Bobhorn Tears

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I get the UT hate. But I don’t get people talking trash about T shirt fans lol. We would be lucky that people outside of who graduated from here are rooting for us, buying merch, supporting the university and programs.
T-shirt fans are fine. T-shirt fans are usually people that didn't graduate from the school or any other school with a program to support. The problem is, like @Bobcat2013 pointed out, we have TXST alumni who are T-shirt fans of other schools.

If TXST didn't have a football program, or were D2 heck even FCS, then it wouldn't be as big a deal. However, TXST is now in the same division as UT. You should root for and support your alma mater over another university in the same division.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
We actually do have some t-shirt fans. I've met quite a few over the last few years and they're awesome. Most of them live locally or they grew up in the area.

I don't have a problem with Bobcat alumni rooting for more than one team. It's the people that wear burnt orange and spend their money at UT while pretending like they didn't go here that make me roll my eyes.

Root for as many teams as you want, but...

If you spent four years of your life in San Marcos and this is the only university you attended... and another school is STILL your first love? That is some weird ass self-loathing.

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I was a Longhorn fan as a kid, but I was a mediocre student in high-school.

I'm not sure that I would have been accepted to UT had I applied there first, but my grades at Texas State have been solid enough that I could have transferred almost anywhere else if I didn't want to be here. Why would I though?

Texas State is the school that took a chance on me, so Texas State is the school that has my loyalty. This is my home now.

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
Texas State is the school that took a chance on me, so Texas State is the school that has my loyalty. This is my home now.
This resonates with me and is why I did a 2nd undergrad and grad school at TXST. I could have gone to most anywhere after graduating in '19, but TXST was such a special place for me in my transition from military to civilian life that it was a non decision to go elsewhere. That's why TXST gets my time, energy and resources.

I'll always be a Longhorn fan, except when they play us, but the orange is cleared out of my closest. I truly believe we're building something special here.

franslasttwinkie

We actually do have some t-shirt fans. I've met quite a few over the last few years and they're awesome. Most of them live locally or they grew up in the area.
I've met several as well. One was pretty vocal on Twitter for a while, but I can't remember his handle. He was always deep in comments on national football tweets about backing that G5 and P5 shouldn't have labels, etc. Think he was from Seguin. Bet we have more t shirt fans in that Seguin, Lockhart/Martindale/Uhland rural corridor than we think. Maybe a bad take but it's kind of like our little version of Cen Tex "Appalachia".

Then I was sitting next to a handful that were big fans and all undergrads at Texas State Tech College - Waco at Baylor game.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I don't have a problem with Bobcat alumni rooting for more than one team. It's the people that wear burnt orange and spend their money at UT while pretending like they didn't go here that make me roll my eyes.
This is my best friends. I'm in a group chat for umpteen years with a Bobcat and a 3rd dude who went to SFA, and probably 3/4 of our discussion is UT sports. It drives me up a wall that they constantly use "we" and act like the world has ended when Texas loses, as if it's their name or honor that's been shamed. On some level, I get it - both of them grew up in Austin, 1st guy's parents are Horns, family has had season tickets since he can remember, and neither of their schools had programs or success of that magnitude, so they don't see them as anywhere close to equal. But I'll never understand feeling that way about a college you didn't attend. Gave up long ago trying to get the Bobcat to go to a game - never going to happen. I also recognize some level of my own disconnect, because I say "we" and feel like my name or honor has been shamed when my pro teams lose.

Last edited: