2021 Offers and Commits

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I don't know if a thread exists already for the 2021 class. If there is I will merge this.

Same if BobcatRaider would like to track everything for all of us again. Which was awesome by the way.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor

We're the first in-state offer for McAlister which I like.

Bobkat34

Generally, it was easy to see what Fran or Withers was doing in recruiting. What I mean, you could see if they offered a position that there were a certain number of signees they were expecting. Example: Were offering 6-8 RBs so they generally were looking at 1-2 RBs and same on down the line.

With COVID-19 recruiting and likely to be Jake's first big class of freshmen (give or take a few transfers: JC, 4year, grad), so far its a bit harder to gauge.

For instance, for long while we had 8-9 QBs listed and obiously many were the highest ranked like 5 and 4*s with a few 3*s. Now, we recently offered another 3-4. Of the total 13, 6 of them have already committed so about half are still available. If I were a guessing man, I'd guess with Vitt and Gipson as Juniors, then McBride Soph., and Case Fr.; one would think we aren't bringing in but one. I'd argue that if the numbers are good (meaning we can offer 25 ships) then we'll take 2. Again, like other positions we will try to upgrade the position. Also, must consider that someone may try to be a grad transfer after next season or just transfer and leave to play elsewhere is my guess.

From my numbers of ships, it would seem we are still going to be just under the 25 so we'll see how this plays out unless more students grad transfer and that may happen between this season (is S Freeman a grad transfer? we don' t know) or next season. Note: I don't see us at 26 or more ships until class of 2022.

RB offers are at 15 with only 2 commits so that is 13! A lot considering we have 2 transfers that seem to be both sophomores but we will lose 3 seniors at RB in Twyford, Brown, and Nelson so maybe its not too surprising. We'll definitely need to add at least 2 to have at least 5 on ship (with 2 transfers and Hill).

13 WRs offered with 2 committed; in spread O from my experience they always try to take 3-4; again will ships allow that is the question but my guess right now is 2-3 likely

6 TE offers so def 1 but maybe 2

6 OT offers so no doubt I'm still thinking 1-2

1 G offer so this may be an area we aren't as concerned with still more guys here

2 C offers so we'll see if we can take 1

2 Strong-side DE and 1 Weak-side DE between both... we'll need some (1) new depth at DE with JC DE coming in, Revels, Lynch, and my guess Jak. Smith still there

3 DT (I see this as position for DT and NT) so we'll need 2-3 likely for both positions with us losing Patton, Pierce, Daniels (and even Lilly this coming season)... Unless Nick Wilkins and Vazquez show they can play there

ILB 4 and OLB 4; expecting a few say 2-3 at most for continued depth plus will lose Graham, Brannon and Vinson

6 CB and 1 S; losing Rodgers and Dimery... guessing DBs we'll continue to add 2-3 if possible

My current count of ships available is less than 25 but higher than 18 with what we know right now about Washington, Carlisle, and Lilly graduating and moving on. Again, this is likely the reason Keff believes staff wants to take grad transfers to help now this coming season but have the ships the following season back. We'll see how this plays out. With recruiting challenges to get on campus for any recruit (grad transfers, FR or any other transfers), we'll see how they decide to use those 4 possible ships we have.

Bobkat34

I'm usually not a guy that watches other teams but its hard not to notice UTSA just added 7 commits in 2 days while North Texas and Rice each have 5 or more and UH/SMU have 2-3 each. I'm wondering if we may have a commit here or there but the Spavs keep things tight lip like they did last year.

Not trying to scare folks as its still very early and I don't care what other schools do but its just hard not to notice UTSA added 7 including OL kid that came to see one of our spring practices.

Most of UTSA commit aren't yet reviewed for stars and with less summer camps to review, 247.com will likely make decisions on just junior video.

I wouldn't be surprised Jake will be going after specific players for 3* types over 2* kids so that may also play a part and may take more time to get commits. We'll see.

Also, I don't expect to see as many JCs. Maybe 1-2 types but rest would be FR and again, I'm guessing the number we currently have (without grad transfer leaving TXST after next season and even this season: Carlisle, Washington, Lilly are 3 we know of now, not sure if Freeman is one too)... my number is 20-23ish with those 3 we know are leaving/graduating early.

Last edited:

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
UTSA just added 7 commits in 2 days
Yea, Jeff Traylor has made a name for himself on the recruiting front. I think a bunch of people expected him to come in and have pretty quick success on the recruiting trail.

Frank Wilson was a pretty good recruiter for them too I think. He just couldn't put it together in games.

Like you said, it's still early. We'll have to wait and see. Both with Spav and Traylor.

Bobkat34

JustinS09,

I'm not sure I agree on Wilson. Once he won with what was there, he began to struggle winning with HIS players. Maybe it was him, we'll see this coming season if Traylor wins with them.

If you look at 24/7 on our offers, over half at every position is a 3* with some at end of each position not yet ranked and yes, some of those will be 3* and even 2*. My point being that we may not have a commit yet but we are offering likely a higher ranked kid so far. Usually, that is every coaches starting point to offer the obvious talents and then more will be reviewed that are not yet ranked or on their 2nd/3rd list of players they are interested in.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Rankings will never mean less than they do for the 2021 recruiting class. Spring practices and summer camps are where 75% of these evaluations take place, and those aren't going to happen.

Bobkat34

LT... for 24/7 you are correct. Good point that rankings this year will or can only be by HS video alone. Not their camps.

If any of you saw the MJ documentary, Roy Williams said that at UNC once they saw him play they felt he was the #1 recruit in the nation. Before then, he was doing good things in HS but was not yet a national name...yet.

Imagine how many of these types may fall through the cracks this year, especially is junior camps are on hold until June/July... IF it even happens.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
How big of an impact is waiving SAT/ACT requirements having on recruiting? Seems like there was a mad rush of commits after that announcement was made.

Bobkat34

It can be BUT there are also university academic standards so SAT/ACT is not the only issue for say strong academic schools like Stanford, Rice, etc... Other schools may not have as difficult standards to be accepted to and so those schools can "find" a way to get a kid in.

Generally, there will not be 100s of kids added because most schools filled their 2020 ships already or have say 1-2 at most they can use or planned to use on transfer portal and if their needs like ours are mostly on experienced players to help... those schools may not rather take a chance on a kid that may not make it academically at the school.

My guess is many schools may consider a top talented kid as long as he passes all their checks (NCAA, university admissions, etc..) and again... he can play immediately type of talent. If not, is he better than taking a 1 year grad transfer? Maybe not.

TXSTHockeyGuy44

M&G Collective Member
This has probably already been thought of by the staff, but do we know if Spav, position coaches, and current & former players have thought about supplementing the Zoom meetings with like a filmed virtual tour of San Marcos hitting some hot spots like Old Main, Sewell, Rio Vista, the athletics facilities, football stadium, Herberts Taco Hut, Industry, etc? Probably more of a question for Keff, but was thinking on it just now as we always say our biggest selling point is actually getting kids on campus for a visit. So I ask the question, how do we do those visits virtually and get that point across?

Bobkat34

If the aren’t doing something, they are behind. I saw just yesterday A&M b-ball was going to have a virtual campus tour for recruiting.

I see SMU is revisiting their class of 2020 each day and they put up quotes about why they chose SMU. That is smart recruiting/marketing in this time of nothing you can do on campus. Hear what they say and it could connect with recruits. Sent one of those to TXSTFootball, Jake and Keff tweet this morning. Can’t be that hard to put together. We always say if we can get them on campus... well other than virtually you can’t so why not give some perspective on why others committed to you?