Bobcat Soccer 2023

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Very first athletic event of the new academic year and already a black out....

I just don't get it. What is our infatuation with black? Aside from the fact its literally 107* out, why are we so hellbent on wearing a color that is not one of our school colors?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I almost asked that in the replies to the uniform reveal on twitter myself. Hate it.

Bobcat1

Very first athletic event of the new academic year and already a black out....

I just don't get it. What is our infatuation with black? Aside from the fact its literally 107* out, why are we so hellbent on wearing a color that is not one of our school colors?
Particularly when it is homecoming and it is our opponent’s colors. 😒🤣🤣 #NotLettingThatOneGo #Petty

slycat

I hate how basketball leans into black and now soccer. Ugh. It's not a school color. It looks bad with maroon.

Linds

M&G Gift Contributor
I was able to watch around 50% of both the 1st and 2nd halves. I've got some opinions that I'll keep to myself for the time being, but another one I'll gladly talk about is possession.

This team has some bad habits that I see carrying over from last year, namely, losing possession through BOOM Ball. They needlessly boom the ball up the field to ABSOLUTELY NOONE in particular. There are 3 habitual offenders that do this game in and game out.

This isn't youth league and it should be unacceptable to do this at this level (unless clearing from the back.) HCH needs to bench those that do it to stop if from happening, but I'm afraid he's picked a few unwarranted favorites.

I will rewatch the game for the parts I missed (basically the final 20 of the first and the beginning 20 of the 2nd) to see if I can spot any other early trends.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
That third goal was a beauty
Man It really was... that shot happened so fast though that I was only able to capture the ball right before it got past the goal keeper. I missed the actual kick while I was looking at what I'd just gotten on the 2nd goal... I was so mad at myself. 😒

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
TXST Press Release

Bobcats Host Central Arkansas Sunday Afternoon

SAN MARCOS, Texas –
Coming off a season-opening victory on Thursday, the Texas State soccer team closes out the opening weekend by hosting Central Arkansas on Sunday. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Bobcat Soccer Complex.

Admission to the match is free. Fans can also watch the game on ESPN+ and live stats will also be available.

About Texas State
Scoring three times in a three-minute span saw the Bobcats record a comeback victory. Finding the back of the net was Lily Erb, Lucy Hart and Zoe Junior with Hart’s tally being the match-winner. Picking up assists on the night were Kennley Bradley, Victoria Meza, Bailey Peschel and Junior. Both Alexis Neal and Mady Soumare came off the bench to take a team-high four and three shots, respectively.

Beth Agee started in goal and played the first 84 minutes where she made one save. Finishing off the match between the posts was freshman Caitlyn Draper.

About Central Arkansas
The Bears fell on opening night 5-1 at UTSA. Their lone shot of the night was a converted penalty kick by Kelly Van Gundy. On the backline, Gabby Thies, the younger sister of former Bobcat Avery Thies, was selected to the All-ASUN Preseason Team and played 78 minutes against the Roadrunners. Splitting playing time in goal was Lenja Kenstel (2 SV, 2 GA) and Kajsa Pruner (3 SV, 3 GA).

Coming into Sunday’s contest, UCA is 1-9-2 in road matches dating back to the 2021 season. The only win in that time came on Oct. 2, 2022 at Queens by a score of 2-1.

All-Time vs. Bears
Texas State leads the all-time series 5-2-0 and are 3-1-0 when hosting the Bears. After splitting the first two meetings, the Bobcats won four straight matches before UCA claimed the last meeting on Sept. 18, 2020 by a score of 2-0 in San Marcos. The contest in 2020 was the first time the teams faced off as non-conference opponents as both were previous members of the Southland Conference.

