For bye week giggles

Who do you believe gives Texas State the best chance to win?

• Tyler Vitt

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Gresch Jensen

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Jaylen Gipson

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Cedric Case

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Brady McBride

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bobcat1

Based on what you’ve seen this season and what you know of the Texas State football team, vote on the poll.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
I’m am going with Gresch for a couple of reasons:
A. Our coaches have way too much riding on the line of their career’s to be tanking the season over something petty as playing favorites.
B. The coaches are working with these players just about every single day. There is no way that they are not seeing something in the players that we, as keyboard coaches, do see.
I trust that these coaches truly are doing everything they can to win and produce on the field. If we are still having this type of conversation at the end of next season I will be concerned. #LeaveBobandJakeAlone so they can do their jobs.

Bobcat1

I’m am going with Gresch for a couple of reasons:
A. Our coaches have way too much riding on the line of their career’s to be tanking the season over something petty as playing favorites.
B. The coaches are working with these players just about every single day. There is no way that they are not seeing something in the players that we, as keyboard coaches, do see.
I trust that these coaches truly are doing everything they can to win and produce on the field. If we are still having this type of conversation at the end of next season I will be concerned. #LeaveBobandJakeAlone so they can do their jobs.

Fair. (y)

Bobcat1

Write in vote for:
Don't have a damn clue.

Which is what everyone on this site would vote if they could be honest with themselves.

The ol’ “you don’t know what it’s like defense.” 🙄🙄

Last edited:

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I don't think you have to be a coach to look at Vitt's body of work compared to Jensen's body of work and say that Vitt should AT THE VERY LEAST have gotten a lot more playing time through the out of conference and FCS game part of the season...

Bobcat1

Yea, I don't think you have to be a coach to look at Vitt's body of work compared to Jensen's body of work and say that Vitt should AT THE VERY LEAST have gotten a lot more playing time through the out of conference and FCS game part of the season...

Agreed. People make it seem like we didn’t see Vitt in nine games last year vs Jensen in five so far this year. Main difference was that Vitt never had the advantage of playing against cupcake teams to pad his stats (for whatever reason WJIII got to play all those and had great stat lines). Every game he played was against legit competition and he did admirably against UTSA & ULL & was serviceable as a true freshman against the others.

Last edited:

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I bet there are people voting that literally haven't seen 2-3 of those guys throw a football before.

No offense to anybody, but a lot of you guys don't know half as much as you think you do...

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
At this point it's Jensen because of the reps. Would have liked to see Vitt get a few series during the Nicholls game but that's water under the bridge now.
Jensen would have to totally fall apart like he did in the second half of Wyoming for me to support a switch.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I bet there are people voting that literally haven't seen 2-3 of those guys throw a football before.

No offense to anybody, but a lot of you guys don't know half as much as you think you do...
Which is why almost all of the votes are for Jensen and Vitt. Those are the 2 we've actually seen.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Agreed. People make it seem like we didn’t see Vitt in nine games last year vs Jensen in five so far this year.
Agreed. People make it seem like we didn't see Vitt in nine games last year. 😆

mexibat31

Jensen has been serviceable and has the hot hand right now, but I just don't understand how you give Vitt the starting nod at A&M and then totally give up on him after 2 quarters of play. That whole scenario just doesn't look right to me. Was it all smoke and mirrors? Jensen has arguably performed just as bad as Vitt did in those 2 quarters, but they have not pulled or given Vitt another opportunity.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Jensen has arguably performed just as bad as Vitt did in those 2 quarters,
I'm not sure the stats favor that position. Jensen didn't look great against A&M but Vitt was noticeably worse.

Vitt's A&M stats
PSX_20191004_151444.jpg
Jensen's first five games
PSX_20191004_153753.jpg
Vitt's last 5 games not counting A&M
PSX_20191004_153708.jpg

carmanjello325

Jensen has been serviceable and has the hot hand right now, but I just don't understand how you give Vitt the starting nod at A&M and then totally give up on him after 2 quarters of play. That whole scenario just doesn't look right to me. Was it all smoke and mirrors? Jensen has arguably performed just as bad as Vitt did in those 2 quarters, but they have not pulled or given Vitt another opportunity.
Let’s put it this way, taxman’s probably shed some light on it by now I’m sure and I know Will Butler has touched on it but ‘Vitt gives us the best chance to win’ and Jensen gives us the best chance ‘not to lose’. In other words you want Vitt in when you’re behind and Jensen in when you have a significant lead (11 points wasn’t even enough for him... (could have been much more) against WYO with a defense that hardly gave up a point that game on their own).

Though if you had never heard of football and he wasn’t wearing our jersey color you would wonder which team he was on based on Jensen’s ill-timed picks

Last edited:

Bobcat1

I'm not sure the stats favor that position. Jensen didn't look great against A&M but Vitt was noticeably worse.

