Help me age this item

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I would assume sometime between 1959 and 1969.

"The Fifty-sixth Texas Legislature changed the school's name to Southwest Texas State College, effective September 1, 1959, and in 1969 the legislature again authorized a name change, this time to Southwest Texas State University."
From "Texas State University". Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Did you not have The Lair when you were in college? Does it no longer exist? edit - seeing that's what they call the food court now maybe?

The Lair was essentially the Student Center before LBJ was built. It was in the building just south of Old Main and had pool tables, big screen TVs, etc

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
As a food court, yes. I assumed it was something different and the name was used due to historical value.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Yeah, it wasn't the food court when I was there in the 90's - all we had was Jones. It was basically a place where students could hang out.

The name just comes from a place where Bobcats live, as far as I could tell. I could see it having more functions back in the 50's and 60's than it did in the 90's for sure. Don't think they were doing book buybacks then, but I also think I poked my head in there like once.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Also, the location you are talking about was the Den when I was there and looks like it still is. The lair is LBJ's food court area.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
When were you there? I was there 91-96

If you were there after the LBJSC was built and the Lair got moved, then that makes sense for the name change.

geezer

Guess I'm the only one old enough to remember that. SWT was still a college in 1967 when I first enrolled. The building that housed the Lair was on LBJ, across the street from Beretta Hall on one side and Evans on the other.

Bookstore was upstairs and there was a ballroom where I danced to George Chambers and the Country Gentlemen.

Lair was downstairs with street level entrance on LBJ side with the pool tables and food. There was a balcony above where we spent a lot of time watching the girls go by during class changes.

My sweetie of over 54 years, resided in Beretta and was suite mates with the GOAT, Karen Chisum.

GolfCat

Guess I'm the only one old enough to remember that. SWT was still a college in 1967 when I first enrolled. The building that housed the Lair was on LBJ, across the street from Beretta Hall on one side and Evans on the other.

Bookstore was upstairs and there was a ballroom where I danced to George Chambers and the Country Gentlemen.

Lair was downstairs with street level entrance on LBJ side with the pool tables and food. There was a balcony above where we spent a lot of time watching the girls go by during class changes.

My sweetie of over 54 years, resided in Beretta and was suite mates with the GOAT, Karen Chisum.

Good stuff geezer. Thanks for sharing.

SWTSC

Do remember dances upstairs , but recall both the lair and bookstore on the 1 st floor with entrance facing Evans and pool tables (& entrance) etc being below on LBJ. Then again, my increasing brain white matter has been slowly screwing around with my memory banks for some time now…guess should be at least thankful wasn’t SWTTC when I attended!!

402EA904-E9C7-46E9-8F63-280780BBBC32.jpeg

geezer

Do remember dances upstairs , but recall both the lair and bookstore on the 1 st floor with entrance facing Evans and pool tables (& entrance) etc being below on LBJ. Then again, my increasing brain white matter has been slowly screwing around with my memory banks for some time now…guess should be at least thankful wasn’t SWTTC when I attended!!

View attachment 5496
You are right. I just put the billiards with the Lair in my old mind.

geezer

This was the upgrade replacement of the old building that was used when I was a student.
Heck, old LBJ was still alive and President when I first enrolled. He dropped by and lectured at a government class.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
He dropped by and lectured at a government class.
That’s pretty epic! Closest I got to something like that was interviewing Walter Cronkite for an honors journalism class* and getting to ask him about his famous editorial comment on Vietnam, to which LBJ said, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America."

*edit: over the phone, as part of the class - I did not set up my own face to face interview with Walter Cronkite.

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

I think the Den is where CFA, Pizza Hut, Starbucks and Blimpie? used to be next to George's bar in the basement (1st floor) of the now LBJ student center. I have no idea what the 2nd floor (or 3rd floor?) of the LBJ student center is (was?) called where there is (was?) also a Chartwell food court that didn't really have any brand name restaurants but had several TVS and an outdoor balcony.

The Lair as I recall was an atrium-like building connected to the University College (undecided, undeclared college majors) where on the 2nd floor was Einstein Bagel and maybe a Starbucks or knock off coffee shop. This building also had sort of a food court on the 1st floor, maybe 2nd as well.