Transfer portal players

Bobcat1

Wonder if this is a result of Coach Johnson going small ball like a lot of NBA teams are trying to do.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I’m not too sure. Still have Cesar and Martin at the 5 next season. Small supposedly coming back as the stretch 4. Hope these two guys land on their feet somewhere. They both have been here four years, so hopefully getting their degrees come May.

Wasn’t a big fan of Scott. Dude took too many long twos and was just so inefficient. However, he came in as a walk-on and not only gained a scholarship but also carved at a role for a few years on this team. Can only respect that. Sule I was thinking was primed to take the next step this season and it just never happened. Cesar-Martin should be solid at the 5 with Scott playing spot minutes there when we do go small/they get in foul trouble. Hix was on the roster as a 4. We’ll see who Johnson is able to add.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Wonder if this is a result of Coach Johnson going small ball like a lot of NBA teams are trying to do.
Maybe Sule just couldn't handle the pressure of having the offense funneled through him, or the expectations of leading the scoring committee.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Maybe Sule just couldn't handle the pressure of having the offense funneled through him, or the expectations of leading the scoring committee.
Who knows but either way he was a huge disappointment this season. Heck had he been the player he was last year we probably dont lose to OLLU or any of the ULL games. It seemed like he could not finish at the rim. Good luck to him. Such great potential, too bad he couldn't get it done here.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Agree on the potential, but I think we based that on his height and athletic ability alone - his actual basketball ability was minimal. You could not be more spot on about his ability to finish at the rim - the amount of missed shots from inside of 3' was mind numbing.

Also, I was being facetious in the previous post. He was never going to be the focal point of the offense, or a main scoring threat. TJ actually knows basketball, unlike Taxi.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Agree on the potential, but I think we based that on his height and athletic ability alone - his actual basketball ability was minimal. You could not be more spot on about his ability to finish at the rim - the amount of missed shots from inside of 3' was mind numbing.

Also, I was being facetious in the previous post. He was never going to be the focal point of the offense, or a main scoring threat. TJ actually knows basketball, unlike Taxi.
He also frequently had the ball stripped or stolen when posting up. Drove me nuts.

Keff pointed out on twitter this actually frees up some spots for recruiting since eligibility has been extended. I kinda think sule was expecting martin to eat up more of his hours. Scott never had many to begin with.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Only played 3 games for us this season. Denver, Texas, and UL Monroe. So far it looks like people who don't see a fit for them next season showing themselves out.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Yea Hix did nothing. Thought after Scott left he may keep the role as backup 4 and only get ~10min/gm as Small will play a lot. Maybe Wallace is that guy at the 4? He was bigger than the typical guys playing the 3 but probably need a juco/transfer at that spot to play behind Small then takeover after a season.

Bobcat1

Yea Hix did nothing. Thought after Scott left he may keep the role as backup 4 and only get ~10min/gm as Small will play a lot. Maybe Wallace is that guy at the 4? He was bigger than the typical guys playing the 3 but probably need a juco/transfer at that spot to play behind Small then takeover after a season.

This much turnover is starting to be a bit concerning, it seems that Coach Johnson is going to completely retool the offense. We'll see how it goes. 🤔

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
This much turnover is starting to be a bit concerning, it seems that Coach Johnson is going to completely retool the offense. We'll see how it goes. 🤔
Scott and Hix were barely in the offense this year. Sule is the only transfer with noteable minutes. I feel like we (you) have been talking for a whole year about how the offense was supposed to flow through Sule but never did. Maybe we go find someone that is a little better for what we are trying to do and take the next step next year.

Bobcat1

Scott and Hix were barely in the offense this year. Sule is the only transfer with noteable minutes. I feel like we (you) have been talking for a whole year about how the offense was supposed to flow through Sule but never did. Maybe we go find someone that is a little better for what we are trying to do and take the next step next year.

He's retooling the offense to be run through the guards, I didn't mention anything about Sule specifically.