Last time TXST defeated the Bears was on Oct. 16, 2011 with a 2-0 scoreline that was contested in Conway, Arkansas.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
It was HOT out there but we managed to stay in the driver's seat most of the match. Zoe Junior recorded her second goal of the season, but it was mostly offense by committee in the afternoon heat. 5 different players scored today. (We now have 7 players with goals in just 2 matches)

Final:
Bobcats 5
Bears 1

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
TXST Release:
Bobcats and Mean Green to Battle Thursday Night

SAN MARCOS, Texas –
It will be a battle of 2-0-0 teams Thursday night at the Bobcat Soccer Complex as Texas State hosts North Texas with kickoff slated for 7:30 p.m.

Admission to the match is free. Fans can also watch the game on ESPN+ and live stats will also be available.

About Texas State
Seven different Bobcats have found the back of the net so far. The only multi-goal scorer has been Zoe Junior with one apiece coming in each contest, and she is just the third Bobcat to do so with the last being Kaylee Davis in 2018. Bailey Peschel has recorded a team-high two assists with both coming on Junior’s tallies. Entering with a goal and an assist on the young season is Lily Erb, Lucy Hart, Victoria Meza and Olivia Wright.

Both Beth Agee and Caitlyn Draper started a match between the posts and recorded a save apiece. Draper played all 90 minutes against Central Arkansas and the final six versus McNeese. The freshman comes in with a 0.93 GAA and Agee has a 1.08 GAA.

About North Texas
The Mean Green opened the year with two 3-0 victories at UNLV and against Northwestern State. In the America Athletic Conference’s Preseason poll, UNT was picked to finish third in a competitive West Division.

Summer Brown leads the squad with two goals and five points. She is one of three players, along with Kat Burnell and Rachel Roebuck, to have been credited with an assist. Also finding the back of the net has been Devyn Flannery, Jenna Sheely, Bailey Wesco and Burnell. The most shot attempts have come from Sheely with eight and Brown has recorded six shots.

In goal, Maddie Ogden has started both contests. The Colorado State transfer has made six saves on the season. Bella Lister saw action for the final 10:46 against the Lady Demons where she faced just one shot that was off target.

All-Time vs. Mean Green
North Texas has dominated the all-time series with a 9-0-1 advantage. The Mean Green won the first nine meetings with the closest margin being a goal, which happened three times (2021, 2006, 2001). Last season, Texas State went on the road and claimed a 2-2 draw with the match-tying goal coming from Haley Shaw with just over five minutes left on the clock.

When hosting UNT, the Bobcats are 0-4-0 with the last meeting coming on Feb. 28, 2021 that ended by a score of 1-0. TXST also fell by a goal (2-1) at home on Aug. 27, 2006.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
TXST Release:
I-35 Rivalry Renews on the Pitch

SAN MARCOS, Texas –
For the first time since 2019 the I-35 rivalry between Texas State (2-1-0) and UTSA (2-1-0) returns to the pitch as the teams will meet on Sunday at 7 p.m. from the Park West Athletics Complex.

Fans can watch the game on ESPN+ and live stats will also be available.

About Texas State
The Bobcats are coming off their first loss of the season on Thursday after North Texas netted three goals in the second half. Zoe Junior leads the team with two goals while Lily Erb, Lucy Hart, Victoria Meza and Olivia Wright have totaled three points with a goal and an assist apiece. Pacing the squad with two assists is Bailey Peschel, with both coming on Junior’s goals.

Between the posts, three Bobcats have started after Katelyn Chrisman got the start against the Mean Green. She made eight saves on the night. Both Beth Agee and Caitlyn Draper have recorded a save apiece in their time on the pitch.

About UTSA
The Roadrunners are coming off a 2-0 loss at Kansas State on Thursday. Their two victories have been against Central Arkansas (5-1) and McNeese (2-0).

All seven of UTSA’s goals have been scored by seven players. Both Sabrina Hillyer and Alissa Stewart have recorded a goal and been credited with an assist on another. Both Alex Glanville and Jordyn Hyland have a team-high three assists.

Mia Krusinski has played all 270 minutes in goal. The redshirt junior sports a 1.00 GAA while making five stops for a .625 save percentage.

