SBC Final Standings…

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Both men's and women's show improvement over last year. A-State sweep both men and women again. A-State T&F is an absolute SBC powerhouse nobody can seem to top, so overall a pretty good showing by the Bobcats. Participants will be announced for the NCAA West Prelims tomorrow, but we can expect a good amount of Bobcats to qualify. Likely around 20 individual athletes, plus both our men's relay teams and the women's 4x100 should qualify.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
1st day of the men's West Prelims were today. We had 1 athlete punch their ticket to the National Championships with freshman Chris Preddie finishing 9th in the long jump. Daniel Harrold finished 4th in the 1st round of the 110m hurdles, winning his heat, to advance to the quarterfinals of that event on Friday. Ashton Callahan finished 18th in the 1st round of the 200m to advance to the quarterfinals of that event Friday also.

Grady Leonard set a school record in the hammer throw but finished in 13th to be the 1st guy out of making it to the National Championships (top 12 qualify).

Others eliminated on Wednesday:
Grady Leonard - Shot put
Simon Thor - Javelin
Simon Thor - Pole vault
Ashton Callahan - 100m
Dominick Yancy - 400m (finished 25th and top 24 advance to Friday's quarterfinals).
Taahir Kelly - 400m

Women's 1st day is tomorrow and the men wrap up Friday.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Not going to post the whole article, because it's pretty long, but great piece on those kids:

The Texas State Fab Five
Five track and field Bobcats are set to compete at the NCAA West Prelims this week
A year ago this time, five track and field athletes from different levels of backgrounds were competing across the world.

One was competing internationally in Germany.

Two were competing in the Texas high school state championships, representing communities that do not send too many athletes to that stage.

Another one was also competing in states in Texas, but he had no college offers and was considering playing another sport entirely at the collegiate level.

And the final one had all but given up hope that she was going to be able to come to the United States.

Flash forward to present day, and those five athletes have converged on to one place – San Marcos, Texas – and will wear the same TXST logo across their chests.

Not only will they share the bond of competing for Texas State at the NCAA West Prelims in Sacramento this week, but they also share a similar quality: they are all freshmen.

The five freshman Bobcats are near the most, if not the most, ever qualified for the NCAA outdoor track and field regionals in program history. They are one step away from competing among the best at the on NCAA Division I’s biggest stage.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Women's results from Thursday:
Elisabet Runarsdottir finished 9th in the hammer throw to advance to the National Championships. So that's 1 for the men (Chris Preddie - Long Jump) and 1 for the women now who will compete in the National Championships.
Sedrickia Wynn advanced to the quarterfinals in 3 separate events (100m hurdles, 100m, 200m). Top 12 in each event advance to National Championships. After the 1st round she was 7th in the 100m hurdles, 12th in the 100m, and 13th in the 200m. She'll compete in quarterfinals in all 3 today.

Men's results from Friday didn't go well as nobody else advanced to the championships. Again, top 12 in each event move on:
- Aiden Hayes finished 23rd in High Jump
- Preddie didn't register a jump in triple jump
- 4 x 100 team finished 23rd
- 4 x 400 team finished 19th
- Daniel Harrold finished 16th in the 110m hurdles
- Ashton Callahan finished 19th in the 200m

Bobcat1

Women's results from Thursday:
Elisabet Runarsdottir finished 9th in the hammer throw to advance to the National Championships. So that's 1 for the men (Chris Preddie - Long Jump) and 1 for the women now who will compete in the National Championships.
Sedrickia Wynn advanced to the quarterfinals in 3 separate events (100m hurdles, 100m, 200m). Top 12 in each event advance to National Championships. After the 1st round she was 7th in the 100m hurdles, 12th in the 100m, and 13th in the 200m. She'll compete in quarterfinals in all 3 today.

Men's results from Friday didn't go well as nobody else advanced to the championships. Again, top 12 in each event move on:
- Aiden Hayes finished 23rd in High Jump
- Preddie didn't register a jump in triple jump
- 4 x 100 team finished 23rd
- 4 x 400 team finished 19th
- Daniel Harrold finished 16th in the 110m hurdles
- Ashton Callahan finished 19th in the 200m
That 4 X 400 was a surprise, I thought for sure they would make it. But we ***should*** have three represent with Wynn going in two but possibly all three events.

Trivia for y’all: what was the highest team placement for TXST ever at the NCAA Champs…and how many athletes competed that year? Look it up, it’s a 🤯 good one.😁😁

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
To recap we have 3 that made it to the National Championships (which are in Austin this year, which surprises me as I thought they were always in Eugene).

1 on the men's side:
Chris Preddie - Long Jump

2 on the women's side:
Elisabet Runarsdottir - Hammer Throw
Sedrickia Wynn - 100m Hurdles

Entire meet will be Wednesday-Saturday this week. Schedule for each event:
Men's Long Jump - Wednesday 6/7 - 8pm
Women's Hammer Throw - Thursday 6/8 - 3:30pm
Women's 100m Hurdles - Semifinals - Thursday 6/8 - 8:32pm (Finals would be Saturday 6/10 at 8:42pm if she makes it)
Wednesday is on ESPNU and Thursday-Saturday will be on ESPN2 though coverage won't start till the evening each night.

Preddie's seed mark is tied for 15th nationally.
Wynn's is 24th (out of 24), so she may have a tough time
Runnarsdottir is 17th.

Top 8 score team points. So picking up any points at all would be a good showing for us.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
All-American honors in track are strictly results based I'm pretty sure vs. voted on like other sports.

Top 8 in the national meet are 1st-team All-Americans and 9-16 are 2nd-team if I'm not mistaken. So by finishing 14th he makes 2nd-team All-American. Just a freshman, will be interesting to see how his career progresses. It's not atypical I feel like to see some track athletes actually decline a bit as they reach their upperclassmen years. Hopefully he can continue to improve and compete for 1st-team AA or even a podium finish or national championship before his career is up. A South Alabama athlete won the pole vault so it can be done.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Hopefully he can continue to improve and compete for 1st-team AA or even a podium finish or national championship before his career is up.
*while staying at TXST.

I am paranoid every good freshman or sophomore athlete is going to get poached by the big dogs now.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yeah me too. I don't even want to type it out...

I'm sticking to my opinion that we're the biggest of dogs and the best in the world and nobody would want to leave this paradise.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Runnarsdottir leading Flight 1 currently. Flight 2 (with all the favorites) about to start.

On ESPN+ if anyone interested.