Tier 1

vp98

I ran across this today. This is a report on university endowments. I think we are doing pretty well considering that there was no endowment when I started in '94. By '98 (before changing the name) we conducted the Centennial Campaign where the goal was to raise $60 million. I remember how many of us scoffed at that amount. By the time I left the endowment had $100 million. It is now up to $225,520 #299 out of 717 on this list. The 8.18% is change in market value from FY 2019 to FY 2020. If you ask me not bad results. For the record The University of Texas System is one endowment and is about $32 Billion. I'm not sure if that includes the PUF. The A&M System is #8 at around $13 Billion.

1665161466215.png

Someone

that NACUBO number is one year dated, but unfortunately with the newest data the Texas State university System has seen fit to aggregate all of their universities into a single report (similar to the UT, Texas Tech, aggy, and UH systems) which means one has no way to use that data to compare to others at the same time using the same reporting standards

I wish all of the above universities would stop doing that, but it is what they do

the UT and aggy numbers do include their portions of the PUF

here is what Texas State has on their own website

Endowment Growth: $165 million in 2014 to $343 million in 2022 (as of May 31, 2022)

interestingly the NRUF report from May 2022 has $299 million, but it could have been reported at the end of the fiscal year 2021 which would have been Aug 31 2021 and not when the report was written in May of 2022

either number is probably down with the stock market behavior lately, but still getting close to what is needed

still need to either hire 5 National Academy members (inventors does not count) or have 5 graduate programs with AAU like metrics to qualify in a two years or so along with the $45 million in restricted research which looks to be progressing towards that goal

vp98

I sure hope this puts us over the top. I like many are starting to get antsy about Tier I.

Someone

newest NRUF report out and looks like it will be the last if the TUF bill passes....I personally see some issues with the bill cutting UTSA, UTD, and UTA out of the equation along with UTEP eventually.....they actually do not "benefit" from the PUF that is a misconception and incorrect

in addition I have an issue with just handing the money off especially to schools that have not even met the NRUF requirements yet.....yes I understand Texas State has not met them yet, but they will very soon and the money should come with earning it....in reality 14 years after the NRUF was put in place those requirements are really not that high of a bar and they were not that high of a bar back in 2009 for that matter

in the report itself Texas State had another impressive bump in restricted research of $8 million and a nice bump in endowment of $35 million

the other metrics stayed about the same the doctoral graduation rate drop is really not an issue for NRUF (especially since it is going away), but it was not a factor anyway

here are some other interesting numbers from The State of Texas

2021 Public Universities Texas Tech University Students in Texas Top 10% 1,338
2021 Public Universities University of Houston Students in Texas Top 10% 1,331
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at Arlington Students in Texas Top 10% 941
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at Dallas Students in Texas Top 10% 884
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at San Antonio Students in Texas Top 10% 859
2021 Public Universities Texas State University Students in Texas Top 10% 809
2021 Public Universities University of North Texas Students in Texas Top 10% 764
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at El Paso Students in Texas Top 10% 460

2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at San Antonio Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,902
2021 Public Universities Texas State University Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,818
2021 Public Universities Texas Tech University Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,771
2021 Public Universities University of Houston Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,588
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at Arlington Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,374
2021 Public Universities University of North Texas Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,089
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at Dallas Students in Texas 11%-25% 806
2021 Public Universities The University of Texas at El Paso Students in Texas 11%-25% 588

2022 Public Universities University of Houston Students in Texas Top 10% 1,479
2022 Public Universities Texas Tech University Students in Texas Top 10% 1,079
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at Arlington Students in Texas Top 10% 1,014
2022 Public Universities Texas State University Students in Texas Top 10% 931
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at San Antonio Students in Texas Top 10% 928
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at Dallas Students in Texas Top 10% 899
2022 Public Universities University of North Texas Students in Texas Top 10% 567
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at El Paso Students in Texas Top 10% 539

2022 Public Universities Texas State University Students in Texas 11%-25% 2,094
2022 Public Universities Texas Tech University Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,986
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at San Antonio Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,969
2022 Public Universities University of Houston Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,605
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at Arlington Students in Texas 11%-25% 1,245
2022 Public Universities University of North Texas Students in Texas 11%-25% 824
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at Dallas Students in Texas 11%-25% 775
2022 Public Universities The University of Texas at El Paso Students in Texas 11%-25% 759

one should keep in mind on those numbers with the top 10% numbers that represents a real student choice with no restrictions because every top 10% student in Texas can go to every public university in Texas with the exception of UT Austin and to a degree A&M because A&M has a lot of restrictions on many of their more popular degree plans even for top 10%......I do not think any of the others do

with the 11% - 25% there is still a lot of choice involved, but UTD has a lot higher testing score requirements for those in that % group and Texas Tech also has higher requirements than the others in the group, but not as high as UTD......the others in the group have more similar testing score requirements for 11%-25% so this metric represents some "choice" for those involved.....of course staying home, degree plan offerings and other factors matter (and same with top 10%), but still it is a metric that shows some choice being made by students in a desired metric

there are other metrics here for people to look over and consider

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That's actually really promising data - thanks for sharing.

