Mahdi to 1,500…

Bobcat1

Claude Mathis had back to back 1,500 yard seasons, along with a 1200 yard season a sophomore.

Mahdi is more than halfway to a 1,000 yard season, which we haven’t had since Rob Lowe. Once he gets to the 1,200—1,500 range I’ll jump on the Heisman bandwagon. 😎😏

Colt Golden

Barring an injury, I got to believe he will get to 1,000. Over 30 touches last game and held on to the ball. No reason he doesn't get 20 touches a game if healthy.

Dang, in 14 we had a year running the ball. Lowe with 1,000, Terrance Franks over 700, TJ over 500, and CJ Best over 300.

Franks had amazing straight-line speed. I remember him going 99 for a TD in Bobcat Stadium.

Colt Golden

So you post about how he’s not good and defenses are figuring this out in one place, and then start a hype thread about him in public. That’s weak, even for you.
So you want him to be more positive, but ....

All he and I ever said was that he was not one of the best in country and that was before ULL. Dipspit17 had the crazy take before the ULL game. Before Mahdi got 40% of his carries on the year in one game.

I admit I couldn't see him as more that 15-20 touches kind of guy. Last game changes my perpective, but I still say he doesn't do much after contact. The way a top back in the country would. Maybe, my idea of a great RB has gone the way of a dinosaur.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Within 10 minutes he posted 2 completely opposite threads about Mahdi. I've been calling Taxi a hedging flipflopper for years, but to start competing threads at the same time is lame. This one is especially lame, given how much he's talked Mahdi down in the last week.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
So you want him to be more positive, but ....

All he and I ever said was that he was not one of the best in country and that was before ULL. Dipspit17 had the crazy take before the ULL game. Before Mahdi got 40% of his carries on the year in one game.

I admit I couldn't see him as more that 15-20 touches kind of guy. Last game changes my perpective, but I still say he doesn't do much after contact. The way a top back in the country would. Maybe, my idea of a great RB has gone the way of a dinosaur.
Shall I pull the stats for before the ULL game for you? It wasn’t a crazy take before the game either and by golly let me be the first to apologize for having a factual opinion about OUR team having one of the most explosive players in the country. We are supposed to be fans of this team.

franslasttwinkie

Mathis also played football back before the modern spread passing offense was really a thing yet. In the 90's offenses were still coming out of an old 'I' formation with a true blocking fullback leading the holes on a lot of carries. That's comparing an era that was also something to the tune of over 80% run heavy and the vertical deep shot spread passing game was hardly a thing. Just little bits and pieces I can remember that have gone fuzzy over the years.

See QB Eric Crouch at Nebraska around the turn of the millennium. Those kinds of rushing stats are ghost numbers for what teams did on the ground then vs now.

Colt Golden

Shall I pull the stats for before the ULL game for you? It wasn’t a crazy take before the game either and by golly let me be the first to apologize for having a factual opinion about OUR team having one of the most explosive players in the country. We are supposed to be fans of this team.
I know the stats and I have watched all of our games at least twice (with the exception of the last). Stat wise he had one game of over 100 yds rushing before U of L. I also know he doesn't gain much after first contact, which is a big part of what I think a back should be able to do. If he was the 2nd coming Kinne would have had him playing from the get go. I will say he might just go on to prove me wrong. He has skills that I have repeatedly stated: vision, jump cuts, quickness through a hole.

PFF has him as the 21'st best back in college football which is much higher that where I thought he would be. Wonder where he was at before ULL, because the great game surely propelled him some spots.

BTW, our QB is in the top 20 of the country according to their rankings.

Remember these folks had Brewer rated real high and he went on to an NFL career.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
I know the stats and I have watched all of our games at least twice (with the exception of the last). Stat wise he had one game of over 100 yds rushing before U of L. I also know he doesn't gain much after first contact, which is a big part of what I think a back should be able to do. If he was the 2nd coming Kinne would have had him playing from the get go. I will say he might just go on to prove me wrong. He has skills that I have repeatedly stated: vision, jump cuts, quickness through a hole.

