New President's House

B

Bakertxst04

Looks like our new Pres. will get to live off-campus.

Also, why are we purchasing a $2.9 Million dollar house when our budget is reportedly tight? I'm guessing that someone at the University has a spouse that's a realtor, since I'm not sure this house is worth $2.9 Million...

LadyMango

The current presidents house is in primo real estate. This is a good thing. Its common for universities to own the presidential residence. Maybe its the Brooklyn real estate ive been looking at that has screwed up my perspective. But for somwhere pretty nice 2.9 mil doesnt sound that bad.

stallionjockey

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Saw a post from KDamp about it, said the space will be home to the new science building and a 1000 bed freshman dorm. Isn’t Mitte less than 20 years old? We already need another science building?!

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Do you mean the Supple Science Building? I took classes there. It opened my freshman year -1991 - as the New Science Building. We will ALWAYS need new buildings. That's how growth works. We certainly need new dorm space as there are ~300 students in hotels or tripled up in dorms right now.

stallionjockey

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Oh is it Supple, been a minute since I’ve been on that part of campus. Where did I get Mitte? That’s another building somewhere I guess.

And yes, if it’s been since 1991 that Supple was built then yeah, it’s time. I’m jealous of all these new buildings these kids get now, McCoy (well I got 1 year of that one), Ingram, this new science building, the expanded Rec, the expanded LBJ. Crazy

Voltronjacko

Yep, back in my day most of my business classes were in Derrick Hall. Years later, I went to the official opening of the McCoy building. So jealous of what students get to experience now (i.e. the T. Paul Bulmahn Research and Trading Lab).

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Where did I get Mitte? That’s another building somewhere I guess.
You weren't wrong on name or location, my head just connected "science" with NSB/Supple. I was curious on Mitte, so looked it up and yup - Mitte x2, same area, and technically science/science-adjacent.

Roy Mitte
With over 25 labs, the building offers a comprehensive range of technological and advanced manufacturing capabilities, which include:
• Industrial robotics
• Rapid prototyping labs and high-precision machining
• A novel, industry-funded lab for testing “Internet of Things” technologies
• A state-of-the-art lab for developing and testing technologies related to renewable and sustainable energy
• Nanoparticle and nanomaterial production research
• The only simulated rocket motor in operation at a U.S. university
• One of only four university-operated foundries in the U.S.
Department of Engineering Technology
Department of Physics
Materials Science, Engineering, and Commercialization Program
Joann Cole Mitte
School of Art and Design
Five diverse programs cross-pollinate, compelling students in the School of Art and Design to search for deeper connections between disciplines. Our students invest holistically in their own education, providing a model for other regional and national art programs. Supporting this endeavor are the more than 80 diverse faculty members dedicated to fostering conceptual and technical abilities necessary for artistic expression.

stallionjockey

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Sure enough. I was thinking it had to be around there somewhere cause Supple didn’t even stick in my mind. So guess the new science building where the old Pres House was will be part of that whole little science complex. Plus the STAAR Park stuff out on Wonder World. Moving on up!

B

Bakertxst04

When did we build the Mitte buildings?

West campus was pretty much just the science building, the rec center, Harris and Bexar Hall when I was going there.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I can’t find a definitive date, but 2018 is my best educated guess.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Mitte is definitely older than that. Construction and engineering classes were in Mitte before new Ingram building. I didn’t switch to CoSCi until 09 or 10 but pretty sure they were at least a couple years old already when I started in Fall 07

Last edited:

Jive Turkey

M&G Gift Contributor
Mitte is definitely older than that. Construction and engineering classes were in Mitte before new Ingram building. I didn’t switch to CoSCi until 09 or 10 but pretty sure they were at least a couple years old already when I started in Fall 07
I think Mitte was completed in 03 or 04. My first classes in Mitte were in 06.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Didn't want to start a new thread for land acquisition, but saw this in the doc posted about dropping Liberty/adding SHSU and thought it was interesting.

We're buying the Frost Bank building. Wonder why?

TXST: Contract Agreement with Hopkins Square, LLC Texas State University is authorized to purchase a building located at 231 North Guadalupe Street, San Marcos, Texas from Hopkins Square, LLC and execute all documents and instruments necessary to carry out this transaction, subject to approval by the Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer and approved as to legal form by the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel.
Can't remember what it was before Frost, but that's where I opened my first bank account as an adult.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Didn't want to start a new thread for land acquisition, but saw this in the doc posted about dropping Liberty/adding SHSU and thought it was interesting.

Can't remember what it was before Frost, but that's where I opened my first bank account as an adult.
That sounds awful. Like playing a single game in Huntsville.

Frost bank building - I think we’re buying every piece of property that they can get the board approved on. As they should. Never know when property will be for sale again.

Last edited:

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member

Maybe trying to establish a future Southern Boundary of campus to eventually run all the way to Hutchison and be within half a block of the square. Hays co GIS tax map shows we already own the frost bank building, the fire house studio building and the Parking lot behind Tap room. circled in blue below.