Vitt's A&M stats
View attachment 322
Jensen's first five games
View attachment 325
Vitt's last 5 games not counting A&M
View attachment 326

Not true, we covered this after the A&M game. You take out Jensen's drive against A&M's third string defense that last drive and their stats were mirror images with a slight edge to Vitt since he faced tougher competition:

Vitt was 9 of 15 (60%) for 51 yards with a 3.4 ypa average with two INT (all against the A&M 1st team)

Jensen was 13 for 22 (59%) for 78 yards with a 3.54 ypa average with two INTs (against the 1st team and three drives against their 2nd team from 3:37 left in the 3rd Qtr into the 4th Qtr)

You conveniently did not post Vitt's first two games last year where he had six TDs and 2 INTs (for a 3:1 TD to INT ratio) against legit defenses, an efficient game the likes of which we have yet to see from Jensen at the FBS level.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
My only gripe about the QB situation. Maybe one day we will get a reasonable answer.

carmanjello325 said:
Let’s put it this way, taxman’s probably shed some light on it by now I’m sure and I know Will Butler has touched on it but ‘Vitt gives us the best chance to win’ and Jensen gives us the best chance ‘not to lose’. In other words you want Vitt in when you’re behind and Jensen in when you have a sizable lead.
Jensen will sling that thing without looking with the best of them, so not following the best chance "not to lose" narrative. From what I saw of Vitt last year, he has a slower delivery but a bigger arm. However, he was a freshman and usually your biggest jump at QB is from your 1st year as a starter to your 2nd. My only argument this year at the QB position was to simply give Vitt more of a look than 8 passes at A&M, particualrly since he won the starting job after an entire summer of practices. Nevertheless, I'm rooting hard for Jensen to have success.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Not true, we covered this after the A&M game. You take out Jensen's drive against A&M's third string defense that last drive and their stats were mirror images with a slight edge to Vitt since he faced tougher competition:

Vitt was 9 of 15 (60%) for 51 yards with a 3.4 ypa average with two INT (all against the A&M 1st team)

Jensen was 13 for 22 (59%) for 78 yards with a 3.54 ypa average with two INTs (against the 1st team and three drives against their 2nd team from 3:37 left in the 3rd Qtr into the 4th Qtr)

You conveniently did not post Vitt's first two games last year where he had six TDs and 2 INTs (for a 3:1 TD to INT ratio) against legit defenses, an efficient game the likes of which we have yet to see from Jensen at the FBS level.
I tried to delete that because I knew you'd jump on it and I didn't feel like arguing with a wall today but here we go.

Yeah... We covered this. Pretty much everyone agreed that neither QB looked good against A&M but Vitt was noticeably worse. I saw the game and so did the rest of us. Don't try and gaslight us. You can try an polish a turd all you like. It's still a turd.

Yes, I absolutely care more about how Vitt finished the season than how he started it. That's the difference between teams having film on you and teams not knowing what you can and can't do.
You conveniently left out that those first two teams were not actually legit defenses. They were a terrible 3-9 UTSA and a 7-7 ULL team that gave up over 30 points a game last season. Also, Vitt's stats in those two were 5tds to 2ints, that's not a 3:1 ratio. He also finished the year with 7tds and 10 ints which means he finished the year with 1:4 TD/int ratio in every other game he played in but those. 1:5 if you count A&M.

I'm not saying Jensen is great but I doubt that Vitt is the long lost savior you're making him out to be.

I too have wondered why Vitt hasn't gotten another look but I also allow for the possibility that Coach Spav and Stitt have seen enough. If the coaches truly saw this as an even race then it makes sense for the staff to pick one qb and stick with him to build continuity and confidence.

A QB carosel in week 6 isn't good for anyone. Especially if there is little to gain over any potential cons.

Bobcat1

Yeah... We covered this. Pretty much everyone agreed that neither QB looked good against A&M but Vitt was noticeably worse. I saw the game and so did the rest of us. Don't try and gaslight us. You can try an polish a turd all you like. It's still a turd.

No one is gaslighting anyone. I was at the game, not watching it on tv. Even A&M fans were wondering “why hasn’t #11 gone back in? Did he get injured? He was handling our defense better”

Those fans were also the ones who were pointing out in the 3rd Qtr “Okay, looks like we are putting in our backups now. I think Jimbo is saving them (the ones) for the Clemson game” and when I commented how we were finally moving the ball on offense they said “yeah, almost all 1’s & 2’s are out now.”

Also, the 6:2 TD to INT ratio included the rushing touchdown which you missed but other people are including for Jensen’s numbers. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

GolfCat

I'm surprised there hasn't been a coup in the locker room since 2 has been named the starter cause 11 had the backing of the team at the beginning of the season. It's a wonder we are even able to field a team and not have to rely on guys to play "iron man" football. All this talk about coaches playing favorites every single week and posting polls about who gives us the best chance to win going into the 6th game of the season is getting as old as listening to a bunch of Jr. High cheer moms wondering why their daughter didn't get pom pom girl of the week. What good is a poll going to do? Stroke somebody's ego and make them feel like they were right so they can continue to say "I told you so". Heck, I'm going with lucky #7 just because nobody has made that pick. If you really think that the results matter I suggest you print it out and walk right into Jake's office and give it to him and let us know how that turns out.

Bobcat1

I'm surprised there hasn't been a coup in the locker room since 2 has been named the starter cause 11 had the backing of the team at the beginning of the season. It's a wonder we are even able to field a team and not have to rely on guys to play "iron man" football. All this talk about coaches playing favorites every single week and posting polls about who gives us the best chance to win going into the 6th game of the season is getting as old as listening to a bunch of Jr. High cheer moms wondering why their daughter didn't get pom pom girl of the week. What good is a poll going to do? Stroke somebody's ego and make them feel like they were right so they can continue to say "I told you so". Heck, I'm going with lucky #7 just because nobody has made that pick. If you really think that the results matter I suggest you print it out and walk right into Jake's office and give it to him and let us know how that turns out.

It's the bye week, this is filler material until the next time y'all's darling #2 falls flat against a semi-decent team and y'all come back on here to tell all 19 other people who disagree how wrong we all are and we aren't coaches, and maybe we should apply for the OC job, etc etc etc.

:rolleyes: