Happy Franniversary!

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
On this day, 13yrs ago, Dennis Franchione was (re)hired to be the HC for our beloved Bobcats. My thoughts from that day:

And my missive on the matter:

why fran sucks

for those of you under the impression that fran has a good resume, this is for you.

i contend that fran has fallen upward and done it rather impressively. he moves upward at the first hint of success, and while i can't blame him for advancing his career path, i'm amazed that anyone who follows college football at a level higher than watching sportscenter and checking espn.com every now and then thinks he is a successful, above average, coach who has built programs. it blows me away that the thought even exists, much less is propogated. simple math should crush that whole concept.

i'm not arguing fran is a terrible coach. not by any stretch. at the d1 level, the man has won 10 games a couple of times and has some conference championships under his belt. multiple conference championships at the d2 level when he was at pittsburg st. as well. but i'm here to make the case against being good, not the case for total shittiness.

there are two parts of this argument. successful coaching and building a program. wins and losses vs building the foundation for long term success.

swt
1990: 6-5
1991: 7-4
success on field - no. 1990 is obvious. 1991 - 3 of the 4 losses were in conf.

program building - no. two years is much too short a time to even think about that. never mind the 5-5 and 2-9 seasons following his departure.

new mexico
1992: 3-8
1993: 6-5
1994: 5-7
1995: 4-7
1996: 6-5
1997: 9-4 (mac mount div champ, lost ccg and bowl game)
success on field - no. one successful season out of six, including 3 losing seasons, is not successful. 97 is a very nice year by most accounts, but a loss to 6-5 utah and zero wins vs teams w/ more than 6 wins, and only 2 of those (the wac was fucking horrid then).

program building - no. 3 losing seasons, leaving w/ the 1st success (not building on it), and they went 3-9 and 4-7 right after he left - it's not like there was some recruits stockpiled.

tcu
1998: 7-5
1999 : 8-4
2000: 10-2 (wac co-champs)
success on field - somewhat. the wac was still absolute crap in 2000. lost to a 5 loss team in conf and the 9 wins came against teams that were 41-76 overall (.350). 10 wins is 10 wins, but don't act like it wasn't 10 wins against shit teams.

program building - somewhat. 3 years isn't exactly building anything, but there's no denying he took a team that lost 10 games before he got there and won 10 games when he left. i'd argue that his best move was hiring gary patterson as his dc, and that 10win season had a lot to do w/ a senior heavy team - see 6-6 the year following his departure, then back to back 10 win seasons for patterson. half credit.

bama
2001: 7-5
2002: 10-3
success on field - somewhat to yes. 10 wins in the sec is legit no matter how you slice it. now, they lost to the only 3 good teams they played (ou, uga, aub), didn't have to play florida or lsu, and got their 10th win vs hawaii in an irrelevant bowl. it was about as weak a 10 win season as you could imagine (think texas 06, 07).

program building - no. 2 years and hauling ass in the middle of the night isn't building shit, especially when the next guy goes 4-9.

texas a&m
2003: 4-8
2004: 7-5
2005: 5-6
2006: 9-4
2007: 7-6
success on field - no. 2 losing seasons, 2 barely over .500 seasons, one 9 win season. in that 9 win season they finished 3rd in their division (not conference) had 3 conf losses, and their big win was over texas w/o a qb and a def coordinator w/ one foot out the door. wins over fcs citadel, army, ulala, 6 win ku, 7 win osu and 4 win baylor further devalue those 9 wins. 8 win mizzou was their best win other than texas, and it was in college station.

program building - no. finally stays somewhere long enough to do something and he leaves the program in the same situation it was when he got there, and certainly no consistency. in terms of recruiting, overall he wasn't bad, but against his competition, he wasn't up to par, and he was trending downward when he left. he actually left texas a&m in pretty shitty shape as far as talent goes.

2004: 13th in the country (rivals for all of these, out of simplicity). not bad at all. except that his 3 biggest competitors, texas, ou and lsu all had higher rankings.
2005: 8th in the country. pretty damn good. higher than ut and lsu, but that's mostly on the basis of overall numbers - anm had 26 recruits, while texas only took 15 and lsu only took 13. still, 8th nationally is very good.
2006: 26th in the country. texas, ou and lsu all had higher rankings.
2007: 43rd in the country. texas, ou and lsu all had higher rankings.

in 3 of the 4 years at anm, he finished behind his closest competition for talent.

for those of you who are pro-fran, i ask why? how is a guy who got fired for being a shitbag, has a dour, dorky personality, and is 60 years old, the guy you want leading our charge into fbs and the wac? what is it you think he does well? make your case.

now that he's the head coach in san marcos again, i wish him all the success in the world. i'd love to be eating crow in 4 years. but when it doesn't happen, don't act like there wasn't plenty of evidence beforehand. oh, and i purposely left out the shitbaggery part of the man, choosing only to attack him on the merits of his job results.

slycat

My memory of Fran was if we were tied or losing at halftime, we were not going to win. And the offense was boring. I wanted him to go and had no idea how much worse it could and would get.

franslasttwinkie

I’m not offended. Y’all are lucky I took your offer that was a a measly 15% of what I was making in College Station, barely enough to cover Horseshoe Bay bare essentials.

