2022 SBC Tournament

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
JMU is the overall 1 Seed
TXST is the overall 2 Seed

Bobcats will play Friday @ 7:30 (subject to prior matches)

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Bad: USA and Coastal on our side - went to 5 in 3 of 4 matches vs these two

Good: We'll only have to face 1 of USA/Coastal
Good: JMU and Troy are the 2 most dangerous teams in terms of style of play, and they are on the opposite side of the bracket

B

Bakertxst04

Looks like USA is the most dangerous opponent in our bracket. We get by them and we have a legitimate shot at playing for the title.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I wouldn't discount Coastal at all. Whoever we play on Sat and Sun are going to be tough.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Chalk today

ARST sweeps GAST 3-0, plays Old Dominion next
Marshall over ULM 3-2, plays South Alabama next

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
JMU only has 1 dangerous team on their side of the bracket, we have 2. They have better playing times, IMO.

franslasttwinkie

Great point, I noticed that too but regardless we would obviously be in the West bracket even if we were the #1 overall. 5/8 of the JMU/CCU conference losses came against the West. Interestingly enough all of App's losses were within the East. Then 8/11 USA-Troy losses came within the West.

That being said nobody should probably sleep on App or USM either. It could be said that we have as many as 7 squads that are deserving of some relative fashion of national respect.

Back to your argument about JMU's RPI being overvalued. Our RPI definitely seems undervalued I hope we see all that play out on the court.

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

Just for giggles:

Troy 0-5 in P5 matches
JMU 0-1 in P5 matches
CCU 1-3 in P5 matches, 1-0 vs AAC
USA 1-1 in P5 matches, 1-2 vs AAC
App 0-0 in P5 matches
USM 0-2 in P5 matches
TXST 3-3 in P5 matches, 0-1 vs Hawaii (won 10/24 sets in those 7 matches)

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Great point, I noticed that too but regardless we would obviously be in the West bracket even if we were the #1 overall.
Correct. The times of the matches are the only inherent advantage from the bracket itself. That's minimal - just a couple of extra hours of rest and better ability to schedule meals, meetings, etc. They're all used to that stuff though. Those girls have been living on tournament time since they were 13.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member

Since debuting for the Texas State volleyball program in the 2018 season, the foursome of Jillian Slaughter, Janell Fitzgerald, Emily DeWalt and Lauren Teske are 10-1 in the Sun Belt's postseason conference tournament.

Slaughter, Fitzgerald, DeWalt and Teske are looking for their fourth conference tournament championship.

Texas State has won four Sun Belt Conference Tournament Championships: 2013, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

The Texas State volleyball program will enter the 2022 Sun Belt Conference Volleyball Championship leading the league in seven different statistical categories:
  • Assists Per Set, Individual – 10.97, Emily DeWalt
  • Total Assists, Individual – 1,163, Emily DeWalt
  • Team Kills – 1,493
  • Team Assists – 1,401
  • Kills Per Set – 14.08
  • Hitting Percentage – 0.289
  • Assists Per Set – 13.22
Texas State is the only team in the league to have knocked off the conference's regular-season champion, James Madison, during the regular season.

geezer

ARST upsets ODU 3-2, will play Troy next
GASO upsets USM 3-1, will play JMU next

USA over Marshall 3-1, will play Coastal next
ULL upsets App State 3-2, will play TXST next

Target time for tomorrow is 7:30

2-0 vs ULL, both sweeps - one easy peasy, one a real battle: 25-18, 29-27, 33-31
https://maroonandgolden.com/forum/index.php?threads/wk7-louisiana.1872/

ESPN+: link
LiveStats: link
Was that Butler gal playing in either of those matches? I know she has been injured.
She was the difference maker last night against Appy.

geezer

Dang, I thought that was her name. The announcers kept saying that someone was injured, just looked, it was Bennett.
She had 16 kills, 10 digs and 4 blocks. I think that would make a difference in a close 5-set match.

Watching the Troy AKST game, it's really close--who do we want here? Going to a 5th set.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Troy over ARST 3-2, will play JMU/GASO winner next
JMU sweeps GASO, will play Troy next

USA sweeps Coastal (21-13-12 woof Chants!), will play TXST/ULL winner next

Last edited: