Softball Hosting a Regional?

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Weird, everyone reporting we're actually the 2 seed, not the 3 seed. Makes more sense, but still got screwed. I hope our team goes in with a chip on their shoulder and runs everyone off the field in this regional.

franslasttwinkie

Got snubbed. Not only did we not get the host seed
I’m not sure that it really matters whether we are the #2/#3 seed unless the #3 in Austin knocks off Texas then I think we would host the super if we advanced.

Either way you don’t want to be paired with the #1 overall national seed for a Super, especially when you could have been hosting the opening regional in San Marcos. Not that we should even be thinking about who we would play in a Super but if we get there hell yeah I want to take a game from UT while we’re there.

More than anything what erks me the most is that we are not just hosting we are playing at one of the most obnoxious and big softball parks in the country.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I think I would rather advance to Super Regional than host a Regional. I think this regional gives maybe the best chance we've ever had to finally advance to Super Regional. Beating ATM and reinforcing our dominance over Penn State would be a bonus.
Hosting a regional theoretically makes you the best in the field. It's an added benefit that you play at home. Not saying we were guarenteed to get an easier path to a Super if we had been the host team, but playing at home against teams that are ranked below us would likely have been more favorable for us.

Something else to think about. We have proven we can beat A&M at home, but can we beat them not even at a neutral site, but AT A&M? I'd like to think so, but you never know. Especially when you have to beat them twice.

franslasttwinkie

I think playing in this Super Regional bracket would have been our best chance at getting a win in a Super game in the rare event that we advanced. IMO neither Arkansas nor OSU are playing their best ball right now. Arkansas lost 2/3 to Ole Miss and despite taking 2/3 in Norman OSU dropped 2/3 to ISU.

Texas is a juggernaut this year, they didn't limp into the #1 overall by chance. They have 2-3 elite pitchers and they get plenty of hitting run support to go along with it. Taking Arizona's place and drawing a matchup against Villanova would have been a lot more favorable than Penn St.