Namesake…

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Saw a good sized Bobcat tonight out on a jog. They aren't shy where I live, I'll get about 5-6 feet from them and they still don't run off. I'm not gonna risk getting much closer and taking a paw swipe to my shin though...

Anyway, feel its a good omen. Bobcats secure the sweep over GSU tomorrow...

GolfCat

Received this picture from our ranch manager this morning. His words were "Last 2 days this bobcat has followed me the barn as soon as I open the doors and just watches me." We think this is the resident female who has had several litters around the house. He thinks she may just be wanting food as she probably has a litter nearby. Breeding season is usually in February with about a 60 day gestation period so this would be right on cue with her having a litter. As the cubs get a little older it is not uncommon to see them laying by the front door or on the picnic tables behind the house just playing and lounging around. We like having them around the house and barn as they help control the rodent population. Plus, they are not really a threat to us. I would say they are more curious than anything. In my experience bobacts are much easier to call in than coyotes. Coyotes are just so damn adaptive and wily. Bobcats on the other hand are actually quite "dumb" when it comes to a call. If you move the slightest bit and a coyote spots you they will bolt and run, even from 200+ yards away. A bobcat will sit there and just look at you from 30yds away.

Edit: As suspected, Momma had three cubs in the flower bed up at the house. "She had her cubs in there day before yesterday, 3 of them. She had them up at the main house and has moved them back a forth."
4768IMG_3131 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Bobcat1

GolfCat

I would almost consider that Momma is on the verge of becoming a pet. She just lounges around while our manager works around the barn. I think with this heat she prefers laying on the shaded concrete vs outside on the rocks or dirt. I'm curious on how she will react once a group of people are down.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Hope you notify anyone on the property that she's there all the time and not trying to eat anyone. Very cool that she's just lounging around! Have to think that cool concrete is orders of magnitude more comfortable in the summer than outdoors.

GolfCat

There has been a strict no shoot for any Bobcats over the last 8-10 years put in place by my SIL. Especially, within close proximity to the house. There have been a couple shot way up on the north end which is 3 miles or so away. They have both been big ol tom's that were mounted. Ol gal should be very safe around the house. I've sat and called several in close to the house and will not shoot. Now a coyote, that is a whole different ball game.