much), Caeveon Patton (a starter after 1 season), Jeremiah Haydel (starter last season), Reece Jordan (starter/backup), Kieston Roach (backup), Jaylen Gipson (2/3 stringer), Jakharious Smith (backup last season), Kordell Rodgers (starter), London Harris (3rd stringer), Caleb Twyford (backup), and Tanner King (3rd stringer). While some have become regulars (3 out of 14 is not that great with a few that have started some games like Newman), many have been backups (not a bad thing) or 3rd stringers so a lot would need to change even if they are backups such as being consistent backups and there is no loss in skill.

Again, a lot to be seen for me to believe we are turning the corner. Sure hope we do!

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Agree with pretty much everything 34 said about the offense. RB room will change significantly with a healthy Smith and Brown in there I think.
Twyford definitely a slot guy I think.

I like Smith over Hines. I didn't like much of anything I saw out of Hines last year to be honest. He looked lost at times. Unathletic at times. Really struggled to get off blocks. Both are really undersized but I think Smith's skillset suits DE better. Hines is kind of stuck in between positions. Not really big enough or strong enough to be a good DE, not really athletic enough to be a good LB. Hopefully they can find a good fit for him somewhere.

I wouldn't give up on the 2017 class just yet. They're all either going to be redshirt sophomores or juniors this year. This is the year they'll start to make a big impact if they're going to. They were still all redshirt freshman and sophomores last year.

tx.state

Jakharious Smith looked like a much better football player than Hines last year despite being about 30 lbs too light. Hopefully he's added that or most of it this offseason. He seems like a good kid, but Hines doesnt have it. He looks good in warmups but doesn't get out of his stance at DE and he looks lost in space.

Smith has a lot of potential.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
This early in the year, a 2 deep depth chart is a complete guess. If we get through the fall and into the season with the exact depth chart I listed, I'll be shocked lol.

With that being said though, looking at defensive ends Smith is definitely ahead of Hines in my opinion. Smith had a much more productive 2018 and hopefully he will come into this year bigger and stronger from another year in the weightroom.

In regards to the 2017 class. A lot of those guys will be on our two deep and see significant playing time this year. My point there was just too highlight talent relative to the rest of the Sun Belt. They're not going to line up as equals against teams like Clemson or Alabama, but they should have no problem against the rest of the Sun Belt in terms of talent.

franslasttwinkie

Here is the third part of our Preview.

Offense
Although M&G wasn't officially around last hire it seemed like our limited media at the time was at least able leak with good faith interviews that occurred or were going to occur and confirm to some extent some validity. This time around who is going to be relaying the scoop?