Sammie State @ NRG Tickets on Sale

Simbo0722

Anyone know what hotel will be HQ in Houston. I want to make reservations but do not want to stay at Shsu host hotel.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
No idea but the odds of you picking the SHSU hotel out of the hundreds of options are not good lol

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
At a minimum I’d hope we can at least shatter UTSA’s record (41,412) in a CCG against UNT in their climate controlled home stadium.

Anyone have the living alumni by metro city handy? I’d be curious if there are more living alumni in the Houston metro than there are undergrads + alumni in the San Marcos Austin metro.

Battle of Piney Woods record at NRG is 27,411.

If we can get 49,342 tickets sold in one of our smaller alumni areas coming off of a 4-8 season I would say the sky is the limit for ticket sales in the nation’s 5th largest metroplex. I would guess we could get a couple thousand randos up off the street to the game including some UH fans in a world of hurt in Big 12 right now.

View attachment 6631
I don't see this getting above 40K for a few reasons.

1. As history has shown, their biggest crowd for their NRG game against their BIGGEST RIVAL has been 27k. We probably don't and shouldn't move the needle for their students and any alumni from the past decade. That goes for us as well.
2. Last year for their home opener at NRG against a relatively big name they only got 25k.
3. It's much farther from SM than the Alamodome and Houston is way less fun than SA. We probably won't have nearly as much student turnout because we all know how things go when things aren't easy peasy for students.
4. SHSU clearly just has a way smaller fanbase.
5. SHSU is invisible in Houston.
6. SHSU will be 2-2 at best entering this game, likely 1-3, possibly 0-4.

But there are some factors that could swing it the other way
1. Large alumni presence for us in Houston. Like you mentioned.
2. We could very well be 3-0 going into this.
3. Older disgruntled "I went to SWT, not TXST" alumni might get up for this
4. Students from Houston might make a home visit out of it.

Last edited:

TXST04

3. Older disgruntled "I went to SWT, not TXST" alumni might get up for this
I can't recall any games against SHSU at BCS that were sellouts. Not knocking the Older disgruntled "I went to SWT, not TXST" alumni, however if they didn't get up for it while attending the university in the 90s-2010s, what make anyone think that they would get up for this 15yrs+ later.

franslasttwinkie

Anyone know what hotel will be HQ in Houston.
No but if you want to make a weekend of it and are good with dropping $500/night the Marriott Marquis downtown is an option. It's still a haul to NRG, 10-15min walk to light rail stop and then probably 30 min - an hour worth of stops to get to NRG.

As most know the immediate vicinity of NRG is in a ward that's probably only slightly better than the neighborhood UH is in. If you want to walk you can stay at the Wyndham at 610 and Kirby. It's in dire need of renovations but serves its purpose for a place to crash out.

If I book a place it will probably be the Double Tree at Main and Holcombe. Safer area and only a couple of light rail stops from the stadium or Rice Village where you can mingle with Rice grad student coeds who run the $2 beer Valhalla underground campus bar. @JustinS09 lives closer to town and probably has better suggestions.

franslasttwinkie

I don't see this getting above 40K for a few reasons.

1. As history has shown, their biggest crowd for their NRG game against their BIGGEST RIVAL has been 27k. We probably don't and shouldn't move the needle for their students and any alumni from the past decade. That goes for us as well.
The big rival you speak of SFA is an FCS school with tiny enrollment and alumni population and it is located in Nacanowhere.

3. It's much farther from SM than the Alamodome and Houston is way less fun than SA. We probably won't have nearly as much student turnout because we all know how things go when things aren't easy peasy for students.
Way less fun according to who? Our San Antonio HS football expert, BC1?
North Austin (say Round Rock, Georgetown or NW Austin Leander) is a terrible haul to the Alamodome. Only about an hr or less shorter than SMTX to NRG.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Says me. Please enlighten me so that I may enjoy the fun parts of Houston in the future. I was there for a few days for coaching school and it was a bore compared to SA. Downtown was a ghost town so we did venture out. Everything is just so spread out.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Houston is a milion times more fun than SA, but it's not set up like the tourist trap SA is. You honestly need someone from Houston to show you around. SA is better if you're in town for 1 night and need easy entertainment near the stadium.

slycat

Houston has a ton to do. It's got areas like Montrose if you like Austin. Or maybe EaDo if you like SA or Austin. The Heights if you want more high-end but hip crowd. If you want super high-end the River Oaks or Uptown areas. Rice Village and surrounding area has tons of museums and other tourist traps. Downtown tries to be something but it's nothing more than a handful of bars. Real nightlife is spread out over other districts.

And that is just scratching the surface. Point is that there's an area within the loop for everyone and their interests. Happy to provide more info as needed. Though I am almost 40 and probably aged out knowing all the more recent cool spots.

Bobcats2011

There is zero chance we end up in a long term series with SHSU like we have w/ UTSA.
They are our most played team by a long shot. 92 times. 93 after this year. I’m not saying I want it to happen, I’m just saying it’s bound to happen sooner or later. If it came to a vote of SH or utsa game obviously I’d vote utsa game every time. But sooner or later they will upgrade bowers and sooner or later their president will be calling KDamp to help set it up. Especially if there is a big crowd that shows up to NRG.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I'll bet against that. Screenshot this and if we ever ink more than a H/H w/ Sam, I'll pay $200 of your Bobcat Club membership the next year.

Bobcats2011

I'll bet against that. Screenshot this and if we ever ink more than a H/H w/ Sam, I'll pay $200 of your Bobcat Club membership the next year.
I have some friends that won a dinner with KDamp and a private concert with Curtis Grimes at KDamp house for something like 10-20 people and I’ve been told me and my wife will be invited…. Now I know what I’m going to be in his ear about all night 😂🤣.
H/H/N with additional NRG game

again, not saying a long term with Sam is what I want, but I wouldn’t be super surprised to see some 4-5 year schedules with them.
especially if we can be elitist and get a 2-1 or a 3-2 out of the deal.

if you presented my completely biased mind an option to full swap ULM with SHSU for Sunbelt membership, I was say yes in a heartbeat though. I’d probably say the same for LaTech and ULM though.

franslasttwinkie

franslasttwinkie

No idea but the odds of you picking the SHSU hotel out of the hundreds of options are not good lol
I think there is a better chance that SHSU’s budget doesn’t allow for a hotel at all than picking the same hotel. It’s not all that different of a drive than it is from Slaughter to Alamodome. It can be done easily in less than a hour and a half without traffic.

If it’s a night game they might bus down in the morning.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
@JustinS09 lives closer to town and probably has better suggestions
I'm actually out in Katy and don't venture downtown all that much anymore. I can tell you where the various night life spots are and I know they rotate by popularity every now and then, but I don't know which one is most popular now. You've got downtown, EaDo, Washington, the Heights, Midtown, and Montrose. EaDo and Downtown were the most popular the last time I was paying attention a couple years ago.

In terms of where to stay? I'd say anywhere downtown would be good. Maybe somewhere around Discovery Green or the museum district. The museum district has a Hotel ZaZa that's usually pretty nice. It would also be a short drive down Main St to NRG.