Texas State #5 party school!

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor

Texas State University in San Marcos is a prime example of a college town where the university’s presence is deeply interwoven with the city’s identity. With a large student population, the city thrives with a youthful energy, making it an ideal location for college life.
The highlight of the social calendar at Texas State is Riverfest. This annual spring concert has become the most anticipated event of the year, as evidenced by a poll of students on Niche. This event encapsulates the spirit of Texas State, bringing together students in a celebration of music and camaraderie set against the picturesque backdrop of San Marcos. It’s a time when the campus community comes together to enjoy the warm Texas weather, great music, and the strong sense of unity that defines Texas State University.

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member

Texas State University in San Marcos is a prime example of a college town where the university’s presence is deeply interwoven with the city’s identity. With a large student population, the city thrives with a youthful energy, making it an ideal location for college life.
The highlight of the social calendar at Texas State is Riverfest. This annual spring concert has become the most anticipated event of the year, as evidenced by a poll of students on Niche. This event encapsulates the spirit of Texas State, bringing together students in a celebration of music and camaraderie set against the picturesque backdrop of San Marcos. It’s a time when the campus community comes together to enjoy the warm Texas weather, great music, and the strong sense of unity that defines Texas State University.
Did they not see what our Alumni did at our 1st Bowl Game?!?!
We gotta pump those numbers up to support our current students so we get Top 3!

Professorbum

When we moved here, we rented initially and had some time to scope out the towns in the area. A lot of faculty live in south Austin. Many live in New Braunfels. A few in Kyle and Buda. Everywhere but San Marcos. Some people said the school districts are better in these other locations. But the number one reason we were told not to live in San Marcos was that it was too much of a college town. Too many college students. Um, that's kind of the point. Little did people know that that's precisely the kind of town I wanted to live in. So, we bought in San Marcos. And we love it. Short commute. The downtown is pretty much always alive. People are friendly. I can easily go to as many college basketball games as I'd like. Very happy living in SM.

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
When we moved here, we rented initially and had some time to scope out the towns in the area. A lot of faculty live in south Austin. Many live in New Braunfels. A few in Kyle and Buda. Everywhere but San Marcos. Some people said the school districts are better in these other locations. But the number one reason we were told not to live in San Marcos was that it was too much of a college town. Too many college students. Um, that's kind of the point. Little did people know that that's precisely the kind of town I wanted to live in. So, we bought in San Marcos. And we love it. Short commute. The downtown is pretty much always alive. People are friendly. I can easily go to as many college basketball games as I'd like. Very happy living in SM.
I don't know what department you're in, but there is an above average number of Geo Department faculty that live in Slam Marvelous.
However, I only knew 1 CJ professor that lived inside the city limits. Not counting adjunt that worked for the local departments.

Professorbum

I don't know what department you're in, but there is an above average number of Geo Department faculty that live in Slam Marvelous.
However, I only knew 1 CJ professor that lived inside the city limits. Not counting adjunt that worked for the local departments.
Yeah, I'm in CJ. I'm aware of only one faculty member in my school that lives in SM and he worked for the city before becoming a college prof.

The funny thing is, SM is centrally-located between the folks closer to Austin and those in NB. So we tend to gather for drinks and such in SM. That works great for me.

carmanjello325

is this figure good? Median earnings six years after graduation: $45,700. the article had to butcher that from niche. think that should have read 6 yrs after enrollment not graduation

slycat

I bet it's accurate based on the people I graduated with. Many are teachers and some just went back to their hometowns for hourly jobs.

Heck, I graduated during the recession and took a terrible paying job with the State. I was making more than that six years out but not by much. Now I make way more but it took a while.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
is this figure good? Median earnings six years after graduation: $45,700. the article had to butcher that from niche. think that should have read 6 yrs after enrollment not graduation
6 years after enrollment? I was still in school? 6 years after graduation was definitely over that but not by too much on the salary…. But I was in a position where my basically was matching or exceeding salary in monthly/quarterly bonuses… I wonder if that is on these calculations or just base salary.