slycat

Love that data. I was a 11-25% student and picked TXST and turned down A&M acceptance. TXST seeming to move up the "back-up" school list. I am sure there is some factor of students that didn't get auto to UT trying a year in SM to then move to UT but still good news.

franslasttwinkie

I'm sure a big reason for UTSA to have as much in the 11-25% as they do is the CAPs program luring people in making them think that they will be on a preferred list to transfer into UT-McCombs but a lot of them never make it and get stuck or go somewhere else. Remove UTSA from the UT system and very little would go there of their own choosing.

TTU does have a very competitive first-time freshman (directly out of HS with little or no college credit) review system for those seeking immediate Rawls business admission, which is how I wound up at TXST being in the top 1/4 of a great HS wasn't enough right away.

franslasttwinkie

I am sure there is some factor of students that didn't get auto to UT trying a year in SM to then move to UT but still good news.
I remember looking at transfer admissions for A&M vs UT sophomore yr (neither of which I even applied to out of HS) and I had met the criteria to get assured admission to A&M- Mays college but would have been put on review for UT general admission and I made the decision to stand pat in McCoy.

Someone

the CAPs program is dying even at UTSA....the main issue is getting into McCombs or Cockrell or other popular colleges at UT is still not guaranteed and very competitive even with CAPs as stated above you pretty much get into "general admissions" and from there once at UT is is even harder to transfer into a preferred college

for UTSA I think they have built some dorms, major athletics investment (not really a wise reason to choose a university, but lets be honest that is what college sports are about for a university one should look at the out of state enrollment for Alabama and where they draw from) and UTSA did finally raise their admissions requirements in one fell swoop (and took a large enrollment drop and several years to recover), but it overall made it more appealing and less of "I get in there because I can breath" situation....UTEP is on an island of course, but they still suffer from their last president and her decades long quest to be a 4 year community college and their enrollment shows that

new blood at president, degree program realignment, growth for engineering still in the future, new STEM oriented buildings, and a massive expansion and total overhaul of dorms (that is about complete) all work in favor of Texas State.....the one downside is the capital campaign that was started under Truath was too small, too long, and not well publicized and of course spreads over the change in administrations....it appears as though it is being wrapped up early and kind of "quietly" although it seems to have brought in some money.....it will be interesting to me if that is because of a desire to "get it done", move past it, and in a shorter than normal period of time come out with a new one with a larger goal, more publicity, an aggressive time line, and aggressive leadership

this TUF money will help things for sure I wish there was a "competitive" nature to it because Texas State has done as well as they can IMO with the exception of private money being raised and it is clear that UTD, UTA, and UTSA stepped up as well....the reality is UH and Texas Tech were pretty much locks to get the funding when it was started and both got the funding as soon as possible.....and it is also clear that UTEP and north Texas state have really not done a whole lot so really elevate themselves although it looks like UTEP might be closer than thought....but again it looks like the NRUF is dead anyway.....but the quest for that money did spark Texas State for sure

Last edited:

vp98

I've seen several Valedictorians and Salutatorians from this area choose UTA over the past several years. Cost and familiarity go along with that as well as UTA has agreements with Arlington and Grand Prairie ISD for acceptance and aid. I also know of quite a few kids who went off to national universities and then came home and finished at UTA. Having that many transfer students brings down your rankings but those are good students. Texas State really needs to make R1 and Tier 1 in the next go around. I think I saw 2017 as being the next round.

franslasttwinkie

Having that many transfer students brings down your rankings
I would think you would prefer transfer ins vs transfer outs, no? Transfer outs can indicate that the school was just a stepping stone but I guess transfer ins you can get kids that maybe going to school wasn’t meant to be.

vp98

I would think you would prefer transfer ins vs transfer outs, no? Transfer outs can indicate that the school was just a stepping stone but I guess transfer ins you can get kids that maybe going to school wasn’t meant to be.
UTA has a lot of transfer ins when they come back home to Mama from their national school. USnooze knows that and that results in a lower ranking.