2024 Softball

slycat

Grabbing this to start a new thread for 2024

2024 kicks off Thursday with a 6 game home tournament starting with UTSA and while the gals return a core group of grad players and seniors in Vanderford and McCann as well as Mullins. A half dozen of our ground ball slappers return as well.

Will be interesting to see if we are able to get more offensive production this year very few gals with proven slugging to put the ball in the gap behind Vanderford.

slycat

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Louisiana (144)
2. USA (127)
3. TXST (122)
4. Troy (918)
5. JMU (94)
6. CCU (81)
7. Marshall (79)
8. ULM (59)
9. USM (49)
10. GSU (36)
11. GS (25)
12. App (23)

Mullins was picked as the preseason pitcher of the year.

The preseason all SBC team includes:
Vanderford and Mullins

Fiefdom

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Louisiana (144)
2. USA (127)
3. TXST (122)
4. Troy (918)
5. JMU (94)
6. CCU (81)
7. Marshall (79)
8. ULM (59)
9. USM (49)
10. GSU (36)
11. GS (25)
12. App (23)

Mullins was picked as the preseason pitcher of the year.

The preseason all SBC team includes:
Vanderford and Mullins
Troy must be 98 points ?...LOL

franslasttwinkie

Looks like we are really trying to test our limits in what we have in non conference play. True FR Azua on the mound 1-1, headed into bottom of the 3rd. UTSA hanging tough with a miscue stepping on 1st and forgetting to tag the runner coming home. Zarate HR made things tied.

Fiefdom

Great debut by FR Azua, complete game with 12 Ks.

McCann starts second game, so that means Mullins probably won't pitch until tomorrow.

Vanderford goes yard with a three-run homer.

We have a very deep pitching staff, and if the bats show up this year, we can challenge for the SBC title.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know the rule on reviewing if a player left early? They just called us out after a review on a stolen base because we left early. Cat Osterman was saying that's not reviewable and I can't find it listed as one of the reviewable plays either.

Last edited:

Fiefdom

Combined no hitter without Mullins... McCann, Pierce, and Glende combine for the no-hitter, only base runners was a walk and an error.

Nice to see Smith finally hit a home run, plays good defense, but has been pretty much a disappointment offensively.

Bobcats win 7-0 over old foe Northwestern State.

Pleasant surprise to have four pitchers not named Mullins combined for a no-hitter and 13 straight scoreless innings in the two opening games.

Last edited:

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
The softball preview Brant and Cat did said we returned everyone. I looked and literally all 21 players from last season are back. That’s crazy. Added five freshman. Don’t know how that works with scholarships but should be a legit team you’d think.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Don’t know how that works with scholarships but should be a legit team you’d think.
Smaller slices and walk ons. Volleyball has been running w/ a HUGE roster for years - 2 yrs ago was 21 players, 12 scholarships, so 9 were walk ons. Softball gets 12 ships total, and they have 26 on the roster. Softball is not a head count sport so they can chop up the ships and give some to more, but I suspect there's a couple of girls whose parents are paying full freight.

franslasttwinkie

I didn't look into any preseason story lines and before we trotted her out there to start and about 3 pitches in I was thinking okay we are really doing some deep experimenting early season. Then by about the beginning of the 3rd I started to think is this true FR our new staff ace.

geezer

Hey Fiefdom, I've been disappointed with Smith's offense also.
She hasn't produced nearly as much as her freshman year at UT.