2019 Starters

JaySWT

Who do you think will be the starters for the offense and defense this upcoming year? It will be intresting how the QB situation will play out.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I think Jensen at QB1 followed by Gipson at QB2. Vitt redshirts unless he separates himself from Jensen in the off-season and early practices. It's probably the best thing for him and for us as a team in the next 3 years. He has so much potential and got thrown to the wolves a little too early by necessity in my opinion.

RB will be Anthony D. Taylor, but we will have several others get reps too. I've heard RB by committee thrown around and I think that's what we'll get. Primarily because we have decent depth there.

Wide receiver we're actually pretty deep at too. I'm excited to see what Haydel, Mason Hays, Twyford, and Hutch White do this year. We also have a few young players that could be good surprises.

I'll let someone else put together a 2 deep for the rest if they have time. I usually don't follow the roster as close as I should.

JaySWT

I think Jensen at QB1 followed by Gipson at QB2. Vitt redshirts unless he separates himself from Jensen in the off-season and early practices. It's probably the best thing for him and for us as a team in the next 3 years. He has so much potential and got thrown to the wolves a little too early by necessity in my opinion.

RB will be Anthony D. Taylor, but we will have several others get reps too. I've heard RB by committee thrown around and I think that's what we'll get. Primarily because we have decent depth there.

Wide receiver we're actually pretty deep at too. I'm excited to see what Haydel, Mason Hays, Twyford, and Hutch White do this year. We also have a few young players that could be good surprises.

I'll let someone else put together a 2 deep for the rest if they have time. I usually don't follow the roster as close as I should.
So Vitt will be eligable to redshirt even though he played last season? I thought if you don't redshirt your freshman year, then you could only redshirt because of an injury.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yeah you can redshirt whenever. Doesn't have to be freshman year.

I'd be surprised to see them willfully redshirt Vitt though. If he's considered one of the two best QBs on the team you keep him active I think. That said, with the new rule of being able to play in 4 games and still redshirt, if Jensen ends up being the guy and stays healthy all season then Vitt could still end up taking a redshirt at the end of the year if he's not used often even if he is the primary backup.

Bobkat34

Interesting you ask this question. I don't ever assume that sports magazines are very accurate unless its quite obvious that Ehlinger will start for UT.

Athlon and Street Mags show exact same D, which is not surprising but the offense are the same as well.
WRs: Banks, Haydel, White
TE: 1 says Aragon and other has Rushing
QB: 1 says Vitt other says Jensen
RB: Taylor
LT: Cooks
LG: Rowland
C: Brewer
RG: Jordan
RT: Jemison

If so, this sounds very opposite of what others on here have said but then again... they are magazines. I do know the Steele guy tweeted that he met with Jake for an hour and half to discuss team so I'd hope his show some accuracy. We'll see. Should be out in a few weeks.

TheRevSWT

I think Jensen was brought in to be the starter. With his history with Stitt, it's a no brainer.

Which is precisely why I am hoping Vitt is starting. If he takes the starting role, it would be because he CLEARLY is light years ahead of Jensen. That would give me some comfort going forward.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, I need yall's help. I'm working on a 2019 preview and looking at a potential 2 deep depth chart, but I am stuck on the DLine.

Zac Spavital has said we will run a base 3-4 front 7, but mix in a lot of fronts to confuse offenses with different sets. So, with that in mind, things shouldn't change too much from last year. We return pretty much everyone from last year with the exception of Sami Awad.

We have 2 NT's listed on our current roster, Gjemar Daniels and John Lilly. Neither had significant playing time last year or were major contributors. Lilly played the final 4 games last season and it looks like the only thing of note in the stats is a 10 yrd kickoff return.

We seem to have far more depth at the DT position. So my question is, do we start one of the 2 listed NT's or start someone like Jaquel Pierce, Nico Ezidore, or Kingsley Onyirioha?

