Group of 5 Guys Podcast Ep. 36 UTSA and Texas State

Bobcat1

1st time for me to watch these guys.

Texas State conversation starts at 17:20
I like their prediction of 7-4, but based overall on their entire conversation, this team is in trouble. And Hatcher is not the answer at QB everyone thinks he is. During the Jensen debacle, I remember seeing him out on the square after a home loss without a care in the world (two weeks later he was permanently benched agains ULM). Same with McBride. It used to be the same with Bradley George early on for those who remember…his first two years he was seen more often at the square than at the weight room. It wasn’t until he got that out of his system that he delivered the two winning seasons in 2007 & 2008.

The portrait the guy paints toward the end of the video of Hatcher walking in the bar with chains and glasses is one of a guy enjoying life as best he can (despite this being his fifth year in college), not someone focused on winning.

They brought up the stars in high school, so it made me dig a little: Hatcher had five offers out of high school, but only three were FBS (Alabama, Arkansas, Arkansas State). It sounds a lot like Alabama went QB shopping for a camp arm late in the recruiting cycle and brought him in to sit in the room.

Evans still remains the best QB prospect we’ve ever had, and he has a good grasp on the offense already. Until Hatcher can prove otherwise, that he is a team leader and not a swashbuckling renegade (seems my assessment of him as McBride 2.0 was correct), I think Evans gives us the best chance to win.

They did mention that Evans was pregaming too at Chimy’s, and that our entire line knew their way around the square fairly well. This close to camp, and this close to the season….huge 🚩🚩🚩🚩 & 🚨 🚨🚨🚨 bells coming up. 😬😬😬🤷🏻‍♂️

Bobcat1

Found this nugget from an Arkansas State write up:

Except Hatcher never did re-acquire the magic of 2019. In one four game stretch, Hatcher threw an incredible ten interceptions. As starter, he was held to three games under 200 yards. After the loss to Louisiana, he would never throw for more than two touchdowns per game, disastrous for an offensive without an effective run game.
That was basically the reason why McBride was benched his last time out: throwing eleven INTs in three games in 2021.

Cyberpunk

The portrait the guy paints toward the end of the video of Hatcher walking in the bar with chains and glasses is one of a guy enjoying life as best he can (despite this being his fifth year in college), not someone focused on winning.
What?.. They were talking about Julian Ortega-Jones, not Layne. And who tf cares if players wear chains and nice glasses? Let our boys be iced out.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I like their prediction of 7-4, but based overall on their entire conversation, this team is in trouble. And Hatcher is not the answer at QB everyone thinks he is. During the Jensen debacle, I remember seeing him out on the square after a home loss without a care in the world (two weeks later he was permanently benched agains ULM). Same with McBride. It used to be the same with Bradley George early on for those who remember…his first two years he was seen more often at the square than at the weight room. It wasn’t until he got that out of his system that he delivered the two winning seasons in 2007 & 2008.

They brought up the stars in high school, so it made me dig a little: Hatcher had five offers out of high school, but only three were FBS (Alabama, Arkansas, Arkansas State). It sounds a lot like Alabama went QB shopping for a camp arm late in the recruiting cycle and brought him in to sit in the room.

Evans still remains the best QB prospect we’ve ever had, and he has a good grasp on the offense already. Until Hatcher can prove otherwise, that he is a team leader and not a swashbuckling renegade (seems my assessment of him as McBride 2.0 was correct), I think Evans gives us the best chance to win.

They did mention that Evans was pregaming too at Chimy’s, and that our entire line knew their way around the square fairly well. This close to camp, and this close to the season….huge 🚩🚩🚩🚩 & 🚨 🚨🚨🚨 bells coming up. 😬😬😬🤷🏻‍♂️
Aren't you a little old to be out on the square? Heck I felt old the last time I went out there a few years ago and I was 27 then

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
The Square is part of what brings people to Texas State University. The Square is a massive part of what people sell San Marcos and TXST to be. If they are out having a good time in the off-season, who cares? That’s what TXST is known for, a great time.

Ortega-Jones was the one referenced as looking the part in the vault. Who doesn’t want to look good when going out with their group? I just think it’s a bit of overkill to say we are in trouble because our guys are having a good time in the capital of Texas schools having a good time.

For the record I’m not sold on a great season at this point because I haven’t been sold by what I have seen from Spav and co. Empty promises thus far. I am optimistic about this group because I want the absolute best for this program and I think Spav and co are genuine in their intentions. Knowing our guys love each other and are doing things outside of the facility and love being at the facility together, does give me hope we are trending positively.