Y’all could have done worst than me in 2011. See Kurt Charles Keeler with not enough resources.

Signed,
DF

TxSt1992

I can only imagine where we would be right now if we had better leadership at the time and had hired an up-and-comer instead of a has-been.
Anyone remember who else we were considering during that time. I was personally disappointed in the hire mainly for his time at A&M. I thought then that Franchione had lost his mojo if you will but sounds like he never had it to begin with.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I've always said Fran did a pretty decent job transitioning us from FCS to FBS.
2011 was kind of a throwaway year in transition, and I definitely wouldn't call it a success for Fran. But I typically give 1st year HCs a pass.
2012 was a decent year as a 1st year FBS team, mostly single-handedly propped up by the UH win though.
Granted the SBC wasn't near as competitive back then but both 2013 and 2014 were decent seasons for a 2nd and 3rd year FBS program eclipsing 6 wins both years.

Then 2015 happened.

And I'm not sure I can ever forgive Fran for it. I have no idea how or why things managed to fall off the rails so quickly, but it just seemed like Fran gave up at some point in the season and the players followed suit. Then he literally gave up, not right when the season ended mind you, but in like late December. And then our favorite ex-AD begged him to stay for a week before starting a "coaching search". Say what you want about Withers but I doubt we've ever had a coach that inherited a bigger mess than him, and it was all Fran's fault.

Also agree with those who have mentioned Fran teams were often boring and/or frustrating to watch. Our offense would go into snail mode anytime we got up in a game. Though that defense with Mayo, Rak, Mager, Morris, etc. was really fun to watch at times. I look back on 2012-2014 with fondness as that was a pretty good period of TXST football and I wish that could be the view of Fran I could have now, but 2015-2022 were some dark times that he pretty much single-handedly set in motion with whatever the hell he was doing post-2014. That 2016 team was really, really, really bad. And while Withers probably exacerbated it with cleaning house it may have actually been the right move for long-term success. Fran left that team in absolute shambles.

franslasttwinkie

It’s really hard to say with a straight face that Fran left things any worst for EW than EW left for Spav or Spav left for Kinne.

This is complete ridiculousness. Fran won 3 more games in his 1st 4 seasons as a transitional unit playing from behind than EW and Spav won in their combined 7 seasons fully transitioned.

Also hard to say that either of EW or Spav was any better than the other. If one was any better of an on field coach than the other they were probably a lesser recruiter than the other. They each had way too much off the field mischief too. EW bad mouthing media and repeating their questions back to them in the form of the same exact question. And the Spav dirty laundry which shall not be named.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Not hard for me to say with a straight face. Things were never worse for this program at the FBS level than they were in 2016. Withers improved the program, albeit only slightly, each year he was here. Spav inherited a much better situation than Withers did. Spav mostly just treaded water his entire tenure, but there were some pieces there for GJ to work with.

Another thing to consider though is Withers didn't have the ability to do what GJ was able to do. Things have changed a lot in a short 7 years or so. How many scholarships short were we in 2016? Like 20? Only able to bring in 25 guys per class back then capped what we were able to do numbers-wise, while Kinne was able to bring in 50+ in year one to immediately address every position.

slycat

Anyone remember who else we were considering during that time. I was personally disappointed in the hire mainly for his time at A&M. I thought then that Franchione had lost his mojo if you will but sounds like he never had it to begin with.
Most the names were coaches that had been around. Tim Brewster was one.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
No one forced Withers to nuke the roster or to insult every player he didn't recruit.

If Withers inherited a mess, then he created a disaster area with it. Taking one down year in 2015 and kick starting 7 consecutive losing seasons with it. We can't blame Fran for that.

Some of our most loyal/most vocal FBS football alums were Fran recuits too. They can't be nearly as bad as Withers made them out to be.

slycat

Fran left him a empty cupboard and Withers threw almost the rest of Frans guys out. He screwed himself and was super short on scholarships for the whole time. He could never catch back up.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Anyone remember who else we were considering during that time.
Among those believed to have been in the running for the Bobcats job were former Texas Longhorns assistant and Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster; former Colorado and Boise State coach Dan Hawkins; and current Oklahoma and former UT assistant Bobby Jack Wright.