This all assumes we start Caeveon Patton at DT and Ishmael Davis at DE.

Bobcat87

I think they brought in Jensen to be the guy.
That’d look Great on the back of a Jersey:

THE GUY

Probably sound great over the stadium PA too (assuming you could understand it).

“Starting at Quaterback for your TXST Bobcats, Number 12 in your program, Number 1 in your hearts: THE GUY.”

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That’d look Great on the back of a Jersey:

THE GUY

Probably sound great over the stadium PA too (assuming you could understand it).

“Starting at Quaterback for your TXST Bobcats, Number 12 in your program, Number 1 in your hearts: THE GUY.”
That's funny. I think THE GUY can lose his job but right now a blind man can see he's THE GUY :)

Bobcat87

That's funny. I think THE GUY can lose his job but right now a blind man can see he's THE GUY :)
. . . .. and I'm just fine with his being THE GUY. I mean, at the end of the day, I think that we can all agree that someone has to be THE GUY. And it's my most sincere hope that as THE GUY; he'll be able to impart everything about this offensive system to those behind him who are clearly Not THE GUY.
Because as we all know, it's a tough sport, injuries happen, and you never know when THE GUY could go down. And in that eventuality, you want those behind him, who are currently Not THE GUY, to be able to step up and be THE GUY.

Bobkat34

Alright, I need yall's help. I'm working on a 2019 preview and looking at a potential 2 deep depth chart, but I am stuck on the DLine.

Zac Spavital has said we will run a base 3-4 front 7, but mix in a lot of fronts to confuse offenses with different sets. So, with that in mind, things shouldn't change too much from last year. We return pretty much everyone from last year with the exception of Sami Awad.

We have 2 NT's listed on our current roster, Gjemar Daniels and John Lilly. Neither had significant playing time last year or were major contributors. Lilly played the final 4 games last season and it looks like the only thing of note in the stats is a 10 yrd kickoff return.

We seem to have far more depth at the DT position. So my question is, do we start one of the 2 listed NT's or start someone like Jaquel Pierce, Nico Ezidore, or Kingsley Onyirioha?

This all assumes we start Caeveon Patton at DT and Ishmael Davis at DE.
Here is my guess at starting 3:
DE Davis; Hines; J. Smith (still not sure if Hines and Smith are hybrids when we go to 4 DL but have't heard a WORD about Lynch, Schaefer, or Calvin playing well all spring; NOTHING)
NT Ezidore; *Patton (honestly, I think this is more likely they'll share position from 3-4 to 4-3 hybrid they'll use); if have to, put Daniels as backup
DT Patton; Pierce; Galvan

Sure wish Dean Taylor was available. Awad loss will hurt this team. Was hoping they would have brought in a grad senior here.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
That SWCroundup article is predicting Davis, Patton, Ezidore in 3-4 looks, but also says to expect to see plenty of 4-3 as well.

Multiple D means we probably see plenty of different combos out there.

carmanjello325

The more I look at the roster the more I’m concerned about the absence of Dean Taylor. Got to figure the effects of Awad gone will be felt in depth chart as well. The more I look at our O line the more I think about how the hell did Withers leave the cupboards bare in 4 recruiting classes. The welfare of our O line is a big reason Withers is gone.

Brewer and Rowland or bust this season it looks like

slycat

I am worried about the defense based on new coach alone. The defense was bad until the last coach got here. Now that he is gone and a new system will be used, I worry about major regression.

Bobcat87

I am worried about the defense based on new coach alone. The defense was bad until the last coach got here. Now that he is gone and a new system will be used, I worry about major regression.
Defense has been our only strength the past two seasons. We’ve been horrible for close to ever. Why don’t we just pretend (at least until proven otherwise) that our D might be a strength again.

LSU Bobcat

I think we had a good defense under both McCray and Woods. Was Wood's success due to what McCray started? Possibly. But Woods did well enough with what he had. Hopefully Spav can do the same.