Keff Podcast

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
WOW. That is quite the shocker - well, the Hatcher one is...someone had already mentioned that Mark was a PWO.

What's interesting to me is how many of these guys are PWO when we're so far under 85. Like, wtf is Jake holding out for?

TXSTLightBeer

That is very odd that Hatcher has been paying out of pocket for his tuition! Especially since he will be paying out of state tuition!!

TXSTLightBeer

WOW. That is quite the shocker - well, the Hatcher one is...someone had already mentioned that Mark was a PWO.

What's interesting to me is how many of these guys are PWO when we're so far under 85. Like, wtf is Jake holding out for?
If anything I’m extremely impressed by the people he has been able to convince to enroll without a scholarship

DrumCat

Spav said multiple times "we're at 85 scholarships right now" and alluded to a couple kids graduating over spring and freeing up their scholarships. I don't pretend to understand scholarship management, but I'm guessing they can't technically sign anyone till those scholarships are up.

Also mentioned there's 5 or 6 recruits that won't get here till summer that they can't talk about yet.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Remember that typically players are signed in February but don't go on scholarship until July when they show up on campus.

Also - when has Spav said we're at 85 ships? I didn't think we were at 85 this past fall, and we certainly aren't now with the +/- since Dec.

Bobkat34

Yeah, Jake said 85 as of right now and did say a few things to give us an idea who are still here. Vitt and Dobson for example he mentioned were still here and Dobson is working out with team rather on his own for NFL opportunities.

Also, Jake spoke about blueshirts from this past 2021 class (we were never told who they are be it HS kids they brought in or with all this COVID recruiting going on could transfers be used as blueshirts like guys that came in late last year DL Sears and DE Mitchell came in after transfer deadline to play) and maybe using some for this 2022 class.

I did a quick review of our seniors that haven't graduated (or didn't show up in Dec grad twitter photos)... they are Vitt (masters and Jake said he's still here); Dobson (said he's still here working out and graduates this May); Pierce; McCann; DBs Sutton; Williams, Lovett; Lefeged Jr. Not sure all grad transfers are still here be it DBs or McCann but they could be due to year long scholarship. If all here, that is about 8 guys so 72+8=80 and if the others are blueshirts and/or the other 13 we don't know how it played out... guess that is the 85

Keff does mention PWO TE Austin Groeschel is on ship now so they did have a ship somewhere to put him on ship.

We have a good amount of seniors to be (eligibility wise) that are likely to graduate this May and as Jake said... they will "work with them" and help them find a place if you will. So there WILL be attrition.

Jake even in a nice way says we got ahead of the transfer portal and haven't lost as many.... BECAUSE they can't just leave now without losing a year of playing time for any transfer since 2020 class. Other schools didn't go transfer route and are losing more now while many or a quarter of ours can't leave easily.

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
See, that's where the overlap is misleading. 85 as of this minute is due to the guys on their last semester. That means they had a cap as far as bringing in guys this spring. It doesn't have anything to do w/ signing players right now to come on board for the upcoming season.

I'll say it again, but as someone who follows recruiting, this is one of the most annoying parts of being a small time program: not having a dedicated $9.95er that has these numbers mapped out for us.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Remember that typically players are signed in February but don't go on scholarship until July when they show up on campus.

Also - when has Spav said we're at 85 ships? I didn't think we were at 85 this past fall, and we certainly aren't now with the +/- since Dec.
I think what this tells us is they want transfer portal guys for everyone else. If it was grad transfers, juco, or high school there is no reason to mention that we are full through spring because they would have come in for fall.