MBB Assistant Coach Guster hired by NMSU

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Lately? Been to the NCAA tournament 10 times in the past 17 years. Over those same 17 years we are an even .500 at 266-266 while NMSU wins 69% of their games at 382-173. If you'd like to use our most recent success as a measuring stick, say...the past 7 years when we are above .500, they still have 4 NCAA appearances to 0 and have 22 more wins while playing 12 fewer games.

But yeah...step down for sure.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I’d like them to go outside and hire someone but assuming Ojai moves to a full-time role?

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Step down in the sense that they currently wish they were a dumpster fire. Not sure if yall have heard about the drama they had last season. One player was involved in a shooting while on an away game trip and apparently there was lots of hazing

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Yup - they just hired Sam's HC. Guessing there's a full roster turnover too.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I still wouldn't call it a step down. A lateral move at worst, but more than likely just a sensible career move. NMSU is more of a basketball school than anything and historically they have been a better program than us. It also looks like he will be the #2 on the sideline. He has been stuck as the #3 and #4 for the entirety of his time here.

Bobcat1

I still wouldn't call it a step down. A lateral move at worst, but more than likely just a sensible career move. NMSU is more of a basketball school and historically they have been a better program than us. It also looks like he will be the #2 on the sideline. He has been stuck as the #3 and #4 for the entirety of his time with us.
Nevermind, was thinking of UNM, not NMST. But if he is going to be the #2 there, then that’s a good career move for him.

slycat

UNM is a big basketball school too. Average crowds for 2022.

TXST - 1852
UNM - 8697
NMST - 5785

Bobcat1

UNM is a big basketball school too. Average crowds for 2022.

TXST - 1852
UNM - 8697
NMST - 5785
Surprising given their lack of success the last decade. That’s why they came to mind first. Goes to show once you establish a winning foundation, fans will be willing to still show up long after that despite being mired in the 0.500 region.

slycat

UNM is supposed to have a heck of an environment for basketball too. My dad went to some games growing up in Albuquerque. It is likely another situation where there are no pro teams so the colleges get better support.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I imagine it's quite a bit easier to draw crowds when you're a flagship university in an isolated metro with a lot of history and not much going on playing in a pretty dang good conference.