Bobcat1

The Square is part of what brings people to Texas State University. The Square is a massive part of what people sell San Marcos and TXST to be. If they are out having a good time in the off-season, who cares? That’s what TXST is known for, a great time.

Ortega-Jones was the one referenced as looking the part in the vault. Who doesn’t want to look good when going out with their group? I just think it’s a bit of overkill to say we are in trouble because our guys are having a good time in the capital of Texas schools having a good time.

For the record I’m not sold on a great season at this point because I haven’t been sold by what I have seen from Spav and co. Empty promises thus far. I am optimistic about this group because I want the absolute best for this program and I think Spav and co are genuine in their intentions. Knowing our guys love each other and are doing things outside of the facility and love being at the facility together, does give me hope we are trending positively.
Pretty sure he was talking about Hatcher, he was mentioning how he was making all the throws & then when he showed up to the square he was all decked out. If it was Ortega-Jones, I feel a little bit better. Receivers are flashy by nature and don’t have the entire offense on their shoulders at all times.

I’m not against having a good time, I was part of more than a few mixers between us, the baseball team and the ADPis/Delta Zeta’s back in my day. But never during the season or two weeks before camp opened. From Spring Ball to Summer I, have at it. That’s three fulls months of unwinding and team bonding. Two weeks before reporting, that’s way past the time to get back to business.

On another note…when will they schedule off-season scrimmages against UT again? I miss those from the Nealy & George years. 😂

Linds

M&G Gift Contributor
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

No, he was not talking about Hatcher. What do you mean IF it was Ortega-Jones? You are unbelievable.

You are throwing a fit about them being on the square yet not a peep about how they were back at the facility the very next morning WORKING OUT ON THEIR OWN!

vp98

You've heard of Rookie Dinners in the NFL? Some teams do that during training camp or after the final cuts. The team goes out to dinner and makes the rookies pay for it. These usually amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars. These are during training camp or the week before the first game. I'm sure its hungover back to work the next day. This is what the professionals do. I'm sure there is far more consumption at these dinners than when some guys on the Bobcat football team goes out to the square.

Bobcat1

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

No, he was not talking about Hatcher. What do you mean IF it was Ortega-Jones? You are unbelievable.

You are throwing a fit about them being on the square yet not a peep about how they were back at the facility the very next morning WORKING OUT ON THEIR OWN!
Tell me you don’t understand optimal athletic performance without telling me you don’t understand optimal athletic performance. 🙄

Showing up means you showed up, doesn’t mean it was a quality workout or it advances your peak performance toward your goal.

Linds

M&G Gift Contributor
I can't even believe you are real. I would swear you're actually just a bad-take-bot, but apparently Saul has experienced you IRL.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I've never met, or seen, Taxi IRL. I've floated the bad take bot theory in the past as well.

Bobcat1

I can't even believe you are real. I would swear you're actually just a bad-take-bot, but apparently Saul has experienced you IRL.
“OMG, he’s so dedicated! He was out all night drinking and partying on the square AND showed up to work out on his own the next morning!”….that’s your take, and you’re saying my take of getting proper rest to have an optimal workout two weeks before camp starts is the bad one? Please teach me more on how to win in college athletics with your extensive coaching and performance knowledge. 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️😂

This isn’t Varsity Blues, and even THEY lost their game with those antics.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
“OMG, he’s so dedicated! He was out all night drinking and partying on the square AND showed up to work out on his own the next morning!”….that’s your take, and you’re saying my take of getting proper rest to have an optimal workout two weeks before camp starts is the bad one? Please teach me more on how to win in college athletics with your extensive coaching and performance knowledge. 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️😂

This isn’t Varsity Blues, and even THEY lost their game with those antics.

My man, Johnny Football partied. Vince Young, partied. Our man of faith, Timmy Tebow, was out with the Pouncey bros and A-Hernandez clubbing during their time at UF. College kids party. I graduated TXST magna cum laude… I partied hard. Didn’t take away from my dedication at all. Just that phase of life. It’s a weak argument.

Bobcat1

What?.. They were talking about Julian Ortega-Jones, not Layne. And who tf cares if players wear chains and nice glasses? Let our boys be iced out.
Yeah, he was talking about Ortega-Jones, his transition from Hatcher to him was confused. The issue is not the chains and Gucci glasses, the issue would be what it represents and who the wearer is. Deion Sanders wore it, but he was a top 5 NFL draft pick. If it was a three-time QB transfer who’s not even guaranteed the starting spot who’s out living the night life….that would be a pronounced lack of leadership qualities.

But it’s a moot point since it was Ortega-Jones, no one is going to be scared of a guy who caught 11 passes in 11 games with 115 yards. He can try and raise his NIL profile any way he wants. 😏