All-Time vs. Roadrunners
Texas State has won the last two meetings and four of the last five to lead the all-time series 5-3-2. The last regular season meeting in 2019 saw Kaylee Davis flick in the lone goal of the contest early in the 12th minute.

When playing in San Antonio, the Bobcats are 2-1-2 in the series. That lone loss was a 1-0 contest in 2010 when both teams were members of the Southland Conference. The draws took place in 2008 (1-1) and 2006 (2-2).

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
TXST Release:

Bobcats and Cowgirls Faceoff Thursday

SAN MARCOS, Texas –
For the second year in a row the Texas State soccer team (2-2-0) will host a Big XII Conference opponent at the Bobcat Soccer Complex. This year the Bobcats welcome Oklahoma State (3-1-0) to town for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff Thursday night.

Admission to the match is free. Fans can watch the game on ESPN+ and live stats will also be available.

About Texas State
TXST dropped a 1-0 decision on Sunday to I-35 rival UTSA in its first road match of the season. Combined with the 3-0 setback to North Texas last Thursday, the Bobcats have been shutout in back-to-back contests for the first time since 2021. Zoe Junior leads the team with two goals while Lily Erb, Lucy Hart, Victoria Meza and Olivia Wright have totaled three points with a goal and an assist apiece. Pacing the squad with two assists is Bailey Peschel, with both coming on Junior’s goals. A team-high 12 shots and six shots on goal has been recorded by Alexis Neal.

Katelyn Chrisman has started the past two matches between the posts on her way to recording a 2.00 GAA with 10 saves and a .714 save percentage. Both Beth Agee and Caitlyn Draper have started a match apiece between the posts and have stopped a shot each.

About Oklahoma State
The Cowgirls posted back-to-back shutouts last weekend at home over FAU (3-0) and Little Rock (8-0). They opened the year with a 4-0 victory against Stephen F. Austin. The lone loss of the season came in their only road match of the year at Missouri State (2-1).

Hannah Chance leads OSU with six goals, five of which came this past weekend including a hat trick versus the Trojans. She has also taken a team-high 11 shots and recorded two match-winning tallies. The trio of Adelhia Ghonda, Logan Heausler and Laudean Wilson have all recorded two goals and two assists. Also finding the back of the net twice has been Nicole Ray while Alex Morris has been credited with a team best four assists.

In goal, Grace Gordon has made three starts and played 201:12 minutes. She has posted a 0.89 GAA with four saves. Ary Purifoy has appeared in three contests and made one start. In 132:33 minutes, the junior has not surrendered a goal and made save saves. Both Caroline Dill (17:12) and Peyton Pearson (9:03) have played in one match apiece and have not faced a shot.

All-Time vs. Cowgirls
Oklahoma State has won the only two meetings between the teams. Last time the teams met was on Aug. 26, 2006 in San Marcos. That day saw the Cowgirls hand Texas State a 10-0 defeat, which is tied for the largest margin of defeat in Bobcat history. The first meeting was the year before in Stillwater with OSU winning 3-0.

Bobcats Facing the Power 5
Thursday’s match will be the 42nd against a current member of a Power 5 conference in team history. Texas State has posted a 5-34-2 record in the previous 41 matchups with a 5-28-2 mark against Big XII opponents. The other six contests have been against a SEC foe.

The Bobcats have two victories each against Houston and TCU with all of them coming prior to the programs joining the Big XII. Only win in TXST history against a team while a member of a Power 5 conference was at Texas Tech on Sept. 6, 2002. Scoring the only goal in the 1-0 victory was Allison Crain in the 71st minute while Kristen Tutt made six saves between the posts.

TXST Hosting P5 Opponent
The match on Thursday will be the eighth time that the Bobcats will have hosted a Power 5 program. The previous meetings have been against Auburn (1999), Baylor (2008), Oklahoma State (2006), Texas (2014) and Texas Tech (2003 & 2007). In the previous seven contests, Texas State has recorded a 0-6-1 record with the lone draw being a scoreless contest against Baylor.