Mike Leach Appreciation Thread

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Some great stories I hadn't heard.
I've been a Leach aficionado from the jump and was well ahead of the curve on Riley (I posted about wanting him to replace Fran back when he was the OC at ECU), but had never read the story above about Leach cutting him from the team and offering him the coaching position. Dude's whole career is literally a treasure chest of great stories.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Wish I could find the tweet again, because I certainly didn't know this off the top of my head, but Mike Leach coached at Texas Tech, Washington State and Mississippi State. Not exactly CFB powerhouses.

In those 21 years as a HC, those teams went to 19 bowl games and he was 51 (!!!) games over .500.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
I’m so glad he locked Craig James’ kid in a shed.
Too bad he couldn’t lock the Pony in there as well.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Leach's Tech tenure included not only going 7-2 against Texas A&M but also needling the school's Corps of Cadets. In a New York Times profile by author Michael Lewis in 2005, Leach said: "I ought to have Mike's Pirate School," he said. "The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."