franslasttwinkie

I know Sly tends to disagree with my takes on government employees (I have been on the receiving end of working closely with our federal government in the private sector the last half decade for my job and no I don't work for Lockheed, Boeing or Raytheon but that would be a pretty lucrative gig) but most public school teachers I've known even at the elementary level have been at the high 50K to mid 60K range less than 5 years out of school.

slycat

I know Sly tends to disagree with my takes on government employees (I have been on the receiving end of working closely with our federal government in the private sector the last half decade for my job and no I don't work for Lockheed, Boeing or Raytheon but that would be a pretty lucrative gig) but most public school teachers I've known even at the elementary level have been at the high 50K to mid 60K range less than 5 years out of school.
You are right on their salaries. I know myself and some others that made well bow that working for different Texas state agencies. Of course I make 5x or more than I did back then. But what's crazy to me is seeing the number of friends that came out struggling in the mid 2000s. So many went back to home towns and got trash part time jobs that should have been summer jobs in college.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
You are right on their salaries. I know myself and some others that made well bow that working for different Texas state agencies. Of course I make 5x or more than I did back then. But what's crazy to me is seeing the number of friends that came out struggling in the mid 2000s. So many went back to home towns and got trash part time jobs that should have been summer jobs in college.
Yeah I was dating an elementary school teacher off and on right out of college and some while still there and every summer she worked as a bartender at the ski lodge on lake McQueeney and other random events.
I came out making 60k a year right away thinking I was hot shit 😂. I did move home for 8 months though to pay off credit card and save up some change. Then got an apartment in NB and bought a truck and then I quickly realized 60 wasn’t shit and need to make more ha

franslasttwinkie

I came out making 60k a year right away thinking I was hot shit
Most definitely is a lot, certainly even more true 12 years ago. Only people I knew recording offers like that range straight out of undergrad were petroleum engineers and BSN nurses. I took the 1st offer the week after graduation to work a call sales center making a smidge above the poverty line on the base pay with a crappy commission structure. But hey health insurance...

From the sound of things Sly 5Xing his graduation pay he could be a BMD if he wanted to be :)

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Most definitely is a lot, certainly even more true 12 years ago. Only people I knew recording offers like that range straight out of undergrad were petroleum engineers and BSN nurses. I took the 1st offer the week after graduation to work a call sales center making a smidge above the poverty line on the base pay with a crappy commission structure. But hey health insurance...

From the sound of things Sly 5Xing his graduation pay he could be a BMD if he wanted to be :)
Oh don’t be tricked by the 2011… that’s my “class” or when I was supposed to graduate. No one graduates in 4 years. I didnt graduate until Dec ‘14.
was already working for the company as an intern at a whopping $15/hour My last semester when I only had one class left. Was plenty to live high on the hog in SM with parents still helping out some. Not engineering for me but construction science w/ business admin minor (engineering Buikding/college at state though) And worked for one of the nation/world’s biggest commercial construction companies as a field engineer.

honestly was not a great employee as an intern either as I was living in the frat house my last semester because wasn’t gonna pay $1000 a month for a short lease. I pretty much got that full time offer for connections in utility world and got us a gas meter right before a huge winter storm on the elementary school we were building that kids were already in. Wasn’t even in the meeting with district hounding the team about the issue, I was a pee on in the room next door doing paperwork, just overhead the problem and made a phone call and had a rep there in 10-15 minutes that they had been trying to get there for 2+ months. 🤣😂

slycat

I try to find ways to donate. But my wife gets a day too. She supports. College athletes since she ran XC and track and a D3 school. We have supported the auction at the Bonanza among other things. Probably buying season tickets again this year. Been a while since I have but plan to jump back on it this season.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
I try to find ways to donate. But my wife gets a day too. She supports. College athletes since she ran XC and track and a D3 school. We have supported the auction at the Bonanza among other things. Probably buying season tickets again this year. Been a while since I have but plan to jump back on it this season.
I’m going on 2nd year of baseball season ticket holder in priority and next year will be 2nd in a row in priority seating for football. I get top row first deck… extremely expensive compared to a few rows ahead of it but I like being able to walk straight off the concourse and jump over my seat. Also had season tickets 2-3 years after graduating, taking advantage of that early alumni deal where you don’t have to pay the donation.
Went Diamond club level this past year but I had some help from a family friend that bought a few tickets under me