Victory star

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
I know this is off topic, but this channel gets the most eyeballs. Do any olt timers here know the origins of the victory star. Is that a student started thing or the university building "tradition"?

TXST

History
The star is a tradition that dates back to 1936 when it first appeared as a Christmas decoration on a water tower where the chemistry building stands today. In the 1940s the star was found in storage by a night watchman. It was returned to the water tower and dubbed the Victory Star to be lighted when the Bobcats won a game.

For many years, the Victory Star sat atop the 11-story Jackson Hall — the tallest building in Hays County — where it could be seen for miles. In 2019, the star was removed from Jackson during roof repairs and renovations.

SWTSC

off topic...thought I’d mention that I like your avatar. It’s been 45years + since losing my ring in the Pacific Ocean off the beach of Carseras, Nicaragua.

slycat

Still haven't decided if I'm a fan of the current placement. I like the idea of it being visible across campus or from I-35.
I hate the new location. It was great when I'd drive back to campus at night or by on 35 and know they had won without having to look up the score.

TXST04

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That tweet has nothing to do w/ the actual Victory Star. It's about the NIL program and an announcement about a signing - Jordan McCloud.

atxman

KD in a Facebook comment a couple of weeks ago said they couldn’t put the new Victory Star on the hilltop complex — it was too late to make the necessary construction change when he had asked about it. But he said they will put it on another building that needed roof work and that has almost the same visibility. He indicated the timing was within a few months and that there would be some enhancement he hoped folks would like. I’m looking forward to, I hope, seeing the Victory Star from the highway once again.

Simbo0722

KD in a Facebook comment a couple of weeks ago said they couldn’t put the new Victory Star on the hilltop complex — it was too late to make the necessary construction change when he had asked about it. But he said they will put it on another building that needed roof work and that has almost the same visibility. He indicated the timing was within a few months and that there would be some enhancement he hoped folks would like. I’m looking forward to, I hope, seeing the Victory Star from the highway once again.
How about some good old fashioned search lights on top of the press box? Much easier to see than a star. Although it was nice when it was atop Jackson Hall, in the late 70's when nothing was even close to blocking the view....

Last edited: