Is it true?

Bobcat1

Since this section had no questions or threads on it, thought I'd kick us off with a random question. A friend said that his mechanic told him it was not optimal to ever let your gas tank get below a quarter because it makes the fuel pump and the fuel injection system work harder since it pulls in fumes along with gas through the lines, giving you less fuel efficiency.

Any of that hold any water?

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard that too. The idea is that once the gas in your tank gets below the fuel pump, it starts taking on air and can cause it to wear out prematurely. Not sure how much of a difference it actually makes though.

I have over 130K on my challenger now and usually fill up when it hits empty. Never had a problem with the fuel pump, knock on wood...

Bobcat1

I've heard that too. The idea is that once the gas in your tank gets below the fuel pump, it starts taking on air and can cause it to wear out prematurely. Not sure how much of a difference it actually makes though.

I have over 130K on my challenger now and usually fill up when it hits empty. Never had a problem with the fuel pump, knock on wood...
Yeah, that’s exactly what he was saying. Thanks for verifying it. 👍🏻😁

GolfCat

I know Chevrolet trucks were bad about the internal fuel pumps failing due to letting them run "dry" for lack of another term. My 2006 Dodge Megacab with Hemi had almost 200K on it before the fuel pump gave up the ghost. And, I was real bad about letting the low fuel light come on. With that said the light would come on and 24-26 gals of fuel was all it would take with a 32 or 34 gal tank. My 2017 Chevy has a much smaller tank and when the low fuel notification goes off at just under 50 miles to go it's time to start looking to fill it up. With a 26gal tank I have put 25.30 into it. Talk about cutting it close. I also buy Lucas' fuel system treatment by the gallon and use about 6oz per fill up. They say it helps keep the fuel pump lubricated. Maybe that is why the one on my Dodge lasted so long.