For the record, I think all 3 of those were shit options.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Traylor also had interest in the job during both hires.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It’s really hard to say with a straight face that Fran left things any worst for EW than EW left for Spav or Spav left for Kinne.
I think it's important to note that we're really splitting hairs or looking at shades of gray when arguing this. None of them left much in the cupboard for the next guy.

I don't disagree that Withers didn't need to go scorched earth in the way he did, but remember that the 2015 team under Fran had a terrible reputation for being on the square more than the weight/film room, long before Withers ever showed up. We knew that in the fall of 2015. Even more than an actual talent perspective, Fran poisoned the program's spirit/attitude/culture. It's been a while since I broke down the guys who left between 15 and 16, but iirc, it didn't include any real contributors - like, who left where we were bummed because that was a real player for us? Who wasn't on that 2016 roster that put up any kind of numbers for us previously? Or did anything at their next stop?

@_x_ referenced it all falling apart in 2015, and that was 50% the poor recruiting and 50% Fran going back on his agreement to stay out of the offense. Yes, we had injuries at OL, but as he pointed out, you could see the frustration in the players on offense from the stands clear as day. Jones would get the play from the sideline and you'd immediately see his shoulders slump because he knew how it was going to go.

Fran's recruiting took a real nose dive after the 1st couple of classes. Nothing at QB after Tyler Jones. Same w/ OL as that first round or two of OL were awesome - Freeman, Romero, Bellard, Melton, Tuttle - and nothing after that. Our OL situation was so bad in his last year that he signed a juco C w/ zero offers the week we started fall camp, and that guy not only started 8 games that year, but for the rest of his time here.

Fran didn't recruit a single quality QB after Tyler Jones. Conner White, Randy Price, Blake Peterson, LG Williams, Devin Williams, Braden Kent. C'mon. Say what you want about Vitt, Hatcher or even Evans, but all 3 are better than every one of those guys.

Look at RB - he pulled in true studs in Lowe, Franks, Nuttall, and Best, but after that? Mayberry, Siudzinski, Taylor, Bingham, Brown, Aldridge (Morbley and Tutt were Withers signees). Those 6 guys gave us 3,931 total yards and 24 TD...Robert Lowe alone gave us 3,552 and 34. Only Mayberry ever broke 500 yards rushing in a season (593 in 2016).

And as mentioned, the cherry on top was leaving the way he did, so late in the cycle. Like that guy doesn't know how the hiring cycle works, eh? He knew exactly what he was doing by waiting that long, and who he was dealing with in Teis who wouldn't fire him.

Last edited:
Reactions: _x_
B

Bakertxst04

I remember my father-in-law mentioned Traylor since he was OC at Arky at the time (FiL is a big UA guy). He was surprised that we didn't go after Traylor since Arky was a nationally ranked team and Traylor had deep Texas ties. It's frustrating to think of what could have been if we had hired Traylor instead of the dirty birdies.

Still, I'm glad Don and KD have set us up for future success with hiring Kinne. It also makes me confidfent that if/when Kinne moves on that they have the ability to identify talent and support them with what they need to succeed.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I remember my father-in-law mentioned Traylor since he was OC at Arky at the time
Traylor was never OC at Arky. He was the RB coach and Associate HC. Regardless, he would have been better than Spav, no questions asked.

B

Bakertxst04

Ah, I knew he was at Arky. I couldn't remember which position he coached. Ty!

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Among those believed to have been in the running for the Bobcats job were former Texas Longhorns assistant and Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster; former Colorado and Boise State coach Dan Hawkins; and current Oklahoma and former UT assistant Bobby Jack Wright.

For the record, I think all 3 of those were shit options.
How was Hawkins so bad? He failed at Colorado but did great at Boise State.
IMG_8567.jpeg

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
How was Hawkins so bad? He failed at Colorado but did great at Boise State.
In a vacuum, I don't necessarily disagree on Hawkins. But he's coming off of 5 straight losing seasons, and not barely losing like 6-7, but Withers/Spav losing seasons of 3-9 and 3-6 when he got fired. How is that an exciting or hopeful hire for the fanbase to get behind and support as we try to sell tickets? Absolutely zero connections to Texas - whole coaching career was PNW and then CU. Fran's best attribute was that he was so experienced in Texas and his name would pull in recruits, which it did, at least at first. How would those first couple of recruiting classes have looked if a guy who hadn't had a winning season in 6 years and didn't know a single HS coach in TX was the one calling on recruits? I'd also point out that history seems to be on the side of not hiring him as no one hired him for 7 years and then his time at Cal Davis didn't exactly set the world on fire.