When did you graduate or become a fan?

slycat

I was curious when y'all either went to school in San Marcos or for those that are fans but maybe didn't attend the school, when you started following the program.

I started at SWT a month before the name change in 2003 and graduated from TXST in 2007. Started attending games freshman year and followed the 2002 season loosely online my senior year of highs school once I knew where I wanted to go to college.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
I started at TXST in January 2005 and graduated in May 2007. I attended the local community college for a couple of years after high school, but if I had gone straight to San Marcos after high school, I would have attended the last year under the name SWT.
My first season as a TXST student was the magical 2005 season, though I went to a SWT game in San Marcos in 1996 and to the game at Baylor in 2004 once I had decided to transfer to TXST.

franslasttwinkie

Had honestly never heard of it until my brother started dating my sister in law who graduated there in May 2005. She was a Zeta.

Went to plenty of games (in total) as an undergrad because it wasn’t a complete afterthought in the Greek Circuit, even to support a sub par FCS team. Still it wasn’t a top priority. Didn’t really click as a priority until as an alum we played TTU in 2012 on ESPN3 when that was hard to come by back then. Was a lot more committed to baseball games as an undergrad. Rightfully so, one of the best eras ever.

Watched and entered tons of bowl mania bracket pools growing up but knew next to nothing about fcs

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Got to campus Fall of 91, took 94 off to work, came back full time for a year, then was working and taking classes when I could, finally walked in Dec 99. Went to games when I was here because we were forced to as pledges, and then because a couple of fraternity brothers were on the team. Only game I went to between then and 2011 was the 2005 kneel down game. Once the decision was made to move to FBS, I have been at almost every home game, and maybe 10-12 road games.

Marcato

Graduated in December 2018. Went to a couple games my freshman year (2014), the Navy game and ULL I believe. The next year I started going to every home game and continued to do that through the 2018 season.

Unfortunately, I had to move all around the country after that for a few years doing seasonal jobs (typical in my field), so I had to watch online/over TV. Now I'm in grad school at A-state, so the only games i've been able to go to the past few years were @ A-state in '21 and '23, and the bowl game.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Was in school from 09-13. I started following TXST when I became a student. Both of my parents went to SWT and I was originally dead set against going to the same college my parents went to. They said that's fine, but wanted me to at least take a tour of campus. After seeing the campus, the true college town, and the river I was sold.

Ended up going to as many games as possible since you get in for free as a student. I actually won the Promise of Pride rewards program one year for attending more games than any other student. Those were fun times.

Last edited:

CatMom

Daughter started at SWT in 2003 (after classes at Austin CC), right before the name change. She got her BA in 2004 and MA in 2007. I started going to games at the end of 2004 and never missed a home game between then and 2014; when we moved to Corpus Christi (Navy game was my last). I got to numerous away games, too.
Since the move I haven't been able to get to games because I'd have to make the trip alone and I can't do that round trip in a single day. It's too much for me. I hope to get to Houston this year for the SAM game.
I keep up via Twitter, Face Book, and being a moderator on the Sun Belt Forum; plus subscribing to whatever service I need to get games.
If you're on Twitter (X), hit me up. I'm @CatMom1955

FWIW - she got her PhD from Duquesne U in December 2021. (she's lived in the Pittsburgh area since 2013)

stallionjockey

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Fall 2002- December 2007 here, finally graduated :LOL:

San Marcos provided me with a lifetime of memories and some lifetime best friends. SWT was the only place I applied to out of High School (in a class of 90 in West Texas, whew boy was San Marcos a culture shock, even 20 years ago), even as a Top 10% graduate, all because of a family trip to Aquarena when I was 11. The town, the river, Old Main, the campus just stuck with me and I fell in love with it.
I’m thoroughly convinced that the people who don’t love smSWT/Texas State as alums are the ones who didn’t try to love it. What’s not to love about the entire experience?!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Bit of a story myself.

I attended Navy AECF, FC "A" school, Mk. 92 mod 2 and mod 6 "C" schools (about 2 years of electronics, radar, weapons guidance system training before setting foot on a ship) After I left the Navy, there weren't a lot of honest jobs available for guys who knew how to blow stuff up with missiles, and the idea of working on radars for the rest of my life sounded painfully boring. I moved back to the family ranch near Blanco. I took a tech job in San Antonio repairing cell phones and computers, then met and started dating a TXST sorority girl. I fell in love with her and San Marcos, but she was just slumming it with me for her last couple of semesters. lol

Her parents hated that I didn't have a degree and they told her that I would always be "beneath her" because of it. It was ironic because although she was a senior in college, the only part of school she was any good at was partying. She ended up making the dean's list (her first and only time) during her last semester because the guy without the degree ended up tutoring her and convincing her to stay in on school nights. We broke up right around her graduation and she moved away.

I shouldn't have let it bother me as much as it did, but it didn't sit well knowing that I could probably do intellectual laps on some of the people who were looking down at me for not having a degree. I also missed San Marcos terribly, so I applied/enrolled at Texas State the next year. It was kind of a petty reason to go to college, but it worked out for the best.

I didn't get hooked into Bobcat sports right away. I mostly did volunteer work with SVC. (TXST habitat for humanity-Bobcat break, Bobcat build, etc.) I loved basketball and attended a few games, but the product was unwatchable under Davalos. I only made one football game I think (it was a loss), but I was part of the student body vote to fund the FBS transition. I started taking an interest then.

During my junior year, I drew some seriously bad luck with roommates and I ended up without a place to stay. I had to drop out mid semester to move to the Houston area with my father. I took a job as a wrangler at a boarding & hunter/jumper facility planning to come back and finish school when I had enough saved. However, I got promoted to ranch foreman within a couple of months, so I stayed.

I kept up with TXST though. I made it to basketball road games at UNLV, Houston, Houston Christian and Rice, even a couple games in San Marcos.

Ten years later COVID hit, and the ranch went under during the lockdowns. My options at that point were either get a new job, or finish school and get a new job. The rest is history.

I graduate in May so my time here may be ending soon, but I go to every athletic event I have the energy for now. I've made about 75% of the soccer home matches, dozens of MBB/WBB/Volleyball games... every home football game the last two seasons and a couple away games. The only sports I haven't gotten into are softball and baseball (never been into those sports), but I've decided I'm going to give them a shot this spring.