PFF has him as the 21'st best back in college football which is much higher that where I thought he would be. Wonder where he was at before ULL, because the great game surely propelled him some spots.

Remember these folks had Brewer rated real high and he went on to an NFL career.
You know the stats and are now referring to PFF having him as the 21st back… out of the 130 FBS teams, all of which have running backs, please make it make sense how my take was crazy then… or now.. that Mahdi was/is among the best/most explosive players in the country?

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member

Also the Titans gave Brewer a shot and I’m very happy for him and love seeing his success. What you left out was the titans football operations are heavily influenced by Withers guys who were on TXST’s staff who knew what Brew could bring. As everything in life, it’s about who you know. Not PFF rankings.

carmanjello325

I also know he doesn't gain much after first contact
would seem struggling for yards after contact are common for backs that are sub 190. its not the yards after contact that are cause for cautious concern its his balance and sometimes seems like he gets spun around easily or victim to turf monster. end of day we averaged 118 rush yards a game after fran left and we are now a little over 200 yards a game which is some marked improvement. now to work on finishing drives getting points on the board and padding win column

Colt Golden

You know the stats and are now referring to PFF having him as the 21st back… out of the 130 FBS teams, all of which have running backs, please make it make sense how my take was crazy then… or now.. that Mahdi was/is among the best/most explosive players in the country?
Ok, so out of 130 what is best. Top 10% 13 or evan more like top 10 in my mind. #21 for #21 is solid and higher than what my eye test and knowledge (or lack there of) had him.

30 carries at over 5 yrds a carry agianst ULL is tremendous. Did not think he was evan capable of a game like that.

I hope he keeps it going. I hope he gets all kind of accolades and is a Doak Walker Award finalist. However, we still face two of the best defenses (statistically) in the conference. Mahdi, didn't get many touches versus Baylor or UTSA which I have to think are the best defenses we have seen this year. Not sure how that bodes for him or our offense. If he keeps it going he has a legit shot. That Troy game is the next big test for our offense and Mahdi.

Loved that he had a reception evan after getting wrapped up. I noticed they had that funny looking quick pitch on his first carry back in the game and then a legitimate reception later. Thrilled to see it didn't cause any issues taking handoffs.

TxSt1992

I think that people are talking about two separate things. 1. his potential as an NFL talent and 2. his statistics. I don't know anything about researching NFL potential, personally I think he'll get a shot, but then again I don't know, nor do I care about that stuff.

2. Mahdi's statistics clearly show him to be one of the best RBs in college football this year.

Bobcat1

Mahdi was/is among the best/most explosive players in the country?
Because….he’s….not. He’s a system driven stat monster who has yet to face top tier competition for a full four quarters. Is it ok to be excited and want him to succeed as a Bobcat fan? Absolutely.

Is it realistic to think he’s better than say Blake Corum, Will Shipley or even Jonathon Brooks up at UT? No. That’s being delusional about our talent on the roster.

As it stands, he’s not even top three in the SBC.

Brooks, as only a Sophomore, has FOUR straight 100 yard games of which two are against ranked teams. And even HE is not in the conversation as one of the nation’s top RBs.

Colt Golden

#1 in Yards Per Carry
T4 in Rushing Touchdowns, 2 behind #1
#6 in Rushing Yards
#7 in Rushing Yards Per Game

Bonus: #1 in All Purpose Yards, +20 on #2
OK

You want stats.

We have faced the 83rd, 85, 112, 114, and 118 rushing defenses in the country. Plus a fcs school.

ULM is 111 thank goodness. Troy is 11.

Then there are my eyes. From what I have seen and my knowledge of the game he is not one of the best in the country. I guess I could be swayed if his talents continue to overshadow his obvious discrepancies (YAC) and he continues to get the job done.

Troy will be a huge test for our offense.

I will agree he has put on some of the best performances in the college game this year. He is thriving and I hope like heck he continues to do so.

Last edited:

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
@Bobcat1 @Colt Golden culture killers. Sucking of fun and positive energy from the board. I just won’t post any more excitement about our team and players. I’ll talk to my walls instead of fellow bobcats and “fans”. Sheesh, you two should be ashamed.