Game Thread - Vs. UTA

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Just 2 days after playing UTA in Arlington, we turn around and play them again Saturday afternoon in San Marcos in a game being pushed as a blackout by the AD. There's also a silent auction during the game in the lobby of the University Events Center. I don't know what they have to bid on but may be worth checking out.

Saturday Schedule
Arkansas State @ Coastal Carolina (-4) - 12pm
Georgia State (-3.5) @ ULM - 2pm
Little Rock @ App State (-11) - 3pm
UTA @ Texas State (-6.5) - 4pm
South Alabama (-1.5) @ Troy - 6pm
Georgia Southern @ Louisiana (-6) - 7pm

Conference Standings
1. App State 7-2
2. South Alabama 5-2
3. Arkansas State 4-2
4. Troy 4-3
5. UTA 5-4
6. Texas State 3-3; Coastal Carolina/Louisiana 4-4
9. Georgia Southern 2-5
10. ULM 2-7
* below 80% threshold*
11. Little Rock 2-3
12. Georgia State 1-4

NET Rankings
113. South Alabama (+7)
141. Coastal Carolina (+5)
142. Texas State (-17)
149. Arkansas State (-10)
152. App State (+7)
182. Troy (-12)
183. Louisiana (-15)
224. Georgia Southern (+6)
227. UTA (+8)
247. Georgia State (+21)
270. ULM (-8)
304. Little Rock (-1)

TXST News
  • Texas State just lost to this UTA squad Thursday night in Arlington to fall to 12-6 overall and 3-3 in SBC play, falling from 5th place to a 3-way tie for 6th in the conference standings. Play has been as sloppy as its been all season over the last 3 halves of basketball for TXST. Hopefully a 3-game homestand will help clean that up and get this team back on track.
  • With UTA moving to the WAC in July this could be the last meeting with UTA for awhile, though I would think this would be an opponent we'd maybe schedule in non-conference games going forward:
  • PG Mason Harrell's 6 assists vs. UTA on Thursday got him into the top 10 all-time at TXST with 269 for his career.
Scouting UTA
Just scouted them yesterday so check out Thursday's game thread for specific info on the UTA team:

Last Meeting/Series History
UTA won Thursday's game 70-58 to give them a 41-36 all-time lead in the series. TXST is 21-16 however when the game is in San Marcos.

Betting Odds
TXST is a 6.5 point home favorite.

UTA Message Board

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Small came up big in the last few minutes. Overall a good response. There still seems to be something a bit off about the team. Even though it feels like we have more talent off the bench we just aren’t as consistent as last year. Hopefully we are still knocking off the rust from two weeks of no basketball.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That one wasn’t pretty but a needed W. Martin has basically become a non factor. He has nine total points the last five games. Also Harrell. He’s gone from 11 shots a game to under 7.5 this season. Think Davis running point and him being off ball helped create some shots for him, but they need to get him more involved offensively

TXST

This season has been weird. I have expected more offensive production with the chemistry the big 3 (4 with Shelby) should have.

Harrell has been getting blocked all season if he attempts any interior shots. Small hasn't been much of an offensive weapon, but came up with huge rebounds at the end. Asberry is inconsistent, but even if he's hot, we're very one dimensional and it'd be easy to disrupt our game plan. Nate and Nighael don't stop battling, but are also inconsistent and not much of a dominant force down low.

Next season could be ugly if Drinnon, Dawson, and Morgan don't step up as team leaders.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I think we're just cold right now. Honestly I think UTA out-coached us pretty badly in these two games. Their zone defense gave us all kinds of problems and we never really figured it out. They made sure Harrell wasn't gonna beat them and game-planned their defense around that and it worked. Asberry couldn't stay out of foul trouble and Small just has refused to be more assertive the last few games for whatever reason (aside from the last minute or so yesterday).

I'd like to see both Harrell and especially Small (I DON'T mean by putting up more 3's for Small, get to the rim man) be more aggressive on the offensive end going forward. Those are 2 of our 3 players we should be able to rely on to score. Don't be timid, go put up some points. Hopefully Asberry's knee isn't affecting him, but if he can stay healthy and out of foul trouble hopefully he comes back around. He was on fire a couple weeks ago. Agree Martin has become a non-factor, Ceasar would likely be starting but Ceasar seems to be more effective coming off the bench for whatever reason so I'd expect Martin to continue to start. Of note is 3rd string center and only true freshman on the team Brandon Love got some significant minutes these last two games so TJ is seeing what we are out of Martin/Ceasar also. It is what it is, we're weak at center and its why I keep harping that we really need to try and sign another one very soon. I'd especially like us to be able to find one 6'10" or above if possible. We're at a size disadvantage against virtually every team we play at center.

Big couple games coming up this upcoming week. Conference-leader App comes to Strahan Thursday night. That'll be a huge game if we want to make a run at another championship. Hopefully we've just hit a little cold streak and yesterday's win and 3 straight home games help us get back into form.

jonnjonzzn

I don't trust being able to get down and back up my steep ridge today so two tix available. 1st row across from Cats bench. Someone use them and drink beer and be obnoxious to opponent on my behalf!